Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: DPF Delete Recommendations for Dodge Cummins
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> DPF Delete Recommendations for Dodge Cummins

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Hinall

Mansfield

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 05:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bought a friend's 07 6.7 Cummins https://mechanicfaq.com/6-7-cummins-delete-kit/, with 215K on it.

Not the millage of my 5.9 Cummins. I am told the answer is the DPF Delete, and it can add 6 miles a gallon.

Has anyone done one, what is the price I am looking at, and does it make a difference???

My 03 get 10 L to 100K. This 07 is getting 14 L / 100k. At $1.22 a liter, that could be $5.00 difference IFFFFF the millage improves to 10 L / 100K, or I expect payback in 20,000 kilometers (if I can get it done for $1,000).

Any Diesel gurus that can give me their opinions??

* This post was edited 08/11/19 10:15pm by Hinall *

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know a trucker who did it. but.... Even he admits it is illegal.

Alas.. He recently had a crack in his radiator's upper housing. he had to go to the mechanic who did the "Delete" to get it fixed. which was an issue because that shop was not in the state where the thing cracked.. Thankfully he made it.

The (IN his case) Peterbilt shop would not touch it due to the illegal modifications. Even though the radiator has nothing to do with emissions controls.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

Alas.. He recently had a crack in his radiator's upper housing. he had to go to the mechanic who did the "Delete" to get it fixed. which was an issue because that shop was not in the state where the thing cracked.. Thankfully he made it.

The (IN his case) Peterbilt shop would not touch it due to the illegal modifications. Even though the radiator has nothing to do with emissions controls.

Cheers for the Pete shop. Even more cheers if they dropped a dime.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why none of my diesel engines are Tier 4. I'm not about to 'delete or disable' any Federally mandated emissions controls. You want to be a criminal, have at it but plan on one...keeping the vehicle forever because you cannot sell or trade it and if you do, the buyer can come back on you legally for selling it under false pretenses and two, it's against the law.

While I don't agree with Tier 4, it is the way t is. Why none of my diesels (I own 4) are Tier 4 final engines.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

...and the very first thing any authorized and above board shop will do is plug into the diagnostic port and as soon as they do, they instantly know the engine / emission controls have been fiddled with.

Engine issue today are no longer 'diagnosed' by ear. Every technician immediately plugs into the diagnostic port and immediately knows if the owner has violated the emissions mandates or modified the software / hardware.

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leave it alone. You probably would never recoup in fuel savings for the cost of the delete. The engine already has 215k miles on it, and you will just cuse problems.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone stating 6mpg gain is full of "Barbara Streisand"

If the truck is running fine and you use it as a truck leave it alone!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is this the modification that blows black smoke?

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just be aware that it is illegal to do the delete. And it is illegal to sell it. And dealers probably will not take it in trade.

Since you are specifying it in liters and kilometers, I assume you are in Canada. Don't know what the laws are there.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not Diesel

But I know when tested and the engine passes the test my 24-year-old TOAD will maintain it's economy.

Test centers in Kaliforniastan offer free tests.

The complete diagnostics end up way way down the permitted limits for each pollutant.

And under ideal driving conditions, flat, no wind, and 65 mph the unloaded car continues to deliver 24 mpg. This model has self-diagnostics and no codes are in storage.

Through hard-earned experiences, I have learned an amazingly high percentage of gas mileage gossip is utter BS.

For example one day the muffler fell off. Precise monitoring of gas mileage revealed absolutely no gain in the economy over a month's time. ZIP. A tig welder and new hangers fixed the issue.

What if you spend all that money, and the computer goes into open loop limp home mode? Loss of 20% economy. Could you face yourself in the mirror

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> DPF Delete Recommendations for Dodge Cummins
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS