cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A/C on 116 volts?

NEOK
Explorer
Explorer
I just pulled into a site and EMS only shows 116 volts. Would you trust it to run 10,500btu AC unit for one night without doing damage go the unit?

Thanks
neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss
23 REPLIES 23

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
LadyRVer, that was a clever tip about taking the fridge off-line if the voltage gets a little low. Thanks for posting that!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

LarryJM
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
RoyB wrote:
I have one of these RV120VAC VOLTMETER (AMAZON) installed in one of my AC receptacles to alow me to watch the AC VOLTAGE all the time... This has the GREEN SCALE on it for easy viewing...

That green scale is off quite a bit since anything above 105 volts is acceptable. I suggest buying a digital voltmeter.

YEP IMO that meter is fairly worthless, but if it makes you feel good go for it:E

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
When in doubt, listen to the compressor startup, if its a good positive startup, you good to go. If the compressor start up is sluggish, you playing w/ possibledamage, no matter the volt meter. Its always been that way.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
solismaris wrote:
I've run it occasionally with voltage reading as low as 100. Not recommended I know. But no problems yet. Crossing fingers.
Low voltage damages the windings on AC motors due to overheating the insulation. The damage is cumulative over time and an AC unit can suddenly fail one day for no obvious reason.

Also, when an AC unit starts up, it draws a momentary inrush current of around 50-60 amps. Even if you're at a borderline of 104 volts when running and you think you're okay, the voltage can dip very low and still damage the motors. The voltage dips so fast you can't tell how much on a voltmeter.

Replacing AC units is an expensive affair and not worth gambling IMO.

I installed a flush-mounted mini LED panel meter on the wall near the door. I got a quality US-made Datel meter but any of the inexpensive ones out there should be just fine. Available in a plug-in version too. And 'cos it's a hobby and time & money is no object, I also installed one of their ammeters right above the voltmeter. Current rarely goes much above 15-20 amps and it's the voltmeter that is by far most useful.

If you had a hard-wired EMS with remote display inside, you could also read volts & amps that way but I find the constant scrolling of the data to be annoying.

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
I have one of these RV120VAC VOLTMETER (AMAZON) installed in one of my AC receptacles to alow me to watch the AC VOLTAGE all the time... This has the GREEN SCALE on it for easy viewing...

Google image

I have the same one. Quick and easy to see the voltage, don't even need my glasses on. ๐Ÿ™‚
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

solismaris
Explorer
Explorer
I've run it occasionally with voltage reading as low as 100. Not recommended I know. But no problems yet. Crossing fingers.
David Kojen

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
I was told by my converter (Liberty Coach) to not run below 110v to stay on the safe side. The coach is in a large storage garage and I can check everything from my iphone. This morning I was showing 111v on leg #1 with one air running. I also have two refrigerators (small one in basement) and the battery charger will charge as needed.

Apparently when I checked, the battery charger was on and then turned off and the volts changed to 114v. So, I turned off the front air and turned on the bedroom air as it's on leg #2. It was showing 116v on leg two with the air running and leg one went to 119v.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good point on the GREEN SAFE marking alittle above what the spec is. I still like seeing he GREEN marking zone being visible...

I also have the digital version here on my social media console here which is probably more accurate than the analog scale version... It is reading 115VAC this morning... Usually around the 120VAC reading...

Looks like this from AMAZON

The point here was getting a readout inside the trailer to observe your AC VOLTAGE on a regular basis... Even if it is a VOM with the test leads pushed into the AC SOCKET and meter hanging on a nail haha...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have one like RoyB posted, but it shows the voltage to be a little less than actual. I bought a new digital one, that is much more accurate, and shows the same as my digital multi-meter.

Jerry

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:

That green scale is off quite a bit since anything above 105 volts is acceptable. I suggest buying a digital voltmeter.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:

Google image

Roy Ken

good post

i have a digital readout version of this. at home when i cool our TT with 15kbtu ac plugged into 20 amp 110 outlet at garage i turn off our outside kitchen mini fridge and switch rv fridge to propane.

when ac compressor is kicking in my voltage usually goes down to 110 or so even in hottest part of day.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II

Google image

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Low voltage can burn up your shore cord plug too.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
The air conditioner's spec is 115 volts +/- 10%, or 103.5 to 126.5 volts. That's at the air conditioner when it's running. If the EMS shows 106 or more when the air conditioner is running you should be within spec. If the RV's wiring drops more than 2 volts between the EMS and air conditioner, that would be a different problem.
2009 Fleetwood Icon