cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What can a 2000 Damon Escaper 3980 tow?

Bobalooie
Explorer
Explorer
I have searched the internet and cannot find any info on the tow capcity of this Escaper or hitch rating. It's a Freightliner chassis with 300 Cat. Anyone know?
5 REPLIES 5

Bobalooie
Explorer
Explorer
Dale.Traveling wrote:
Bobalooie wrote:
Thanks. Yes, I suspect it is around 5000lbs. We are pulling a horse trailer with a couple horses, so would need the 10,000lb hitch.

No you need a bigger coach. Bolting a bigger hitch on the rig doesn't increase your tow capacity. Could I install a class 2 hitch to my late model CRV and now tow 3500 lbs even though Honda limits the capacity to 1500 lbs? See the problem?

Itโ€™s both.

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobalooie wrote:
Thanks. Yes, I suspect it is around 5000lbs. We are pulling a horse trailer with a couple horses, so would need the 10,000lb hitch.

No you need a bigger coach. Bolting a bigger hitch on the rig doesn't increase your tow capacity. Could I install a class 2 hitch to my late model CRV and now tow 3500 lbs even though Honda limits the capacity to 1500 lbs? See the problem?
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Bobalooie
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
the specs on the first link indicate a 5K difference between the GCWR and GVWR on the Freightliner chassis which to me indicates the hitch is a Class III capable of towing 5000-lbs.

but keep in mind that the amount of weight you can safely tow will be the lesser of the following:

- the gross combination weight rating of the MH minus the *actual weight* of the MH as it is loaded and configured for travel

- the weight rating of your hitch

- the weight rating of your tow bar

before you buy a toad you need to know what your mh weighs as it is loaded for a trip. that includes full fuel, fresh water and lp tanks, food, clothing, supplies, pets and people. get separate axle weights to make sure that neither axle is is overloaded. then apply the three tests above. for every pound your mh exceeds its gvwr you lose a pound of available tow weight.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
the specs on the first link indicate a 5K difference between the GCWR and GVWR on the Freightliner chassis which to me indicates the hitch is a Class III capable of towing 5000-lbs.

but keep in mind that the amount of weight you can safely tow will be the lesser of the following:

- the gross combination weight rating of the MH minus the *actual weight* of the MH as it is loaded and configured for travel

- the weight rating of your hitch

- the weight rating of your tow bar

before you buy a toad you need to know what your mh weighs as it is loaded for a trip. that includes full fuel, fresh water and lp tanks, food, clothing, supplies, pets and people. get separate axle weights to make sure that neither axle is is overloaded. then apply the three tests above. for every pound your mh exceeds its gvwr you lose a pound of available tow weight.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/2000_escaper.pdf

Page 10 and 11 have some specs with weights but nothing on the hitch itself other than it's standard equipment. Have you called Thor?

There is a review here that talks to the GVWR a bit but nothing on the hitch rating:

http://www.motorhome.com/motorhomes/reviews/escaper-39/

My guess would be it's a 5k at a minimum, you'd probably have to do the math on what it would weigh for travel, plus your toad and see if you are near the GCWR.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS