cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitch Setup Question

MVH1
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 2016 F250 and it seems I can’t quite get the truck level with my camper and weight distribution on. I’m about 2” of sag on the truck and The camper is level. if I tighten the weight distribution chains the camper front end goes up and the back end of the truck barely moves. I know it’s not a lot of squat on the truck, but it’s bothersome. What do you guys think? Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Using the spring bars, try to get the trucks front axle to where the manual says it should be. I always try to get mine back to the unloaded weight so my headlights aim correctly. Many vehicle manufacturers only want the front axle to be only half of the unloaded weight though.

Once you get the front right, don't worry about the rear axle. As long as you are not overweight on it you are ok. The rear axle will take care of itself if the front is correct.

Take a long look at this thread for some help. 🙂
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
MVH1 wrote:
eHoefler wrote:
The hitch needs to have the head adjusted for the new truck, sounds like it sits higher than your old one.

I did adjust it. When I hook it up both the trailer and truck sag. The truck is about 3 inches in the rear. When I hook the WD bars up the trailer levels out and the truck comes up about one inch. I’m afraid if I move the head up another notch, the trailer front end will be too high and the truck will have the same sag. Thanks

I would try it and see what happens. I had a F250 that did the same thing. Adjusted one set of holes and problem solved. But at the end of the day 2" sag should not be an issue either.

MVH1
Explorer
Explorer
eHoefler wrote:
The hitch needs to have the head adjusted for the new truck, sounds like it sits higher than your old one.

I did adjust it. When I hook it up both the trailer and truck sag. The truck is about 3 inches in the rear. When I hook the WD bars up the trailer levels out and the truck comes up about one inch. I’m afraid if I move the head up another notch, the trailer front end will be too high and the truck will have the same sag. Thanks

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
eHoefler wrote:

That is what I am thinking. If your ball mount is too high it will naturally want to make it squat more. Lower it one set of holes if it is adjustable.

MVH1
Explorer
Explorer
I understand 2 inches isn’t much and the 50%. I’m just confused, because on my other trucks that pulled the same camper, I was able to get both truck and trailer level. My trailer is around 7,000 lbs loaded. ??

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
It's normal for a truck to sag a bit in the rear when loaded. The purpose of WD is to return weight to the front. A couple inches of sag is not even close to excessive.

That is correct, your owners manual says to bring the front back by half of what it changed by using the weight distribution. If the rear is then excessively low, consider adding air bags to restore ride height.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
It's normal for a truck to sag a bit in the rear when loaded. The purpose of WD is to return weight to the front. A couple inches of sag is not even close to excessive. If the TT is level and the front is returned close to it's unloaded height, I wouldn't worry about it.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
My 2010 F250 sits about 2" lower than unloaded in the rear with our 900~lb tongue weight. About 3" lower without the WD bars attached. Perfect in my humble opinion. If you need something to bother you, think about the stress the WD bars put on the trailer's A frame. It's already carrying the load of the tongue weight. Then we pull down on the A frame with tremendous force with the bars adding greatly to the stress on the A frame to chassis point. Maybe more than doubling the load. I don't know the calculation or how to measure it. I prefer to use as little WD as is necessary to bring the front of the TV about halfway down to it's unloaded height.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
Add stableloads and if needed timbrens.