cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jay Leno predicts demise of vehicles running on gas.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Do you see the same?

It is relevant to us with Tesla's plan to release their pick-up with the same towing capabilities as F150 and their soon-to-be-launched semis that I'm sure manufacturers can modify into RVs.

Jay Leno added that currently, there is no more reasons for people to buy mid-range luxury gas-fed cars as its performance is matched by mid-level electric cars and entry-level Tesla and so much economical to run and maintain.
270 REPLIES 270

Community Alumni
Not applicable
How Germany is experimenting with how to charge EVs without overly burdening the existing grid.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-germany-charging-analysis/can-power-napping-solve-electric-car-charging-challenge-idUSKCN1VH0JY

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
gemsworld wrote:
Nowhere did I say to add another vehicle to the existing household fleet. In case I wasn't clear, I meant an ICE vehicle can be replaced with an EV for short commutes and errands. It goes without saying this scenario won't work for everyone.

I agree. Yes it can. Providing the one it replaces did not have the same drive requirements as the other in the fleet. Much the same way I could replace a F150 with a Prius.

That goes without saying!:B

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
gemsworld wrote:
Nowhere did I say to add another vehicle to the existing household fleet. In case I wasn't clear, I meant an ICE vehicle can be replaced with an EV for short commutes and errands. It goes without saying this scenario won't work for everyone.

I agree. Yes it can. Providing the one it replaces did not have the same drive requirements as the other in the fleet. Much the same way I could replace a F150 with a Prius.

Community Alumni
Not applicable

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
gemsworld wrote:
Many households have 2 or more vehicles, and having an EV for short commutes or running errands makes a lot of sense, in my opinion

Based on what financial metric. By 2 or more vehicles that is typically equal to the number of drivers. It doesn’t matter the efficiency, drivers+x vehicles, is very hard to justify cost. If you want electric do it. But good luck doing the math adding a vehicle just to do errands that nets less cost than doing the errands in the vehicles you own.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Many households have 2 or more vehicles, and having an EV for short commutes or running errands makes a lot of sense, in my opinion.

And just like some of you here that are always preaching about buying used RVs versus new, you can do the same with EVs and hybrids.

Prices on 3 year-old EVs and hybrids:

2016 Nissan Leaf with 84 to 107 mile range - $10,991 in Autotrader

2016 Tesla Model S with 208 to 315 mile range - $44,600 in Autotrader

2016 Chevy Volt hybrid with 53 mile battery range and unlimited on gas - $15,697 in Autotrader.

My personal choice would be the Chevy Volt since you can have the best of both worlds and not have to suffer from range anxiety. Too bad GM killed it.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:Yes, these issues can all be addressed but in the meantime they are real reasons not to buy an EV. And of course the cost for many of these EV's puts them out of reach for many people.

What works for you may not necessarily work for everyone.

I agree EV is not for everyone.
But before EV can work for anyone. The user must desire to have an EV if you don't desire an EV it will never work for you.
If you are a dedicated to EV you will conquer the obstacles and find a way to make EV work for you.
In a way EV ownership is similar to RV ownership. Many store their RV's off site.
They load and unload at the storage and go through a lot of challenges to have an RV. Fortunately I am able to keep my RV at home. I doubt I would own ab RV if I had to use storage, but I understand many meet the challenges of off site storage and manage to enjoy RV'ing much in the way some with only street parking find a way to own a EV. It all starts with having the will and desire to own an EV.
Where there is a will there's a way. For the record RV'ing is not for everyone either
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Has anyone forgotten how the conventional car companies pooh poohed all-electric cars as impossible and will be too costly to be viable?
No I don't, but I do remember them saying that they were impractical. And still are for a fairly large segment of the population. Within 10 years, they'll be more practical, unless something else comes along to displace them.

Care to explain why it's still impractical for the "fairly large segment of the population."?
A large segment of the people in my part of the country don't necessarily have a garage, or carport. They park on the street. How do they recharge overnight? Or drive some distance to work and don't have access to recharging while working. Or have to periodically drive long distances without having ready access to charging while traveling. Yes, these issues can all be addressed but in the meantime they are real reasons not to buy an EV. And of course the cost for many of these EV's puts them out of reach for many people.

Your last statement is so very true.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
Has anyone forgotten how the conventional car companies pooh poohed all-electric cars as impossible and will be too costly to be viable?
No I don't, but I do remember them saying that they were impractical. And still are for a fairly large segment of the population. Within 10 years, they'll be more practical, unless something else comes along to displace them.

Care to explain why it's still impractical for the "fairly large segment of the population."?
A large segment of the people in my part of the country don't necessarily have a garage, or carport. They park on the street. How do they recharge overnight? Or drive some distance to work and don't have access to recharging while working. Or have to periodically drive long distances without having ready access to charging while traveling. Yes, these issues can all be addressed but in the meantime they are real reasons not to buy an EV. And of course the cost for many of these EV's puts them out of reach for many people.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Lantley wrote:
gemsworld wrote:
An EV makes sense for many households.

"According to ABC News, the average American drives 16 miles to work each way, with a daily commute totaling nearly an hour round trip."

How Far Do Americans Drive to Work on Average?

This^^^^ Is the real driving force behind EV. Most of us live close enough to work that an and an EV can get the job done.
NO an EV is not for everyone in every location but most of us fall within the 16 mile range which make us an EV candidate. Lack of infrastructure can and will be overcome and is not the determining factor.
Think of an EV more as a souped up golf cart capable of reaching highway speeds with basic amenities.
Most of us could use such a vehicle if we changed our mindset.
Most of us including myself do not think we are EV compatible, but an EV could easily replace 3 out of my households 5 cars.
There is a place in most households in most parts of the country for an EV.

We are under that average for our commute but tend to make it up on weekend plus it’s not uncommon for me to do a couple hundred kilometres for work related stuff during the week. Less in the winter as we try to get away for a bit. Having said that, winter is the season we appreciate the EV more than any other season. Instant heat, pre-warm, never scraping windows. Soooo much more convenient.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
gemsworld wrote:

"According to ABC News, the average American drives 16 miles to work each way, with a daily commute totaling nearly an hour round trip."

This^^^^ Is the real driving force behind EV. Most of us live close enough to work that an and an EV can get the job done.
NO an EV is not for everyone in every location but most of us fall within the 16 mile range which make us an EV candidate. Lack of infrastructure can and will be overcome and is not the determining factor.
Think of an EV more as a souped up golf cart capable of reaching highway speeds with basic amenities.
Most of us could use such a vehicle if we changed our mindset.
Most of us including myself do not think we are EV compatible, but an EV could easily replace 3 out of my households 5 cars.
There is a place in most households in most parts of the country for an EV.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Community Alumni
Not applicable

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Bert Ackerman wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Yosemite Sam, by reading the history of your posts, it's evident you assume that the entire country is exactly the same as where you live, and everyone's living conditions are identical to yours.

Never mind me and where I live. I'm not the topic here if you'll notice.

But would you want to answer for @fj12ryder how EV can be impractical?

Bert_Ackerman
Explorer
Explorer
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Yosemite Sam, by reading the history of your posts, it's evident you assume that the entire country is exactly the same as where you live, and everyone's living conditions are identical to yours.