Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Why not forget holding tanks and just use portable tanks?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Why not forget holding tanks and just use portable tanks?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

myredracer wrote:

2manytoyz wrote:

When I had a pop-up camper, here's what we were dealing with at St. Andrews SP in FL. Look at the lower right of the bulletin board on the bath house.

I tried a bit of googling on the statute numbers on the sign. I didn't see anything specifically banning tote tanks. Maybe it's cross-referenced in their statutes. Would be interesting to see the exact wording, if any. Or is it just the particular CG that just doesn't want people dragging smelly noisy totes around?

What if your tote tank is grey or you painted it pink?? [emoticon]

Have been to a couple of CGs in Oregon where they said you can't lay you sewer hose directly on the ground. Most people do it anyway. It's a nuisance to have to set up hose supports especially if you have two outlets. I never do it. I tried to find the Oregon law once and couldn't. Maybe another example of CGs referencing rules that don't exist?

The statute grants rule making authority to a state department regarding operation of RV parks and specifically mentions sewage collection and handling. The statute itself doesn’t prohibit the tanks, but likely whatever department operates the state parks has a rule against them.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

How about a real idea?

If you have enough height inside your trailer perhaps consider building a subfloor on top of the existing floor. Sort of like 5th wheel trailers have a "basement" which is where their tanks are put.

Typically most RV tanks are 7 inches or a bit less tall so you could easily make a new floor around 7" higher for the bathroom only or the entire living space. This would also give you a chase for other plumbing and electrical items.

Setup your layout correctly and you could make the tanks go under kitchen or even beds so your raised floor may not need to be the entire living space.

This, exactly.

You need to get back to the drawing board.

Tanks come in all shapes and sizes. Check Ronco tanks for reference. Just design your tanks into the RV properly. Keep them inside to resist any freezing issues if that's a concern. Hang them under to keep a little more interior volume.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

Gdetrailer wrote:

How about a real idea?

If you have enough height inside your trailer perhaps consider building a subfloor on top of the existing floor. Sort of like 5th wheel trailers have a "basement" which is where their tanks are put.

Typically most RV tanks are 7 inches or a bit less tall so you could easily make a new floor around 7" higher for the bathroom only or the entire living space. This would also give you a chase for other plumbing and electrical items.

Setup your layout correctly and you could make the tanks go under kitchen or even beds so your raised floor may not need to be the entire living space.

This, exactly.

You need to get back to the drawing board.

Tanks come in all shapes and sizes. Check Ronco tanks for reference. Just design your tanks into the RV properly. Keep them inside to resist any freezing issues if that's a concern. Hang them under to keep a little more interior volume.

Forgot to mention, subfloor would also be very helpful for adding lots of insulation to the underside of your trailer.. typical RV trailers only have about R2 (1 1/2") or so of Styrofoam which doesn't amount to much at all.

Don't forget if installing tanks to also install a vent stack in each grey and black tank, vents can be 1 1/2" pipe and you want to take it up to the roof. Failure to do that would not be pretty.

steelhunter

North Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why bother with tanks at all?

Just cut a hole in the floor and bombs away!

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jkwilson wrote:

myredracer wrote:

2manytoyz wrote:

When I had a pop-up camper, here's what we were dealing with at St. Andrews SP in FL. Look at the lower right of the bulletin board on the bath house.

I tried a bit of googling on the statute numbers on the sign. I didn't see anything specifically banning tote tanks. Maybe it's cross-referenced in their statutes. Would be interesting to see the exact wording, if any. Or is it just the particular CG that just doesn't want people dragging smelly noisy totes around?

What if your tote tank is grey or you painted it pink?? [emoticon]

Have been to a couple of CGs in Oregon where they said you can't lay you sewer hose directly on the ground. Most people do it anyway. It's a nuisance to have to set up hose supports especially if you have two outlets. I never do it. I tried to find the Oregon law once and couldn't. Maybe another example of CGs referencing rules that don't exist?

The statute grants rule making authority to a state department regarding operation of RV parks and specifically mentions sewage collection and handling. The statute itself doesn’t prohibit the tanks, but likely whatever department operates the state parks has a rule against them.

RV forum drama. Not any state DEP or DCNR, or whatever they are named, has a rule against tote tanks. Post up the statute or link to one. I have hosted in parks in 4 different states and tote tanks have never even been a topic of discussion. Some of you people are missing a screw or two.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It actually 513.08 that says it’s illegal to dump sewage into anything other than an approved sewerage system.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2018/Chapter513/All

513.08?Disposal of sewage.—
(1)?It is unlawful to empty any receptacle or fixture containing human excreta, human urine, or any other liquid waste from a mobile home or recreational vehicle or at a recreational campsite except into a sewerage system approved by the department.
(2)?The operator or permittee of a mobile home park, lodging park, recreational vehicle park, or recreational camp shall provide such means for the emptying of such receptacles and for their cleaning as specified in the rules of the department.
History.—s. 1, ch. 19365, 1939; CGL 1940 Supp. 4150(2); ss. 19, 35, ch. 69-106; s. 3, ch. 76-168; s. 445, ch. 77-147; s. 1, ch. 77-457; ss. 2, 3, ch. 81-318; ss. 8, 14, 15, ch. 83-321; ss. 14, 26, ch. 93-150.

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 06:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

It actually 513.08 that says it’s illegal to dump sewage into anything other than an approved sewerage system.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2018/Chapter513/All

513.08?Disposal of sewage.—
(1)?It is unlawful to empty any receptacle or fixture containing human excreta, human urine, or any other liquid waste from a mobile home or recreational vehicle or at a recreational campsite except into a sewerage system approved by the department.
(2)?The operator or permittee of a mobile home park, lodging park, recreational vehicle park, or recreational camp shall provide such means for the emptying of such receptacles and for their cleaning as specified in the rules of the department.
History.—s. 1, ch. 19365, 1939; CGL 1940 Supp. 4150(2); ss. 19, 35, ch. 69-106; s. 3, ch. 76-168; s. 445, ch. 77-147; s. 1, ch. 77-457; ss. 2, 3, ch. 81-318; ss. 8, 14, 15, ch. 83-321; ss. 14, 26, ch. 93-150.

[emoticon][emoticon]

Please, when full blown geezer finally sets in will somebody cap me in the temple. Some of you folks are far beyond ridiculous.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don’t shoot the messenger, Cooter. I didn’t say I agreed with it, or the signs interpretation of it. I posted it because others were apparently having trouble even finding the statute that the sign was referring to.

And don’t call me a “full blown geezer”. I’m more of a half-a$$ed geezer even on my best days.

[emoticon][emoticon]

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

* This post was edited 08/09/19 09:30pm by myredracer *

Gil, Deb & Dougal a 15 year old Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH, shocks and Endurance LRE tires
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab, Bilstein shocks, heavy duty trailering option

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 09:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[emoticon]

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Why not forget holding tanks and just use portable tanks?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS