cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suggestions on single axle trailer and SUV tow vehicle

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
I've been looking at single axle trailers in the 16' range and plan on towing it with a Suburban, Expedition, or Tahoe for a 2 month stay in Baja to visit friends there. The GVW range on these vary, but look doable. Is a single axle ok for travel down there? I'll bring 2 spares and jack. Headed for the El Pescadero area. Reason I'm going smaller is my budget as I can find older/used vehicles much less expensive than a pickup. I'm a bit of a minimalist and really don't need a 20' or larger trailer. Thoughts on this plan appreciated.

Edit: anyone have experience with a new or 5 years old or less Starcraft AR-One trailer?
14 REPLIES 14

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Jebby14 wrote:
the expedition can make a great tow vehicle for a trailer <27 feet. Only reason I didn't get one instead of my f150 was the price tag. Lots of options with this vehicle. also means you don't need to drive a POS Chevy so that's a win.

Ooooh...and I thought I liked you ๐Ÿ˜‰
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
the expedition can make a great tow vehicle for a trailer <27 feet. Only reason I didn't get one instead of my f150 was the price tag. Lots of options with this vehicle. also means you don't need to drive a POS Chevy so that's a win.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Acdii wrote:
Check out an Expedition with the Ecoboost engine. That engine is rock solid and can tow a mountain. The 3.5 EB can out power anything the others you mentioned have unless it is a 6.2, and good luck finding one.

The post-aluminum ones even have decent payload, ~1,700 pounds on the few I've looked at at auto shows.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
Check out an Expedition with the Ecoboost engine. That engine is rock solid and can tow a mountain. The 3.5 EB can out power anything the others you mentioned have unless it is a 6.2, and good luck finding one.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
where you planning to put everything? you are extremely limited on storage. I would plan out what is going to go where and make sure it fits.

clothes, cooking equipment, food, toiletries being the main things inside. outside, chairs, jacks, hitch equipment, basic tools, any games or hobby equipment you may like, bug protection, additional shelter or ground coverings......
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimx200 wrote:
Thanks to all for your replies. I've looked at 3 trailers so far and would like to find one with the rear queen bed vs bunk beds. Looking today at tow vehicles and seeing lots of good choices. I will have my mechanic check out the vehicle before purchase.
Question (and want to confirm my thoughts): would a longer wheel base like on a Suburban give me better handling vs a shorter wheelbase Yukon/Tahoe? Is one easier to back up the trailer? Thanks again

Thoughts on this one? Can anyone see any negatives? https://www.happydazerv.com/product/new-2019-starcraft-autumn-ridge-outfitter-171rd-1012217-29

Yes, absolutely the Suburban makes a much better tow than the Tahoe or standard Yukon (Yukon XL is same chassis as Suburban).

As far as that Starcraft, that layout gives you a really short bed, being 6'3" I didn't fit in any of the east/west beds with the storage at the foot, if you're both shorter than it's probably not an issue.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
rough roads?
id be looking at tandem axles and big tyres
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for your replies. I've looked at 3 trailers so far and would like to find one with the rear queen bed vs bunk beds. Looking today at tow vehicles and seeing lots of good choices. I will have my mechanic check out the vehicle before purchase.
Question (and want to confirm my thoughts): would a longer wheel base like on a Suburban give me better handling vs a shorter wheelbase Yukon/Tahoe? Is one easier to back up the trailer? Thanks again

Thoughts on this one? Can anyone see any negatives? https://www.happydazerv.com/product/new-2019-starcraft-autumn-ridge-outfitter-171rd-1012217-29

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
fitznj wrote:
I have a KZ 18th (toy hauler) - single axle and 3500lbs. I don't need all the
bells and whistles and this camper has been perfect. I've stayed in it for over
145 days in the past 2 years and towed it out to Big Bend and back.

It's easy to tow, easy to backup, easy to park and tons of room inside with
a full shower/toiler and queen bed.

Have not had a single problem - Cherokee make a WolfPup 16 which is slightly
shorter and narrower but does not have a full bathroom.

On the Wolf Pup toy hauler, it's a wet bath IIRC. My 16BHS has a dry bath, no sink in the BR. I like my TT but if the grandkids' bunks weren't part of the purchase decision, I'd have got the couple's version with the north-South bed in the front and bathroom across the back. IF you get a Wolf Pup, new or used, check out out the various modification threads here to find hidden, unused storage space.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
The biggest problem in Mexico is flats -- the roads can be rough and the potholes are sharp. Make sure you have excellent tires. Some folks say LT tires are tougher. I like the Endurance, a US made ST tire. Either way, when you see a sign that says TOPES, slow down right now.

Please don't ask how I know this.

Just so I can experience jealousy and envy, where in Mexico are you going? (I want to go back there but DW does not.)
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I have a KZ 18th (toy hauler) - single axle and 3500lbs. I don't need all the
bells and whistles and this camper has been perfect. I've stayed in it for over
145 days in the past 2 years and towed it out to Big Bend and back.

It's easy to tow, easy to backup, easy to park and tons of room inside with
a full shower/toiler and queen bed.

Have not had a single problem - Cherokee make a WolfPup 16 which is slightly
shorter and narrower but does not have a full bathroom.

I'm leaving for a 2 month trip out west again this winter.
Gerry

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Our first tt was a Starcraft AR-One. Model 17RD, single axle. We had it for 6 years and never had a single issue with it, and we put a LOT of mileage on it. It is a bare bones camper, but had a ton of storage. When I say bare bones, Iโ€™m talking about manual awning, a water heater I had to light the pilot on, etc. The only down side was a east-west bed that was hard to make and only the dinette to sit at. Holding tanks were a bit small, but was no big deal. We really liked it a lot and hated to get rid of it.

We towed it with a 6 cylinder GMC Envoy. Lock out 4th gear, and it went up anything. You would definitely be good with a Yukon/Suburban/Expedition. Donโ€™t fear the single axle, there are tons of them out there.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 21' Starcraft AR-One trailer and regret selling it every day. It was the perfect size for my use. Well built and a great floor plan.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Many single axel TTs have low cargo weights and once you add water, propane and batteries youโ€™ll be in the only 500 pounds more range.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad