Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

air conditioner problems

jim427
Explorer
Explorer
1999 Fleetwood Discovery 38 ft.

So I'm minding my own business sitting in the RV with both front and rear A/C units running. Suddenly the coach fills with smoke from the air vents and the A/C units stop working. It happened so fast I don't really recall what noises they made, but now nothing on the climate control on the wall lights up or makes anything work. No fan motor, no clicks, no lights, no nothing. The rear unit was still making a sound like the compressor was running, but no fan. So I turned off the breakers to both units. When I turn the front breaker back on,....nothing. When I turn on the rear breaker, it still sounds like the compressor is running, but no fan. I can't find any blown fuses, and the breakers did not initially kick.

It's getting hot in here. Any ideas???
8 REPLIES 8

jim427
Explorer
Explorer
Not in me to call the man till I take a look under the hood. I'll climb on top in the morning to see what I can see.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Flute Man wrote:
If I were you, I would call a mobile AC tech and have them come check it out.

Agree. Cal the man Aunt Bee, Just call the man.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Smoke from a failed electrical component has a very distinct odor. It seems strange that both AC units failed at the same time so I think it may be something related to the comfort control center or the input voltage to both units. Perhaps the voltage dropped too low for some reason.

2bzy2c
Explorer
Explorer

Don't mess with capacitors unless you really know what you are doing.
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
If I were you, I would call a mobile AC tech and have them come check it out.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

Weldon
Explorer
Explorer
Unlikely both would go out at the same time. The smoke and odor can come from a capacitor. Remember the capacitor will have a charge in it after disconnect of power Take a screwdriver that has insulated handle and place screwdriver over terminals. When mine went it it was "swollen" in appearance.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a major failure of one or both A/C units.

Time to get some fans until the A/C is fixed

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like something burnt up. Fans , Start capacitors . If you are a DIY then up top and remove the covers and see what you have. Ensure no power to RV. If not call.