Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Downloading at Campground
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Downloading at Campground

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

burningman wrote:

You fire it up in gear and go....

[image]

That's one of the reasons I like manual trannies. That's also how we unloaded the camper in the dealers parking lot.... it was rather dynamic. [emoticon]

But we were a long way from the nearest ford dealer in Brevard, NC and we also had to drive off the mountain on hwy 276. That road is a long, very narrow, windy, 9% down grade mountain road. No way I would have driven that truck/Camper down that road without a clutch.

bradw

Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

lakeside013104

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't off load. TC stays on the truck. Where we camp the only transportation required is by foot or by canoe/kayak. No utilities to be concerned with. Exercise comes from cutting enough firewood from the surrounding dead trees to keep a fire at most all times. Fish to eat comes from the river or the pond we camp at. Entertainment comes from what nature has to offer. Occasionally we encounter a Forest Ranger or a Game Warden, who often times look at the campsite and decide for themselves that offenses will be found elsewhere, bidding us 'good day' and departing as silently as they arrived.

Back a few moons ago we did have a fellow camper show up and sit by our fire, shared a few stories and then he too moved on. The North Maine Woods offers 'room aplenty' for those so minded.

Camper on or off the truck is OK. No one cares what you do as long as you don't infringe on other campers private experience with your noise, litter, offensive loudness, night times lights which spoil the star gazing,or uncontrolled pets. Keeping those annoyances in check allows others to enjoy the complete and amazing serenity that surrounds us.

Safe travels,
Lakeside

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never download. I always leave the data onboard. Sometimes I like to cut and paste though, this saves a lot of time when transferring big items. Although it depends a lot on the speed at the campground. If it is slow then I would wait until I find higher access speed. Transfer is a lot of work and there is always the risk of corrupting your work every time you download and then have to upload again.

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depends on how long we'll be there. A day or two no, the joy of a TC is not having to bring anything else. Drop it and go...

[image]

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
1990 F350 S/C Lariat Dually (Red)
1990 S&S 11SC Cabover
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Clarryhill

Midcoast Maine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 05:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BradW wrote:

NRALIFR wrote:

BradW said: “Dang manual trannies, you just can't depend on them.....give me a good reliable automatic any day.”

I guess old dogs CAN learn new tricks when necessary! [emoticon]

[emoticon][emoticon]

I admit I was wrong about the new automatics. They have come a VERY long way.

Had to do a double-take on this to make sure it was actually Brad writing. [emoticon][emoticon]

2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

otrfun

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BradW wrote:

. . . That road is a long, very narrow, windy, 9% down grade mountain road. No way I would have driven that truck/Camper down that road without a clutch.

bradw
Wouldn't have been thrilled about working a manual through some of the nasty switchbacks we've driven through these last few months in N. CA, UT and CO. We lock our Cummins in 2nd or 3rd gear, activate the exhaust brake, and we're good-to-go. Keep the Cummins between 2 - 2.5k, which is the sweet spot for maximum exhaust braking on the downgrades, and good, responsive power delivery on the upgrades. Rarely needed the brakes. To each their own.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 10:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the contrary, steep grades and switchbacks is where I love having a manual trans truck.
No one can decide which gear you want but you.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 10:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Almost all newer vehicles have manual mode on automatic.
But the computer still has program that will protect vehicle from idiot driver.
My dually will start on 3rd gear from what I tried, but not higher.
It will hold the low gear down to 1000 rpm, but then it will downshift.
Best of all Worlds.

emcvay

Moses Lake WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/15/19 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm loving the new auto [emoticon] Downhill? No problem! Engine brake/exhaust brake on auto and just cruise on down the hill in style without ever needing to touch the break...and that's through hundreds and hundreds of miles of BC mountains [emoticon]

As for offloading, we did that on day one here (Tue) then had to load up and move 100 feet to a different spot (sewage not working at 1st)....was no problem at all [emoticon] Off loaded again and use the truck around town (here for a wedding so a little different perhaps).

2019 F350 Lariat FX4 DRW PS6.7
2019 AF990

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Downloading at Campground
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS