Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: A/C on 116 volts?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> A/C on 116 volts?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

solismaris wrote:

I've run it occasionally with voltage reading as low as 100. Not recommended I know. But no problems yet. Crossing fingers.
Low voltage damages the windings on AC motors due to overheating the insulation. The damage is cumulative over time and an AC unit can suddenly fail one day for no obvious reason.

Also, when an AC unit starts up, it draws a momentary inrush current of around 50-60 amps. Even if you're at a borderline of 104 volts when running and you think you're okay, the voltage can dip very low and still damage the motors. The voltage dips so fast you can't tell how much on a voltmeter.

Replacing AC units is an expensive affair and not worth gambling IMO.

I installed a flush-mounted mini LED panel meter on the wall near the door. I got a quality US-made Datel meter but any of the inexpensive ones out there should be just fine. Available in a plug-in version too. And 'cos it's a hobby and time & money is no object, I also installed one of their ammeters right above the voltmeter. Current rarely goes much above 15-20 amps and it's the voltmeter that is by far most useful.

If you had a hard-wired EMS with remote display inside, you could also read volts & amps that way but I find the constant scrolling of the data to be annoying.

[image][image][image]

Gil, Deb & Dougal a 15 year old Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH, shocks and Endurance LRE tires
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab, Bilstein shocks, heavy duty trailering option

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When in doubt, listen to the compressor startup, if its a good positive startup, you good to go. If the compressor start up is sluggish, you playing w/ possibledamage, no matter the volt meter. Its always been that way.

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

RoyB wrote:

I have one of these RV120VAC VOLTMETER (AMAZON) installed in one of my AC receptacles to alow me to watch the AC VOLTAGE all the time... This has the GREEN SCALE on it for easy viewing...

That green scale is off quite a bit since anything above 105 volts is acceptable. I suggest buying a digital voltmeter.

YEP IMO that meter is fairly worthless, but if it makes you feel good go for it[emoticon]

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LadyRVer, that was a clever tip about taking the fridge off-line if the voltage gets a little low. Thanks for posting that!

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> A/C on 116 volts?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS