cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

17" wheels on DRW - is it worth replacing them with 19.5"?

adamboyd
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you with 1 ton trucks with 17" DRW's, how do you notice them performing and do you or have you thought about converting to 19.5" wheels.
18 REPLIES 18

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
3 tons wrote:
For all but the heaviest of loads 19.5โ€™s are not necessary on a DRW one ton truck (nowadays rated at 14k GVWR), but then youโ€™d likely be over GVWR anyway - if they were necessary theyโ€™d come stock...

Maybe with Dodge dually.
My 2017 F350 with diesel and 6400 lb of TC load - scales at 13,800 lb.

Means little, since I believe ford has an aluminum body, eh?.. My EC is at about 5k lbs wet and loaded, and I barely perceive itโ€™s in the truck bed... Two Drwโ€™s, 175k mi with camper aboard, zero issues period...Even drove100mi with outside dually flat and didnโ€™t know it - but Iโ€™m still waiting for the boogie man to raise his head...

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
bighatnohorse wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:

Those numbers put your truck weight at 7400 pounds.
My '15 F350 diesel dually scales at 8840 (with tailgate on)

That's what it is with aluminium bed.
The tailgate is like 40 lb.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:

Those numbers put your truck weight at 7400 pounds.
My '15 F350 diesel dually scales at 8840 (with tailgate on)
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
dirtyhandz wrote:
twodownzero wrote:
19.5s ride like ****, beat the hell out of your wheel bearings and balljoints, and have inferior traction on soft surfaces. If you don't need the weight capacity (which you don't on a 1 ton truck), they are not something I'd want.

But they look really cool!

There's a lot of tires and wheels that look really cool, but I still wouldn't put them on my truck. E.g., the Michelin XL that comes on the HEMTT military truck is one of the coolest looking tires. It also probably rides like it's square. It doesn't stop me from admiring them though...from a distance.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
dirtyhandz wrote:
twodownzero wrote:
19.5s ride like ****, beat the hell out of your wheel bearings and balljoints, and have inferior traction on soft surfaces. If you don't need the weight capacity (which you don't on a 1 ton truck), they are not something I'd want.

I guess I have the best of both worlds then. None of 2D0โ€™s stated down-sides, all of the coolness. :C

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

dirtyhandz
Explorer
Explorer
twodownzero wrote:

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
3 tons wrote:
For all but the heaviest of loads 19.5โ€™s are not necessary on a DRW one ton truck (nowadays rated at 14k GVWR), but then youโ€™d likely be over GVWR anyway - if they were necessary theyโ€™d come stock...

Maybe with Dodge dually.

Lancey
Explorer
Explorer
I'll weigh in.
I used to own a 2008 f450, now I run a 2008 Silverado drw with 16" rims even and I'll say this.

The 19.5s are worth it when they come stock on medium duty trucks because you also get bigger brakes, tighter turning radius and wider stance and bigger axles/bearings and other componants to go along with them.

Now, putting 19.5's on a regular drw truck gives you a rougher ride, less traction and a higher cost of replacement when worn out or damaged and will prematurely wear out front end parts, all while not gaining alot in overall load capacity.

I do miss the look of the 19.5 and I liked the robustness of the side walls, but I'm happy not to deal with some of the draw backs that come along with them.
2005 arctic fox 990 silverfox
2008 Silverado ltz drw duramax 6speed allison

1999 Kodiak k99 / 2008 ford f450 6spd manual. SOLD
2000 citation supreme SOLD
1989 camperette SOLD
1985 okanagan SOLD
1990 northern lite SOLD
1995 northern lite SOLD
1997 Kodiak k99 SOLD

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
adamboyd wrote:
For those of you with 1 ton trucks with 17" DRW's, how do you notice them performing and do you or have you thought about converting to 19.5" wheels.
We have 16" DRWs on our Dodge and they perform just fine. And, No, I have never thought about converting to 19.5" wheels.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
In cars 18 or 19" rim means the tire is going to be slightly above 1" tall, so the little rubber will give crispy handling, but lousy bump protection.

Uh, no. I was pretty specific. Go look at 19/20 tires/rims on a Mustang. You are off by a lot. Not surprising since Iโ€™m talking about my real experience with my Mustang and TC with 19.5s, and you are guessing.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Tire choice is always about compromise, but comparing truck tires to car tires is like comparing TC to DP.
In cars 18 or 19" rim means the tire is going to be slightly above 1" tall, so the little rubber will give crispy handling, but lousy bump protection.
For years cars have been coming with 16" rims and very seldom owner had damaged wheels.
Now new cars come on 18" rims and owners visit rim repair shop 3 or more times a year.
In trucks - 19.5 wheels will have bigger diameter, so still plenty of rubber for potholes taking, but higher "ply" number will make them stiffer.
Still empty truck is teeth-grinder no matter wheel size due suspension design for a ton, or 4 load on it.
From my experience 19.5 wheels are the cheapest when you drive a lot.
I had good brand 19.5 lasting 100k miles, when cheap Chinese still deliver honest 60k miles.
You want to carry bulldozer on your dually - get 19.5.
For TC no need for such extremes.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
My 19.5s ride fine btw but my truck was designed for them, too. I have Bilsteins and youโ€™d never know they were 19.5s if I didnโ€™t tell you.

19.5s have a stiffer side wall for the same diameter because the tire is equivalent more ply but also because the side wall is shorter. That means they donโ€™t give as much as 17s/16s. Kind of like putting 19/20s on a Mustang to replace the stock 17s. They handle significantly better with less side wall give. You pay for that with ride quality on rough roads and gain 95% of the time on the paved roads.

225s which are about the same diameter as the normal 17s generally donโ€™t have that much capacity compared to the larger sizes. Sure a bit more than 17s, but not that much.

My 19.5s are dramatically more aggressive and dramatically better traction than the standard M+S you see on 17 shod DRWs, so the inferior traction couldnโ€™t be further from the truth. However, I canโ€™t air them down very much either since the beads are a different style and most donโ€™t recommend going below 60-70 PSI which is about the starting point for 17s.

Personally, I wanted 19.5s for the superior strength tire, but got them stock on my F450. If you want 19.5s, thatโ€™s a worthwhile upgrade that will give you a stronger rear axle, better brakes, and dramatically better turn radius.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer