Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Legend Cast Iron Multi Cooker Skillet Set
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Legend Cast Iron Multi Cooker Skillet Set

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roy&Lynne wrote:

magnusfide wrote:

95 cents more you can get an identical combo cooker from Lodge.
Lodge Combo Cooker

Hum, how did I miss that. For some reason its reviews aren't as good as the Legend. Wonder why.

Look at the number of reviews for each. Low number of reviews may mean paid reviewers. I'd go with the Lodge.

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Magnus

Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tend to stick with Cast Iron and most of our stuff is Lodge. But not all. And pretty much seems to me they all work great. I keep a pretty tight grip on the seasoning and try not to let anyone else wash them. I have a goofy Martha Stewart 10" skillet that has a real nice handle and it's one of our staples. It is lighter than a Lodge. I would actually like to look into the carbon steel cookware as it could be a little lighter. But if the choice was between the Legend and the Lodge for a buck? Going with the Lodge. Also, I got a cast iron griddle that covers two burners in my trailer. Came from the "Pioneer Woman" store in Oklahoma. That thing is like a magnet for sticking food. No matter how much oil I used. I buffed it down with small grinder and coarse flap wheel. Re-seasoned it and now I chase an egg all over it. No more sticking.

V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Denali. 2015 Creekside 20fq w/450 watts solar. Retiring in 2021, then look-out road, here we come!

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/19 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At 0ne time I had a matched set of Griswold CI from 6 inch to 15 inch, each with a lid, that belonged to my great grandmother. It was all in great shape. My ex-wife hated CI and she sold it at a garage sale for $25 while I was at work. There were not so nice words exchanged when I found out.
Now to the current era. I have replaced my cast iron. Most of it is either Griswold or Wagner. I pick it up for 3 or 4 dollars in bad shape and clean it up.
The best way to clean up dirty CI is to get a good fire going in my Weber grill and place the CI directly on the coals. Let the fire go out and wipe out all of the ashes. I then melt a big block of lard in the pan and cook up some frycakes (doughnuts.) I let everything cool off and repeat the process several times. Besides some great frycakes, I end up with a perfectly seasoned pan.

Bob & Dawn Married 31 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Roy&Lynne

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/19 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magnusfide wrote:

Big Katuna wrote:

I don’t give a whit for modern cast iron. I watch for old cast iron. The older the better.

They are denser, smoother and cure really well. I must have 20 pieces including Dutch ovens with and without feet, all sizes of frying pans, griddles etc. Still looking for a Griswold waffle iron without paying an arm and a leg.

It could be cleaned up but this is the cheapest I've found in a Griswold waffle
link

You are right about that. I bought my 12" fry pan at a swap meet for $3 years ago, and the couple of 10" that I have were also bought second hand. That was when no one wanted cast iron any longer because the stick-free folks convinced everyone that their stuff was better. The one pan that cracked in half was the only one I purchased new.

Our Road Less Traveled

Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/19 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarabooBob wrote:

At 0ne time I had a matched set of Griswold CI from 6 inch to 15 inch, each with a lid, that belonged to my great grandmother. It was all in great shape. My ex-wife hated CI and she sold it at a garage sale for $25 while I was at work. There were not so nice words exchanged when I found out.
Now to the current era. I have replaced my cast iron. Most of it is either Griswold or Wagner. I pick it up for 3 or 4 dollars in bad shape and clean it up.
The best way to clean up dirty CI is to get a good fire going in my Weber grill and place the CI directly on the coals. Let the fire go out and wipe out all of the ashes. I then melt a big block of lard in the pan and cook up some frycakes (doughnuts.) I let everything cool off and repeat the process several times. Besides some great frycakes, I end up with a perfectly seasoned pan.

I think I see why she's your Ex-Wife

Little Kopit

TheMaritimes.ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/19 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got most of my CI at one of the better known places where individuals can post items for sale.

My favorites are Wagner or Wagner Ware. Wagner Ware started in 1890, so my Wagner frying pan 10" with 10" lid are quite old. Prices in those days were quite affordable. I have a strong collection of CI now, so I'm not looking any more.

I know my 10" CI Dutch oven is from Camp Chef.

& I have bought through Cabelas, the camping supplier, too.

[emoticon]

& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Legend Cast Iron Multi Cooker Skillet Set
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS