cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric Fridge, Now That Hole in the Side..

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Going electric and removing the propane fridge leaves a big hole in the roof and the side.
Who has closed these up permanently?

I do not see any products out there so assume it is DIY from here on.
14 REPLIES 14

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
neschultz wrote:
stevemorris wrote:
neschultz wrote:
PNW_Steve wrote:

If you close off the outside vents you are going to come up with some sort of ventilation for the condenser.

Why, my residential fridge at home doesnโ€™t vent to the outside?

In my case, the condenser is in the bottom and I figured that air would go in at the bottom and out the top and sides, just like in a house.

I have been thinking about closing the top vent though to prevent moisture and outside temps from leaking in. You think thatโ€™s a bad idea?

compressor fridges don't need ventilation they need circulation. all fridges give off heat, a fridge with no ventilation will heat up your trailer, big difference between a 100 sqft trailer vs 1000 sqft house!

I donโ€™t think that heat from the refrigerator is a big concern. Our 10 cubic foot residential model only uses 140 watts when itโ€™s running. And our 40โ€™ 5th wheel is at least 400 sq. ft. with the 4 slides open.

Keep in mind itโ€™s a heat pump- you are getting way more than 140 watts of heat, youโ€™re probably getting 3-5000 btu of heat.
-- Chris Bryant

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
There is a big difference in the Danfoss-style compressors and the less expensive dorm or household fridge compressors that do put out lots of heat and eat up a lot of power.

The RV / portable compressor fridges will not need outside venting. It seems better to put the heat into the cabin than to let hot air circulate over the back of the fridge, which will be hard to seal off. If it is a chest freezer then very impractical to seal off.

If you have an AirC running then you will not need to worry about the state of charge on batteries, and if you are running the fridge off batteries (likely not plugged into AC power), then the cabin air is cooler than outside, and will be vented out the roof vent and never really add heat to the cabin anyway. If it is cold outside then not issues at all.

If you are putting a giant house fridge in your camper, then you probably drive from electrical outlet to electrical outlet, or always on generator, so power consumption is much less of an issue than those boondocking.
It doesnt matter how you vent household fridges.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
We had a compressorless dorm fridge in a 14โ€™ cargo trailer and it put out a fair amount of heat over time. You could definitely feel it.
I would just leave the vents as they are.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
stevemorris wrote:
neschultz wrote:
PNW_Steve wrote:

If you close off the outside vents you are going to come up with some sort of ventilation for the condenser.

In my case, the condenser is in the bottom and I figured that air would go in at the bottom and out the top and sides, just like in a house.

I have been thinking about closing the top vent though to prevent moisture and outside temps from leaking in. You think thatโ€™s a bad idea?

compressor fridges don't need ventilation they need circulation. all fridges give off heat, a fridge with no ventilation will heat up your trailer, big difference between a 100 sqft trailer vs 1000 sqft house!

I donโ€™t think that heat from the refrigerator is a big concern. Our 10 cubic foot residential model only uses 140 watts when itโ€™s running. And our 40โ€™ 5th wheel is at least 400 sq. ft. with the 4 slides open.
Norman & Janet with Minnie the Weiner Dog
2005 SunnyBrook 38 BWQS 5th Wheel (stationary in FL for snowbirding)

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Not to mention it's going to be less efficient with 90 degree air flowing over the condenser. And all the extra outside heat coming inside. Close it off from the inside. Then keep it simple and leave the outside vents alone.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
neschultz wrote:
PNW_Steve wrote:

2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
PNW_Steve wrote:

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
I have a residential refrigerator with the condenser on the back in my 5er.

I have left the vents open to allow airflow over the condenser. I have done this, with good success, in two rigs and working on my third.

Good luck.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Some RVers will get a chest unit and not use the old frig space, maybe turn it into storage.
The chest unit would sit somewhere elseโ€ฆ

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Electric refrigerators need ventilation too, depending on condenser location.
-- Chris Bryant

neschultz
Explorer
Explorer
I put tape on the back side of our bottom one but left the top alone. If it rained hard from a certain direction, our back one would leak at the gap between the vent and itโ€™s frame so I caulked it with Dap. I did have to open it once after caulking it but it was easy to do ...just used a knife to cut the caulking and then re-caulked later.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I just used foam board insulation to cover the wall holes and then used black Gorilla tape on the inside of the vent covers to cover up the vent holes so bugs couldn't get in.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
AND...if ever need to work on the new fridge you will have some access to back without totally pulling fridge. Had to replace a control board on ours...hole was a big bonus!!!
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Hopefully you kept the outside covers/vents. If so, close off the inside of the wall, make it water tight, then simply re-insert the original refrigerator vent covers on the outside. No one will notice anything different. But you will know the true story.