cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Should older hotspot still work on new 4G/5G towers?

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
For the last 3 years of ramblin' 6 months a year, I've been using an eBay $5/mo 4510L hotspot for Verizon 3G Net connections. Has worked in almost every area that has Verizon coverage. However, this year the device has become inconsistent; works some places but not others.

I've read about towers being converted from 3G/4G to 4G/5G and figured this was the problem. So, I stopped in a Verizon reseller store in Idaho to solve my problem. I had bought a couple of years ago a backup 4510L (not a $5/mo one) with a Verizon 4G SIM in case of a situation like this. However, the store told me this old unit cannot accept the SIM needed for the new towers. So I bought a new hotspot and monthly plan (more than $5, obviously).

Afterwards I got to thinking why an old unit with 4G capability would not work on the new 4G/5G towers. Seems to me the 4G signal would be the same on 3G/4G towers as 4G/5G ones.

Anybody had a similar situation or knows definitely if the 4510L unit should still work?

Thanks,
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram
6 REPLIES 6

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info, especially the Verizon 4510L Page link. If I'd known about this page, I might have been able to activate my device myself and not had to buy a new one. BTW, I'm only interested in 4G.

Thanks,
Ralph
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
vermilye wrote:
Verizon is currently planning to drop CDMA / 3G service as of January 1, 2020. (Link to Verizon). It would be wise to look for a hotspot or phone that covers 4G. The 4510L will function after 3G & CDMA is dropped, is still available from Verizon, although it is now called a 4G Hotspot (they dropped the 3G/4G description). 4510L Page at Verizon

As to 5G, as mentioned, it won't be happening outside of cities for awhile. Typical 5G towers cover a city block or so - it will be a long time before any kind of 5G reaches the rural areas.

If you're going to buy a new Verizon hotspot, don't let a salesperson pawn an older model off on you. Many stores are trying to get rid of the Elipse (MHS900L) on unsuspecting consumers. Pay a few extra $$s and get the 8800L. There's such a HUGE difference in performance and you "future proof" your investment for years to come.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Verizon is currently planning to drop CDMA / 3G service as of January 1, 2020. (Link to Verizon). It would be wise to look for a hotspot or phone that covers 4G. The 4510L will function after 3G & CDMA is dropped, is still available from Verizon, although it is now called a 4G Hotspot (they dropped the 3G/4G description). 4510L Page at Verizon

As to 5G, as mentioned, it won't be happening outside of cities for awhile. Typical 5G towers cover a city block or so - it will be a long time before any kind of 5G reaches the rural areas.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many towers will Continue to support "Legacy" devices.. Some especially towers put up because 5G towers do not have the "Range" of 4 or 3 g may not.

And eventually the service provider (Cell phone carrier) may drop 3G but I do not expect that any time soon.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
5G has different frequencies. However, rural 5G may not be useful for many moons.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
This Youtube video answers all your questions about the difference between hotspots, and there is a HUGE difference: Hotspots