Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Ready to Buy?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Ready to Buy?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a Bigfoot 10.6 and liked it a lot. I have also read many positive things about the NL. Both are similar clamshell construction.

I can't tell if you mean it only has one battery or only fits one battery. Our BF held 2 easily. Things like TV and solar can be added. I would base my decision on which camper you like more and not worry about a tv or a solar panel.

Our Bigfoot did not have a full queen bed, one of the gripes I had with it. At 6'-2" I couldn't lay flat without feet hanging over. Also couldn't find sheets to fit properly.

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.
2018 Host Mammoth. 1080 Watts solar. 600 AH usable LFP battery. Magnum 2800 Watt inverter.
2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2400 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

devildog1971 wrote:

looked at the bigfoot 2500 10.4 truck camper today surprised it has only one battery? no television no solar. also looked at the Northern lite 10-2excd dry bath not quite a dry bath as mirror always gets wet. The Northern Lite comes with two battery compartment one 95 watt solar panel a 24 inch television. I remember northern lite use to make a 10-2000 RR it was a true dry bath. Right now I am pondering they are both very close in price please convince me.

The Bigfoot 10-4 is made for two batteries..Maybe the dealer took one out..

Bigfoot battery capacity

As to which one..Ilean towards the BF over the NL but would not decide without seeing both in person..Pictures can be deceiving..One reason is the very small window by the dinette in the NL..The BF 10-6 with the same floorplans looks larger..On those rainy days I want to be able see out instead of staring at the wall...

Floorplans are everything and one reason I am not in a hurry to trade mine off...Mine has a good field of view off the dinette..

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

Camp woof

California

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure what you mean by 1 batt in the BF, I have 2 Lifeblue 125AH (250AH total) batteries in my bigfoot 10.4 with room to spare in the battery compartment. The batteries still fit in the slide out tray.
Lifeblue batteries 125AH:
Case Size: 12.5" x 6.5" x 8.5" Tall
Weight: 28 Pounds; Shipping Weight 31 Pounds
Case Size: Group 31

The 2 separate compartments in the NL seem to be a pain! If you want to connect 12V batteries in parallel, then you need to pay attention to how you connect the batteries together so the voltages are equal, you do not want 1 battery running at a different voltage than the other.

I was out for a week and battery voltage at rest was 13.1V, still rather full!

The bed is shorter (not a problem for me), the insulation is better, and no Heiki skylight. These are good for most people, but far more problematic than the non-opening skylight above the dinette in the BF or the extra temp controlled fantastic fan in the bedroom area.

I'm putting a 28" TV in my BF.

Also installing 200W solar with MPPT on roof, plus solar port for 100-200W additional portable panels if parked in sun. 1 panel and low-end controller just means I'm paying for stuff I have to remove ...

Both are great campers, pick the one that works for you!

BTW, in my early shopping I never wanted a dry bath, takes up extra space. But sure is nice to use, very happy with the nice dry bath with window.

Solar and TV are options on the BF, but cost too much vs. doing it yourself (IMO).

Dave

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Solar and TV are options on the BF, but cost too much vs. doing it yourself (IMO).

10-4 on that..

I bring my own TV and if I wanted solar,I would have the option to spend my money on portable solar instead,which is a better option for me doing all my camping in heavily forested area's..

I can't find a post by a Northern Lite owner on this forum that said...23 leaks and counting..Kinda stuck with me..

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/19 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deleted

GoinThisAway

middle TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/19 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since price is similar, make your choice based on things you can't change such as the floorplan, bed size, dinette size, window sizes, dry vs semidry bath, tank sizes, etc. Things like batteries, TVs, and solar can be added later.

2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads

devildog1971

Rome

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/19 10:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 2019 Bigfoot we looked at had water in the propane compartment and the basement it had been there long enough to rust the handle of the rod that cranks out the side awning. We put a deposit on the Northern Lite 10-2EX CD dry bath and it comes with the extras at no extra cost we wanted a big foot but the only other dealer is along way from us, wish us luck actually the water in three compartments was what changed our minds. Since I sold my Dodge I now have 07 GMC and need to put the tie downs on I still have the fast guns. think I will cut some stall mats to fit the bed for a bed mat the spray in liner is very thick and rough I think the thin mat would eventually get a hole in it with the wight of the camper. But stall mats will work. I do not think it will come off the truck often now even though we have a farm. New medical problems have me at the hospital in Birmingham every 28 days, but we can have fun three weeks at a time just will be doing more sitting at camp sites than usual. For those of you who knew Wrinkles the Basset hound he passed away wicked old cancer got him, it was a heart breaker still

2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Ready to Buy?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.