Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: AC question
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> AC question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
kr1928

south texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently purchased my 1st travel trailer to place in a RV park on the Texas coast. It is a weekend getaway and will only be used a couple of weekends a month at best. My question is, should i leave the AC and fridge on when i leave or turn them off ?? I have a pretty tight budget for utilities due to high cost of RV spaces in coastal areas. Would love some advice from experienced person.

WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/19 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, leave both on all the time.
Turn the A/C up to the high 70's or low 80's.
Fridge won't eat up much utility cost.

A camper in the south that doesn't have the A/C running full time is a miserable existence, just asking for mold and mildew problems.

Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

the bear II

Torrance CA.

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leaving anything running unattended is asking for trouble. Moisture can be managed with products made to eliminate moisture in stored RVs.

Based on the stories I've seen in the RV forums and on the news a majority of RV fires are traced back to the fridge.

Read the recent post about the A/C units with smoke coming from the vents. https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29945396.cfm

Weldon

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/19 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Frig on ac set at 80 or higher. When you arrive at the trailer will it be near dark? Later in the day arrival will enable a shorter time to cool down.

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm for leaving AC units off. Do you have 30 or 50 amps and do you know what the voltage is like when you're away? If it's on the low side near 105 volts at times, that will lead to damage to AC units. If you're 30 amps, running 2 AC units is inviting trouble even if you have good voltage. It can't really take that long to cool down? If it even does much anyway if really hot out... [emoticon]

Folks leave fridges running all the time on electric when parked. Have you ever inspected the fridge burner or had a tech do it? They can deteriorate or get fouled up.

I anything, do NOT leave water turned on!

Gil, Deb & Dougal a 15 year old Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH, shocks and Endurance LRE tires
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab, Bilstein shocks, heavy duty trailering option

PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/19 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd start with following your practice at home; you can always set the temp to trigger the AC high, at 85 for example, and see how that works. Just keep in mind that on a95 degree day, the unit will run a lot, and expense and triggering electrical concerns shared earlier. We matched to burn out a smaller guage extension cord on a 105 degree day when it ran straight for hours. Yes it was a dumb move, but a good learning lesson here too.

Da Moose - 2001 Dutchman 31' on E450

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are paying for power then turn the fridge off. Similarly with the air conditioner.

When you return, start the air conditioner and fridge, then go out for supper or to a movie.

Be sure to leave the water off.

kr1928 wrote:

I recently purchased my 1st travel trailer to place in a RV park on the Texas coast. It is a weekend getaway and will only be used a couple of weekends a month at best. My question is, should i leave the AC and fridge on when i leave or turn them off ?? I have a pretty tight budget for utilities due to high cost of RV spaces in coastal areas. Would love some advice from experienced person.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2manytoyz

Central FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/09/19 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is your fridge a residential style, or an absorption style (uses propane)?

The reason I ask is the residential style tends to have a built-in defrost mode, the absorption ones don't (that I've ever seen). Consequently, when I lived in my first Class A for a year, I'd have to manually defrost the freezer about once a month. With the residential style, no such issues.

I had my first Class A for 1.5 years. It was always powered up.

My last Travel Trailer was parked in storage for part of its life, the rest at our current home, which I've added a 30A connection. It has been powered up since 2006. I sold it last week.

It does NOT harm an A/C to leave it running. Seals tend to fail from lack of use, rather than overuse.

The humidity and heat will destroy the inside of a camper here in FL. But setting the thermostat to 80F, will keep it pristine inside.

Our current Class A was purchased last November, and has one A/C running the entire time. I'll soon be changing my RV outlet on the house to a 50A, so both units can cycle as needed.

Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2015 Forest River Georgetown 328TS
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's an either or proposition. You can't run the AC and have low utility bills. The AC is an energy hog and the insulation in a RV is just about non-existent. If you run the AC, you will pay thru the wazoo. If you don't run it you may have moisture issues. Pick your poison.

Rice

Wandering

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WTP-GC wrote:

Fridge won't eat up much utility cost.

It depends on the unit. My four-door Norcold uses about 7 kwh/day when it's on electric in moderate conditions. In the summer in South Texas, it will be running close to 24 hours/day, which would be about 10 kwh/day.

That accounts for about half my electric use if I'm not using the air conditioner.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> AC question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS