Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Jay Leno predicts demise of vehicles running on gas.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Jay Leno predicts demise of vehicles running on gas.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 28  
Prev  |  Next
Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/19 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Thanks for sharing the full clip (I've seen only part of it and another where he said the same thing).

I wonder what he meant my "long haul" with Tesla coming up with semis. But I believe this refers to low value cargo which are more economical to ship via high volume rails.

As to farmers a bit far from charging stations, Tesla has been packaging their cars with either solar roof or referrals to wire houses to install wiring for their chargers.
Leno seemed to be speaking to long distance car driving. I would not read into it to speculate on towing, commercial trucking or any RV.

Even more interesting for me is that Leno claims to have done zero maintenance on his Model S in three years. This part often gets lost in the range vs charging in 5 minutes discussion.

My daughter owns a Tesla Model X going for 2 years now and confirmed the zero maintenance claim. Though she said, she kind of curious to see how quickly their home-service commitment for repairs should she needs them -- hoping it won't happen of course.

In her trips between LA and San Francisco, she says the length of stops, which she also uses to take either lunch or dinner, is similar or even shorter, a 20-minute charging when she's in a hurry, than when she was using her gasoline car.

The range is 325 miles and not sure if she will ever need the 500 mile range battery if its made available.

Their electric bills has not gone up perceptively.

She and husband says they will never buy a gasoline car or SUV where they intend to replace the Range Rover, used for heavy lifting and towing, with the Tesla pick up.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/19 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

It doesn't matter. The world is going to end in 12 years. [emoticon]
Hasn't that clock been running for nearly a year? You should now be planning your spending to liquidate your accounts in 11 years. Why leave a years worth of money on a dead planet?

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/19 09:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

gbopp wrote:

It doesn't matter. The world is going to end in 12 years. [emoticon]
Hasn't that clock been running for nearly a year? You should now be planning your spending to liquidate your accounts in 11 years. Why leave a years worth of money on a dead planet?
I guess I should start drawing my Social Security early in that case. [emoticon]

EV2

South Dakota/Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/19 09:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Already have brownouts on the coasts at times of heavy draw. No new power plants are being built and renewable only provides a part of existing load when wind and solar conditions are right. Nuclear is a solution but is being socially rejected. Now, add several million charging outlets and all goes to hates. Yes, it will work universally eventually, but not in my lifetime, so not too worried about the value of my internal combustion vehicles after I am dead.

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/19 09:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Do you see the same?

It is relevant to us with Tesla's plan to release their pick-up with the same towing capabilities as F150 and their soon-to-be-launched semis that I'm sure manufacturers can modify into RVs.

Jay Leno added that currently, there is no more reasons for people to buy mid-range luxury gas-fed cars as its performance is matched by mid-level electric cars and entry-level Tesla and so much economical to run and maintain.

Not anytime soon,but ask anyone driving Tesla IF they will ever go back to ICE vehicles.
Ive never heard a single one person say yes.
The eficiency of EV and lack of any serious maintanance makes EV simply better.
Besides Mustang Ford wont even make any cars
GM is kiling Camaro
China wont allow ice cars after 2025
I think Big 3 better get making Evs or they will become very small in the near future

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/19 09:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Do you see the same?

It is relevant to us with Tesla's plan to release their pick-up with the same towing capabilities as F150 and their soon-to-be-launched semis that I'm sure manufacturers can modify into RVs.

Jay Leno added that currently, there is no more reasons for people to buy mid-range luxury gas-fed cars as its performance is matched by mid-level electric cars and entry-level Tesla and so much economical to run and maintain.

Yep Jay is correct, ICE will soon be a dinosaur, I suspect in 10 years over 60 percent of new cars/trucks sold will be electric.

Did you know Ford already has a all electric F-53 motorhome chassis..

My old 2008 Bounder is going to be with me for a very long time, no reason to waste money on a new ICE motorhome cause soon it will be worthless along with satellite TV..

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/19 09:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Thanks for sharing the full clip (I've seen only part of it and another where he said the same thing).

I wonder what he meant my "long haul" with Tesla coming up with semis. But I believe this refers to low value cargo which are more economical to ship via high volume rails.

As to farmers a bit far from charging stations, Tesla has been packaging their cars with either solar roof or referrals to wire houses to install wiring for their chargers.
Leno seemed to be speaking to long distance car driving. I would not read into it to speculate on towing, commercial trucking or any RV.

Even more interesting for me is that Leno claims to have done zero maintenance on his Model S in three years. This part often gets lost in the range vs charging in 5 minutes discussion.

My daughter owns a Tesla Model X going for 2 years now and confirmed the zero maintenance claim. Though she said, she kind of curious to see how quickly their home-service commitment for repairs should she needs them -- hoping it won't happen of course.

In her trips between LA and San Francisco, she says the length of stops, which she also uses to take either lunch or dinner, is similar or even shorter, a 20-minute charging when she's in a hurry, than when she was using her gasoline car.

The range is 325 miles and not sure if she will ever need the 500 mile range battery if its made available.

Their electric bills has not gone up perceptively.

She and husband says they will never buy a gasoline car or SUV where they intend to replace the Range Rover, used for heavy lifting and towing, with the Tesla pick up.

We have three vehicles. A diesel pusher and two EV’s. We have been driving the EV’s for about four years. Our total maintenance bill is 3 jugs of washer fluid. The one car will need new wipers next year. We are not tied to EV’s. If they ever design a gas or diesel car that is as convenient or has the same characteristics as an EV we would consider it but I kinda doubt that will happen. Fuel companies would also have to get on board and do overnight delivery to the house while we are sleeping or maybe some kind of natural gas connection one could easily connect. The price of gas would have to drop by 75 percent as well. They would need to get rid of the stink and noise. Lifetime oil, belts filters etc. They would have to add a heat pump for instant winter heat and a way to run the AC without running the motor. Performance would have to improve obviously. But, if they do that kinda thing we would consider a gas or diesel car.

Of course if we ever have to go back to the cold prairies we’would buy another Jeep Grand Cherokee without hesitation. Right tool for the right job.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/19 09:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Do you see the same?

Not anytime soon,but ask anyone driving Tesla IF they will ever go back to ICE vehicles.
GM is kiling Camaro
I think Big 3 better get making Evs or they will become very small in the near future

It might happen earlier than we expected.

I can't remember which country in Northern Europe in the news recently where 45% of new car sales are already EV. And Tesla is selling every car that they ship into the country with 6 months waiting list.

Even the European car companies are surprised that they are now scrambling to do all electric cars.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/19 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

free radical wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Do you see the same?

GM is kiling Camaro

It might happen earlier than we expected.

I can't remember which country in Northern Europe in the news recently where 45% of new car sales are already EV. And Tesla is selling every car that they ship into the country with 6 months waiting list.

Even the European car companies are surprised that they are now scrambling to do all electric cars.

That would be Norway. Now over 55 percent.

timmac

Las Vegas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/19 09:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

Well if scientists are correct we'll be Borg ( Star Trek reference) in 80 years and have no need to travel, we'll all share a collective memory. Just as valid as any other WAG about the future.

For those that watch CNN and believe their Fake News are already Borgs..

[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 28  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Jay Leno predicts demise of vehicles running on gas.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS