cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Teton Pass Route 22

sbell2003
Explorer
Explorer
The shortest route between Jackson Wyoming and West Yellowstone Montana is over Teton Pass on route 22. Many people told us not to travel over the pass with our fifth wheel since it is 4 miles of 10 percent grade up and down. I just want people to know it is fine with the right rig. RAM dually diesel pulling a 14,000lbs 36ft fifth wheel. I could only manage 45 mph going up but temps were fine. I stayed at 30mph on the way down and only touched the service brakes a couple times. Bottom line is it was a beautiful ride and I would do it again in a heartbeat.
2019 KZ Durango Gold 356RLT
2018 RAM 3500 Dually
9 REPLIES 9

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ozlander of Rose Hill, check out the reader board on the Idaho side of the pass. It will tell you what I'm referring too.

js218
Explorer
Explorer
Piece of cake, beautiful drive.
2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have gone over Teton pass several times, including once with a Toyota based RV. The Toytruck did the pass without a problem. It did the pass at 4500 rpm's in first and second gear but we passed a few large RV's and TT's. 120 HP and weighing 6000 pounds gives a poor power/weight ratio.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get Rand McNally truck atlas
-----------------------------------------
I got it and find it almost unusable, all those orange overcolored lines swamps the map and make it of very limited use. OK it all you want to do is follow truck routes I guess
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was in that area but don't remember the road. I would shy on going on passes. Get Rand McNally truck atlas and stay on the truck routes. Especially with a rig your size. Also, a good GPS like Garmin for RV would help. I relied on the Truck atlas and compared it with what my GPS was telling me.

Mbiviano
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, it's not that big of a deal, but many make it out to be. What's more fun is when you aren't hooked up and can let the diesel do it's thing up the steep grade without a sweat.
Matt
2015 Forest River Wildcat 337FB Bunkhouse
2015 Ford F350 CC SRW PSD LB
Me/Wife/Twins/Dog

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
bobsallyh wrote:
sbell2003, I take it you had no moose run across the road in front of you?

And what if he did?
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
sbell2003, I take it you had no moose run across the road in front of you?

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've been over it several times with no trouble. And we've been up and down Moki Dugway along with CO Hwy 550. Plus many other mountain drives like Hwy 12 in UT. You have to realize that this is a case of the population split into two groups. Some just get on with it, whatever it is. And some find many justifications for not getting on with it.

Of course some of the later group, in this case, may have under powered units that really have a difficult time with grades. And some flatlanders just cannot get used to switchbacks and open mountain views with near by steep drops. Don't let them paralyze you with their fears.

You know which group you are in, just ignore the others. Frankly I'd rather not pass someone on a mountain road that is almost stiff with terror....heh.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper