Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Which Cell Phone Carrier is best in specific locations?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Which Cell Phone Carrier is best in specific locations?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/19 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If both Verizon and AT&T show on their maps that they provide full 4G-LTE service coverage in an area you plan on visiting, is there a way to tell which carrier provides the stronger coverage? We're going to snowbird in Mims, Florida and both Verizon and AT&T maps show the area is covered with 4G-LTE but I have no idea which carrier has the stronger signal. We need to buy a Hotspot plan and we don't want to buy from the carrier whose signal is weaker. I know that the number of connections makes a difference and there are other factors but having 3 bars of service is going to be better than 1 bar. Does anyone know if there is a website that shows better information than what the carrier websites themselves show? I'm not going to bother calling them because both with tell me theirs is better to try and get my business.

swphotobug

varous

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have one phone on Verizon and one phone on ATT, both with unlimited hotspot. We have never been limited on data and we use quite a bit. We use Cricket($55) for our ATT and Visible($40)for our Verizon. ur primary is Cricket and we have used it throughout Canada and Alaska with no problems.

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get yourself some dice roll them.

jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use cellmapper.com or opensignal.com. The first locates towers for you, the second gives detailed and current signal strength maps.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy a SAT phone. Good aywhere, anytime and pay as you go for airtime.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have had them BOTH, VZ hands down has the best coverage overall no question!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can't really tell from a map. We live just outside a city of 200,000 people with generally good cell signal. But for some reason the area at our house and a couple miles around, cell signal for both AT&T and Verizon is weak to the point that some times it is hard to make/receive calls. Go 2 miles in any direction and signal is strong.

We had AT&T for years. But due to a very poor customer relations experience with AT&T, we changed to Verizon. Overall in our travels Verizon has been best.

PNW_Steve

Pacific Northwet & cold

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jkwilson wrote:

Use cellmapper.com or opensignal.com. The first locates towers for you, the second gives detailed and current signal strength maps.

Apparently cellmapper is a little lite on tower data.

I used to work on four sites in my county. None of them show up in the app. [emoticon]

2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The company with the closest tower usually wins, all other things being equal.

However, if a USA account is being used in Canada, and a Canadian add on is in place, coverage may be identical.

Also, in Canada Bell and Telus have a tower sharing agreement--so there is identical coverage. One more tidbit is that in Saskatchewan, Bell and Telus piggyback on Sasktel towers. Data through put is another issue and at least in Saskatchewan Telus and Bell don't get the same speed as a native Sasktel device. These rules were Federally mandated in Saskatchewan.

* This post was edited 08/08/19 03:40pm by pianotuna *

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/08/19 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem in snowbird areas is that the cell towers get overloaded at the height of the season. There's no way of telling which will be better and it can actually change periodically.

I carry both AT&T and Verizon and can definitively say neither is significantly better than the other. Some places one is better; other places the other is better. Even other places, neither works or both are great.

As said, roll a coin and flip the dice.

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball + Companion
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Which Cell Phone Carrier is best in specific locations?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS