Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: A/C on 116 volts?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> A/C on 116 volts?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
road-runner

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The air conditioner's spec is 115 volts +/- 10%, or 103.5 to 126.5 volts. That's at the air conditioner when it's running. If the EMS shows 106 or more when the air conditioner is running you should be within spec. If the RV's wiring drops more than 2 volts between the EMS and air conditioner, that would be a different problem.

2009 Fleetwood Icon

2oldman

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 10:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Low voltage can burn up your shore cord plug too.

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/19 05:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have one of these RV120VAC VOLTMETER (AMAZON) installed in one of my AC receptacles to alow me to watch the AC VOLTAGE all the time... This has the GREEN SCALE on it for easy viewing...

[image]
Google image

Roy Ken
[image]

sgfrye

north carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/19 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyB wrote:

I have one of these RV120VAC VOLTMETER (AMAZON) installed in one of my AC receptacles to alow me to watch the AC VOLTAGE all the time... This has the GREEN SCALE on it for easy viewing...

[image]
Google image

Roy Ken
[image]

good post

i have a digital readout version of this. at home when i cool our TT with 15kbtu ac plugged into 20 amp 110 outlet at garage i turn off our outside kitchen mini fridge and switch rv fridge to propane.

when ac compressor is kicking in my voltage usually goes down to 110 or so even in hottest part of day.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/19 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyB wrote:

That green scale is off quite a bit since anything above 105 volts is acceptable. I suggest buying a digital voltmeter.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/19 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have one like RoyB posted, but it shows the voltage to be a little less than actual. I bought a new digital one, that is much more accurate, and shows the same as my digital multi-meter.

Jerry

[image]

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/19 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good point on the GREEN SAFE marking alittle above what the spec is. I still like seeing he GREEN marking zone being visible...

I also have the digital version here on my social media console here which is probably more accurate than the analog scale version... It is reading 115VAC this morning... Usually around the 120VAC reading...

Looks like this from AMAZON
[image]

The point here was getting a readout inside the trailer to observe your AC VOLTAGE on a regular basis... Even if it is a VOM with the test leads pushed into the AC SOCKET and meter hanging on a nail haha...

Roy Ken
[image]

Mr.Mark

Out West and Mid South

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was told by my converter (Liberty Coach) to not run below 110v to stay on the safe side. The coach is in a large storage garage and I can check everything from my iphone. This morning I was showing 111v on leg #1 with one air running. I also have two refrigerators (small one in basement) and the battery charger will charge as needed.

Apparently when I checked, the battery charger was on and then turned off and the volts changed to 114v. So, I turned off the front air and turned on the bedroom air as it's on leg #2. It was showing 116v on leg two with the air running and leg one went to 119v.

MM.

Mr.Mark

2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo w/1,750 lb. ft. of torque, 1.5 baths, 4 slides.
2017 Lincoln MKX AWD V6 335 hp twin turbo.

solismaris

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've run it occasionally with voltage reading as low as 100. Not recommended I know. But no problems yet. Crossing fingers.

David Kojen

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyB wrote:

[image]
Google image

I have the same one. Quick and easy to see the voltage, don't even need my glasses on. [emoticon]

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> A/C on 116 volts?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.