Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Jay Leno predicts demise of vehicles running on gas.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Jay Leno predicts demise of vehicles running on gas.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 28  
Prev  |  Next
wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think Leno is right, petroleum powered vehicles will be relegated to specialty applications, their days of being mainstream are numbered.

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

for those of you who claim little/no maintenance cost, have you priced battery replacement yet?
bumpy

Cheers.

and when you sell/trade in your old EV do you think that the value won't be lessened by the loss of value in your battery system?
take that loss into consideration as "maintenance". years back I read a comparison, in CR [emoticon] IIRC, of the cost of gas vs electric of I think it was a corolla and the gas won.
so save the world, and IN OHIO power it with juice produced from coal.
bumpy

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

and when you sell/trade in your old EV do you think that the value won't be lessened by the loss of value in your battery system?

What do you think happens to ICE vehicles? Many of them lose 50% or more of their value in three years.

Too bad GM killed the Chevy Volt. It offered the best of both worlds. You could run on electric power for 50 miles, which is more than adequate as a grocery-getter or commuter car, or drive across the country using gasoline without having range anxiety.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

for those of you who claim little/no maintenance cost, have you priced battery replacement yet?
bumpy

Cheers.

take that loss into consideration as "maintenance". years back I read a comparison, in CR [emoticon] IIRC, of the cost of gas vs electric of I think it was a corolla and the gas won.
so save the world, and IN OHIO power it with juice produced from coal.
bumpy

Well, in our case there hasn’t been much degradation so I doubt it will play much of a roll in its trade in value.

Can’t comment on cost of gas cars electric as that depends on how much you pay for gas and electricity where you live. Where we live it’s not even close. We get about 6.7 KM per kWh of power. A kWh is about 11 cents here. I haven’t payed attention to gas prices here so don’t know what it currently is but I’ll guess around 1.25 per litre.

Power here comes from hydro but I’m not much of an environmental warrior. Electric is just a superior transportation mode for us in every aspect. Then again we don’t need to tow and even a long trip for us is around 500 km. Those with different needs may be well served by a gasser or diesel. Our diesel pusher would be hard to replace with electric at this point.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SidecarFlip wrote:

Leno is nothing but a filthy rich dork.

Jay Leno is a cool car guy. He's been around as a stage comedian for about 40+ years and a serious car guy before that. He was a car mechanic before he started his comedy career. A lot of his early comedy revolved around cars.

According to people I talk to that have met him at the Rock Store, he's an eminently approachable guy. Loves bikes and cars.

Pretty obvious you know nothing...about him.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SidecarFlip wrote:

Leno is nothing but a filthy rich dork.
You should change your handle to SidecarFlippant.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What happens when the power grid goes down from a a emf burst or sun activity? High density population area's like the eastern seaboard or west coast has had brown outs and black outs. Dependent on gas generators? Fuel stations can use a generator or manual pump to get the fuel out of the tanks?

What about battery recycling and production on a massive scale and environmental concerns? It's going to take a lot of mining to come up with the materials to manufacturer batteries on a global scale. I don't have the answers but believe these questions should be asked.

* This post was edited 08/11/19 09:53am by colliehauler *

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

What happens when the power grid goes down from a a emf burst or sun activity? What about battery recycling and production on a massive scale and environmental concerns? ...
When was the last time that happened? What about the environmental concerns if we keep burning gas? I don't think the "I don't believe it" philosophy is going to hold up very long.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gemsworld wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

What do you think happens to ICE vehicles? Many of them lose 50% or more of their value in three years.

Too bad GM killed the Chevy Volt. It offered the best of both worlds. You could run on electric power for 50 miles, which is more than adequate as a grocery-getter or commuter car, or drive across the country using gasoline without having range anxiety.

there will be depreciation in all vehicles (MOST ALL for collector items, and there will be additional depreciation for old batteries. you are just kidding yourself to think otherwise, unless the potential buyers are so unsophisticated to not care. sort of like when you sell your house, the appraiser will take 15 years etc. off the lifespan of the roof.
bumpy

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bumpyroad wrote:

gemsworld wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

there will be depreciation in all vehicles (MOST ALL for collector items, and there will be additional depreciation for old batteries. you are just kidding yourself to think otherwise, unless the potential buyers are so unsophisticated to not care. sort of like when you sell your house, the appraiser will take 15 years etc. off the lifespan of the roof.
bumpy

Easy solution, buy a Tesla new and sell it back to Tesla who guaranteed a buy back. And Tesla's value retention is 2/3 that of a typical gas car.

And according to a friend who bought a 2nd hand Tesla, he got a brand new battery with an upgraded range.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 28  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Jay Leno predicts demise of vehicles running on gas.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS