Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Jay Leno predicts demise of vehicles running on gas.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Jay Leno predicts demise of vehicles running on gas.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 28  
Prev  |  Next
zcookiemonstar

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 12:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember when I was a kid people thought we would all have flying cars by now.

edatlanta

Maplesville, AL - Home Base

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 03:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D.E.Bishop wrote:

[image]

Nor do I think he knows any more about the demise of the fossil fueled motor vehicle than I do.

I watch movies and most entertainers (except a few that I wouldn't watch jump out of a tree on to concrete), but I don't care one bit what they think personally. Pro-Athletes are another story - I don't watch sports of any kind EVER and certainly don't care what they think.

Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 04:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Electrical vehicles very well might be the future. The way I look at it my Diesel should last my lifetime since projected lifespan is 76 years for a male. When I get older it does not make economic sense to replace. The only thing that could sideline my plan is the unavailability of fuel.

I do agree that I don't give a tinker's darn about what overpaid actors and glorified athletes say.

thomas201

Eastern Panhandle WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 05:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a common problem with prediction of any kind. You take a trend and project it into the future. This is of course not valid, since it ignores innovation. The problem is, how do you predict a new idea?

I am a retired Petroleum Engineer, so I will pick on my old business. We were finding less oil per year, at one point we were finding less oil than we consumed each year. Boom, stretch that trend into the future and we got Peak Oil. We should be in dire straits right now, but we are not. In fact the US, which was a has been, will/is the biggest oil producer on earth again.

How did this happen? People rejected what we had been taught in college, and the conventional wisdom of the time that we could not produce the oil in source rock (shale). Experts ignored this work and continued to teach and preach that it could not be done. Well, who was right?

So good luck predicting the future. Don't forget the power of the human mind, and don't forget that most of Africa and Asia have yet to industrialize. They want a life just like ours, and they will do whatever it takes to get it. My prediction #1.

#2, whatever we predict, it will be different.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 05:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

for those of you who claim little/no maintenance cost, have you priced battery replacement yet?
bumpy

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have to come clean, my post about Athletes, Media folks and Entertainers was taken from Grant Whipp's Facebook page. Grant was the designer and maker of the Lil Bear Teardrop Trailers. Like most RVers, a really cool person.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
Back to a 2006 Suzi GV
Roadmaster 5000
Roadmaster Invisibrake

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

for those of you who claim little/no maintenance cost, have you priced battery replacement yet?
bumpy

Good morning Bumpy.

Nope. For two reasons.

1. We never keep our vehicles for more than 6 or 7 years. The battery warranty is good for 8.

2. The batteries are “supposed to be” good for the life of the car or 13 to 14 years. We’ll have to see how that plays out. The first modern mass produced EV was the 2011 Nissan Leaf. The 2011 and 2012 Leafs had horrible degradation problems in constant high heat situations like Phoenix etc. They changed the chemistry in 2013 to improve that. However in less extreme situations the original leafs did ok. The majority of the Leaf taxi fleet in Madrid is still on the road. Tesla’s suffer little degradation even in high heat because of liquid cooling.

Just conjecture but my guess few people will spend the money on replacing batteries. They’ll probably just trade it in and someone with less range requirements will buy it.

Personal experience. We have a first generation Leaf. We haven’t noticed any significant amount of battery degradation. But, other than middle of the summer it doesn’t get that hot here. We’ll be trading it in for something new in the next year or two. Not sure what yet. Probably another hatchback. Maybe the model Y Tesla. Wouldn’t hesitate to get another Leaf though. Rock solid. Never had a bit of maintenance other than washer fluid. Tough little car. Kinda goofy lookin. I’ll miss that in the next one [emoticon]. Whoever gets this one will get a great little commuter.

[image]

Cheers.

FlatBroke

CO/AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

Electrical vehicles very well might be the future. The way I look at it my Diesel should last my lifetime since projected lifespan is 76 years for a male. When I get older it does not make economic sense to replace. The only thing that could sideline my plan is the unavailability of fuel.

I do agree that I don't give a tinker's darn about what overpaid actors and glorified athletes say.

Well dog darn it my Dmax will probably out live me. We’re about the same age but he had better doctors.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

rightlaneonly

CA..

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, think of the unemployment[emoticon]

Lee & Jane
2007 Ford F 150
sold the trailer but still lurking around here, traveling vicariously.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Do you see the same?

It is relevant to us with Tesla's plan to release their pick-up with the same towing capabilities as F150 and their soon-to-be-launched semis that I'm sure manufacturers can modify into RVs.

Jay Leno added that currently, there is no more reasons for people to buy mid-range luxury gas-fed cars as its performance is matched by mid-level electric cars and entry-level Tesla and so much economical to run and maintain.

Leno is nothing but a filthy rich dork.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 28  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Jay Leno predicts demise of vehicles running on gas.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS