Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winnebago Pesticide Policy

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The most recent Winnebago Go Mail (email) “newsletter” advocates the following:

“4. Bug Spray Around Perimeter of RV - Exterior insect killer sprayed around the perimeter of your RV is a great line of defense. Diatomaceous earth is another great insect repellant, and is actually a natural, non-toxic bug repellent alternative if pets or kids will be around the RV! Remember to reapply these products after it rains, as they’ll get washed away.”

I’d hate to be the eleventh camper in a site after the last ten sprayed insecticide around their RV with the blessing of Winnebago. What about my kid and my pets? And where does Winnebago think the insecticide goes when it’s “washed away?

Very irresponsible advice.

See Clicky
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad
13 REPLIES 13

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
This is hardly what I call Winnebago's "policy". Seems like more of a common-sense recommendation that most people already know.

Feel free to exert yourself worrying about the heavily diluted and often ineffective consumer pesticides that someone "might" spray around the edge of their camper...but pay no mind to the diet soda you drink which contains deadly chemicals which you can't even pronounce, or the box of crackers you buy with numerous chemical-sounding ingredients, or the open-air produce in your grocery store that people walk by all day sneezing on it, coughing on it, handling it after petting their dog in their shopping cart...etc.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lwiddis wrote:

“4. Bug Spray Around Perimeter of RV - Exterior insect killer sprayed around the perimeter of your RV is a great line of defense. Diatomaceous earth is another great insect repellant, and is actually a natural, non-toxic bug repellent alternative if pets or kids will be around the RV! Remember to reapply these products after it rains, as they’ll get washed away.”

I’d hate to be the eleventh camper in a site after the last ten sprayed insecticide around their RV with the blessing of Winnebago. What about my kid and my pets? And where does Winnebago think the insecticide goes when it’s “washed away?

See Clicky
OK what do you use to rid the ants crawling in?

What is harmful with diatomaceous earth?

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
Hanny Penny, the sky is falling. Perhaps in CA it is.
bumpy

:B;):B

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
There is a lot of overuse of pesticides but, it is overused a lot more in the Agriculture Industry then what it is by campers or homeowners.

Tough to make a profit in farming. They don't use them unless they have to apply one.
2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lwiddis wrote:

See Clicky

Diatomaceous Earth is the remains of billions of Diatoms that lived in the seas many years ago, died, built up layers and layers, and then eventually were turned in to rock. This rock is mined, ground up or pulverized, and then can be used as an insect repellent. It is actually like very fine sea shells ground up into a talcum like powder. It is not irresponsible to use and does no harm to us or anything else other than the bugs.:B
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a lot of overuse of pesticides but, it is overused a lot more in the Agriculture Industry then what it is by campers or homeowners.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anybody know Winnebago's position on nuclear power?
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
folks here who advocate dumping grey water at the campsite are of more concern to me.
bumpy

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Huh... been camping for several decades, have never sprayed toxins around my campsite, but somehow never had a problem with bugs invading... go figure...

This sounds like something I'd see on a Facebook camping page full of noobs.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Two funny comments. Thanks Bumpy and Dutchman!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
The ants go marching one by one, hurrah, hurrah
The ants go marching one by one, hurrah, hurrah
The ants go marching one by one,
The little one stops to suck his thumb
And they all go marching down to the ground
To get out of the rain, BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

The ants go marching two by two, hurrah, hurrah
The ants go marching two by two, hurrah, hurrah
The ants go marching two by two,
The little one stops to tie his shoe
And they all go marching down to the ground
To get out of the rain, BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! ....

Lets the ants invade! Save the environment! Who needs a solid floor in their campers anyway, or a roof that is not eat up by carpenter ants, or your favorite cereal box filled with black crawling things. Nay! Let them in and eat up your $35,000 camper! Common' ants ... FREE LUNCH!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most lawn type Insecticides are pet friendly but I use DE (Diatomaceous earth) it has made a lot of difference in my creepy crawly population.

10 pounds of food grade goes a LONG LONG way
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Hanny Penny, the sky is falling. Perhaps in CA it is.
bumpy