Frig does not seem to be cooling?
Simple fix?
Any suggestions?
15 REPLIES 15

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
VA-Apraisr wrote:
Question: So, should we periodically remove the roof vent cover over the refrigerator to check for debris and/or other materials that may not be allowing the refrigerator to properly vent? Never even thought about doing this but sounds like a preventative maintenance item.

Yes, There are only 4 screws that hold the top cover in place. Just use a flashlight to look inside for any debris. Rodents can chew the top screen away and then build a nest. Doug

VA-Apraisr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Question: So, should we periodically remove the roof vent cover over the refrigerator to check for debris and/or other materials that may not be allowing the refrigerator to properly vent? Never even thought about doing this but sounds like a preventative maintenance item.

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Also, is the Refer in a slide room? Have you checked to roof top ventilation to make sure it is open for hot air to flow out? Doug
That is what came to my mind.

Make sure the roof vent (or upper vent if fridge is inside a slide-out) is not blocked by debris. Maybe a critter built a nest inside or at the opening of the vent.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Jerseydevil wrote:
joelc wrote:
? Is it iced up. Does it need defrosting. Where are you and what are the outside temps. What Temperature are you trying to keep it at. I have my Norcold on No. 6.

A muffin fan will work wonders if placed blowing over the evaporator coils outside.

0lder unit 2006. Have stat in middle. Has power, no ice up,light is green,in NJ, about 80 out.
Odd, and freezer has layer of ice at bottom.

A BAD/Blocked cooling unit will still freeze water in the freezer. Odds are, you have run it out of level enough over 13 years that the accumulation of doing that has finally blocked the refer. The ONLY sure way to verify is to wire the 120 element direct for 24 hours and see what happens. If it does NOT get down below 40 degrees the Cooling unit is BAD and needs replaced. Also, is the Refer in a slide room? Have you checked to roof top ventilation to make sure it is open for hot air to flow out? Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
pnichols wrote:
bobndot wrote:
pnichols wrote:
Mfan wrote:
It might be an easy fix. Is it on? Unplug the thermistor. That will call for max cold. If it gets cold, there is your problem.

Just curious for future reference, as we have the same model in our 2005 RV ... where is the thermistor and what does it look like?

Thanks in advance!

The 2nd pic is a 611 with location and wiring detail.
https://www.arprv.com/norcold-thermistor.php

Thanks ... that's what and where I thought it was.

I've read in the forums about sliding the thermistor up and down on the cooling fin in order to slightly adjust interior refrigerator temperature independent of the main (freezer) temperature setting.

Sliding the Thermister up and down is just for AUTO TEMP refers. They have no adjustable tstat. Moving the Thermister on a Auto temp only changes the interior temp about 4 to 6 degrees max----ie- was at 38 degrees and you move it and now at 34 degrees. Will NOT be a factor for poor cooling or NO cooling. Doug

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobndot wrote:
pnichols wrote:
Mfan wrote:
It might be an easy fix. Is it on? Unplug the thermistor. That will call for max cold. If it gets cold, there is your problem.

Just curious for future reference, as we have the same model in our 2005 RV ... where is the thermistor and what does it look like?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks ... that's what and where I thought it was.

I've read in the forums about sliding the thermistor up and down on the cooling fin in order to slightly adjust interior refrigerator temperature independent of the main (freezer) temperature setting.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
pnichols wrote:
Mfan wrote:

Thanks in advance!

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mfan wrote:

Thanks in advance!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Jerseydevil
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:
A little light reading/viewing perhaps?

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=AARPXaiDEs2StAaA4rgg&q=norcold+n611+troubleshooting&oq=no...

Did that. All signs say it should be cooling.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
A little light reading/viewing perhaps?

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=AARPXaiDEs2StAaA4rgg&q=norcold+n611+troubleshooting&oq=no...
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Jerseydevil
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
Does it cool better on gas? What is the model number? I believe you can find the model on a sticker inside the door. If you remove the outside panel can you see yellow powder? With the outside panel open can you carefully touch the chimney area and see if it's getting hot?

N611. Gas no better.
Panel was removed. Made sure no wires were off. Did not see any powder. Tubes and evaporator felt warm.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Does it cool better on gas? What is the model number? I believe you can find the model on a sticker inside the door. If you remove the outside panel can you see yellow powder? With the outside panel open can you carefully touch the chimney area and see if it's getting hot?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Jerseydevil
Explorer
Explorer
joelc wrote:
? Is it iced up. Does it need defrosting. Where are you and what are the outside temps. What Temperature are you trying to keep it at. I have my Norcold on No. 6.

A muffin fan will work wonders if placed blowing over the evaporator coils outside.

0lder unit 2006. Have stat in middle. Has power, no ice up,light is green,in NJ, about 80 out.
Odd, and freezer has layer of ice at bottom.

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer