cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What do I need

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
I know from searches and skimming there are about a million different options as far as hitches, sliders, non sliders, etc. But I am still confused as we have been in a travel trailer for the last 16 years. I have a 2018 Ram 2500 4x4 short bed and am looking at a Grand Design 311bhs. What hitch do I need? I dont want to have cab to trailer contact on accident and want something fool proof. I've seen sliders but also something that hooks to the kingpin on the RV instead? I'm sure it's been asked before but help me please. I am also worried about bed clearance to the rv because my driveway is kind of steep getting in. What if anything do I need to be looking at there?
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs
32 REPLIES 32

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Coming lately disagree. 5er is slower to respond and takes much more area to maneuver than a TT.

I back my boat fast and easy compared to my 5er.

That is because the rear axle on a TV with a 5th wheel has to move left of right to effect the trailer movement. With a bumper pull when the front moves left or right the hitch moves the opposite direction effecting the trailer much quicker.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Coming lately disagree. 5er is slower to respond and takes much more area to maneuver than a TT.

I back my boat fast and easy compared to my 5er.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I thunk once you get a 5th wheel and back it up a few times you'll realize it is just as easy to back up as a TT. A properly balanced fiver tows very nice. Because there is 4 feet of trailer inside your truck box the total length of a truck / fiver combination is much shorter than a TT with the same interior space.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
6.7 tow rig wrote:
Well I'm getting cold feet. Too many what ifs, or maybe. Thing I like about the TT is in 30 years of camping never had a camper to truck issue. I'm thinking the Rockwood 8327ss travel trailer may be my next. Thanks for all the replies.

Don't let stuff here scare you off. When I went looking, I'd already had years of bumper pull towing as well as gooseneck towing. I know that no way in hell was I getting a TT; it was FW all the way for me. I've had 2 "major" incidents in 15 years of RVing. First was learning the hard way that you need to look in the same direction you're backing or you'll take out the back window in your truck and this most recent one. I've seen just as many bent trailer tongues and dented beds and broken taillights from TTs being jackknifed. The stability and overall ease of hitching/unhitching a FW, IMO, far outweighs that of a bumper pull.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
Well I'm getting cold feet. Too many what ifs, or maybe. Thing I like about the TT is in 30 years of camping never had a camper to truck issue. I'm thinking the Rockwood 8327ss travel trailer may be my next. Thanks for all the replies.
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Kevinwa wrote:
6.7 tow rig wrote:
I know from searches and skimming there are about a million different options as far as hitches, sliders, non sliders, etc. But I am still confused as we have been in a travel trailer for the last 16 years. I have a 2018 Ram 2500 4x4 short bed and am looking at a Grand Design 311bhs. What hitch do I need? I dont want to have cab to trailer contact on accident and want something fool proof. I've seen sliders but also something that hooks to the kingpin on the RV instead? I'm sure it's been asked before but help me please. I am also worried about bed clearance to the rv because my driveway is kind of steep getting in. What if anything do I need to be looking at there?

I have no input on hitches, but do have a cousin that pulls a Grand Design 311BHS with a short bed F-350, He has, on more than one occasion, bent his mid trailer leveling jack in gas stations etc. It hangs pretty low. Just a heads up to keep an eye on this if you go with that model.

I've seen MHs that have "fold away" jacks and I've always wondered why they wouldn't work on a FW. Either that, or a "compact", telescoping jack. Hell, the factory screw jack in my truck is only about 8" tall, but will jack about 20-24" high. I know that the rear jacks on my FW, right behind the rear tires, always concerns me.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
6.7 tow rig wrote:

You won't find a sliding hitch that is much more fool-proof than the Pullrite Superglide. I've been using mine for 9 years and have never not had it latch when I backed under it. Yes, I did just knock on some wood.
As far as your steep driveway, is it angled up or down? Angled down is when you need to worry about bed clearance. Angled up you need to worry about the back end of the trailer. And if the TT you had before cleared that you should be fine with the FW.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Braces
Explorer
Explorer
PullRite auto slider

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
6.7 tow rig wrote:

I have no input on hitches, but do have a cousin that pulls a Grand Design 311BHS with a short bed F-350, He has, on more than one occasion, bent his mid trailer leveling jack in gas stations etc. It hangs pretty low. Just a heads up to keep an eye on this if you go with that model.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
laknox wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Lyle when Chris texted me about what happened I said "I'm betting he pinned the handle back"

That is way I NEVER pin the handle back. I guess there may have been a couple times I did to keep the jaw open to pull away. BUT I always lock my handle closed as part of my routine. Padlock laying on top of my tool box as a reminder to "lock her up". ๐Ÿ˜‰

I had an issue very early on, where I couldn't get the jaws to release =without= the handle being pinned open, so I've always done it. Just got in a hurry and did things a bit out of sequence. Normally, I plug the cord into the truck, then jump into the bed to hook the breakaway cable, latch the hitch and pin in in place. Didn't do that and, well, the rest is history.

Lyle

I think that if you put just a little forward pressure on the jaws via dropping tranny in drive and then park it will always release correctly. Pressure the other direction would lead to to latch arm not wanting to stay open.

I came close once to dropping the trailer with my Hijacker, I spotted the trailer in the garage, got out put the land gear down and pulled the sliding bar out. Then I decided that the trailer was not in the correct location, raise the landing gear and jumped in and started to move forward when my wife yelled at me to stop.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Lyle when Chris texted me about what happened I said "I'm betting he pinned the handle back"

That is way I NEVER pin the handle back. I guess there may have been a couple times I did to keep the jaw open to pull away. BUT I always lock my handle closed as part of my routine. Padlock laying on top of my tool box as a reminder to "lock her up". ๐Ÿ˜‰

I had an issue very early on, where I couldn't get the jaws to release =without= the handle being pinned open, so I've always done it. Just got in a hurry and did things a bit out of sequence. Normally, I plug the cord into the truck, then jump into the bed to hook the breakaway cable, latch the hitch and pin in in place. Didn't do that and, well, the rest is history.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
laknox wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
To be clear when backing into a B&W "IF" the handle comes to the "LATCHED" position ti will NOT come loose. Many times I have backed into mine and the handle does NOT fully close even tho the jaws LOOK to be fully engaged.

Handle MUST be closed/locked!!!

This assumes that you're smart enough to remember to take the f'n PIN out of the hold-open position. :M

Lyle

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
laknox wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
To be clear when backing into a B&W "IF" the handle comes to the "LATCHED" position ti will NOT come loose. Many times I have backed into mine and the handle does NOT fully close even tho the jaws LOOK to be fully engaged.

Handle MUST be closed/locked!!!

This assumes that you're smart enough to remember to take the f'n PIN out of the hold-open position. :M

Lyle

I never found a need to lock the latch handle open on our B&W Patriot. The way it works spring tension is enough to hold it almost completely open, as one backs into the jaws I could watch in the camera in the back of the front box and see the handle open completely and then closed completely as the king pin was captured.

An outstanding design on all accounts. In fact, I moved the hitch end of the safety pin chain out onto the handle so it was easier to reach, and would no longer reach near the pivot point.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
laknox wrote:

Correct, but that pre-supposes that you actually =removed= the f'n pin locking the jaws in the open position for unhooking... As I said, STUPID!!!!

Lyle

There's the rest of the story. I wouldn't call it stupid unless it was my son in law doing it to my truck ..... then it would be STUPID!!!!
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5