cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

another solar option

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
hopefully I don't get crucified like the last guy asking about a cheap plug and play system. I can get this thing for a song and a dance. anyone have any feedback?

clicky

only looking for a cheap way to add some time to my deep cycle. really only need it to run the fridge controller and water pump
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....
26 REPLIES 26

bdhoun
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Jebby14 wrote:
Any tips for mounting permanently should i keep them?

Since you're here in S Ontario as am I you no doubt camp in Ontario provincial parts which for the most part are well treed, meaning lots of campsite shade. JMO but I'd set this panel up to be used as a portable so you can easily move it around your campsite as the sun moves across different parts of your campsite. Mount it on the trailer roof and over the course of a day you're sure to get much more shade that sun.

I installed the NOMA version sold at Canadian Tire and at the non-electric sites at Driftwood PP I was getting 5.5 amps for about 2 hours, rest of the day 0.3-0.5 amps. Not enough to charge the battery so I was running the gennie for about 90 minutes each day charging with a stand alone smart battery charger that was putting out 25 amps at 14.6 volts. I installed the charge controller above the fridge so a short run to the panel, then 20ft of 12 gauge solar panel wire clipped to the battery terminals.
'14 Ford F-150 eco screw max tow, 3.5, 3.73's
'16 Freedom Express 257 BHS
and Equal-i-zer

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Just know that it isn't actually made by Coleman. It's made by some third party licencing the Coleman name with no oversight whatsoever by Coleman.

The company I work for does the same thing for HVAC products.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
Just got it home. Seems like this is the intent. Lets see how it does

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:

Since you're here in S Ontario as am I you no doubt camp in Ontario provincial parts which for the most part are well treed, meaning lots of campsite shade. JMO but I'd set this panel up to be used as a portable so you can easily move it around your campsite as the sun moves across different parts of your campsite. Mount it on the trailer roof and over the course of a day you're sure to get much more shade that sun.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Jebby14,

Attempt to keep the wire runs as short as is reasonable with oversize wire. That way, as your solar appetite increases, you won't have to be fishing wire a 2nd time.

If it is within the budget use the largest size that will fit the input terminals on the controller.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
where did yall mount your controllers? Im leaning towards under the master bed in the nose where my water heater, fresh tank and pump are but always open to suggestions. Also thinking above the dinette on the shelf next to the tv (where my sterio is and all the dvd's that the kids never watch.

this is my floor plan

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
nothing special about that deal
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I posted about another option on the (other) solar thread from Light catcher Solar kit for $112. 100 watt solar panel with a controler capable of 800 watts. Panels made in Germany with 25 year warranty accessories 5 year warranty. Thought about ordering one of these kits.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
If they still have tomorrow im gunna give it a shot. Test trip labor day weekend amd if they suck ill return them

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
My dollar is only woth 60 cents
Pay shipping amd duty and its more than double list price

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
A solar system starts with an energy survey to see what you need...batteries, panels and controller. Or you can just keep guessing.

I'm a WindyNation customer, wandering. Very happy with them.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
My intention was not to bad mouth anybody, but I am curious, is the shipping so bad for Canadians that this isnt a better deal? windy nation

It doesn't have the modified sine inverter, and it does have the larger controller that would allow an additional panel in the future.
So I am curious, why not?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Jebby14,

There are cheaper panels. I tend to avoid kits because they include "useless" items.

Costco's return policy is good.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.