Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Jay Leno predicts demise of vehicles running on gas.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Jay Leno predicts demise of vehicles running on gas.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 28  
Prev  |  Next
Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did someone mention electric car depreciation? Lose over a grand a month!

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thomas201 wrote:

Boom, stretch that trend into the future and we got Peak Oil. We should be in dire straits right now, but we are not. In fact the US, which was a has been, will/is the biggest oil producer on earth again.

The problem is not where to find and get more oil, it's the world getting into peak oil consumption which OPEC themselves saying will happen earlier in a decade.

US is already in the downtrend for petroleum consumption since 2018.

China and Northern Europe is going aggressively with alternative energy sources. China, leaf frogged us in the cost of manufacturing solar panels, sadly for us, by reverse engineering our own (rumored Tesla's more advanced technology) and doing so too in their own and a lot cheaper EVs.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wilber1 wrote:

I think Leno is right, petroleum powered vehicles will be relegated to specialty applications, their days of being mainstream are numbered.

The manufacturers of gas powered vehicles have bigger problems.

It's innovate or die for them.

They themselves see a future of less car ownership and the road with more and more autonomous EVs on ride-hailing services.

Young upcoming professionals are now even not bothering to get a driver's license.

So I don't understand why Uber is still losing money. And I'm glad I held off buying their stocks, lol.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

What happens when the power grid goes down from a a emf burst or sun activity? What about battery recycling and production on a massive scale and environmental concerns? ...
When was the last time that happened? What about the environmental concerns if we keep burning gas? I don't think the "I don't believe it" philosophy is going to hold up very long.
How about the last Hurricanes in Florida, Ice storms in Northern US and Canada have caused massive power disruptions. We have had people without power in Kansas without power for a month in bad ice storms. You still didn't answer the second part of the question.

To answer your question March 13 1989 the entire province of Quebec was without power due to solar flare eruption.

According to NASA report from July 13 2017 the (Carrington Event) could cause a global power outage.

I'm not against electric or fuel powered vehicles but would like to make informed decisions.

* This post was last edited 08/11/19 11:10am by colliehauler *   View edit history

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

What about battery recycling and production on a massive scale and environmental concerns?
All this will evolve as the issue grows.

These concerns have never stopped progress. Still no permanent solution to radioactive waste. Have not seen a restoration solution after strip mining coal. Even the coal ash is an issue to get rid of. Current vehicles seem to often rot for decades before they get crushed and recycled or sent to a land fill.

Currently I know of no stockpile of spent lithium EV batteries creating an issue.

All the laptop batteries must be currently going somewhere....

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If someone could develop a car that runs on hot air and bulllshit, this thread has more than enough of both to power as many as they could build lol.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

What about battery recycling and production on a massive scale and environmental concerns?

These concerns have never stopped progress. Still no permanent solution to radioactive waste. Have not seen a restoration solution after strip mining coal. Even the coal ash is an issue to get rid of. Current vehicles seem to often rot for decades before they get crushed and recycled or sent to a land fill.

Currently I know of no stockpile of spent lithium EV batteries creating an issue.

Lithium batteries are 80% recyclable.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

You need to look at the strip (coal) mines in Eastern Kansas restoration area. Unlike the lead mines in southeast KS and Northern OK that were so polluted the only solution for the EPA was to condemn and purchase entire towns.

Big difference between laptop batteries and massive production and disposal on a global scale. Still didn't address the mining issue for the materials to make the batteries.

Nuclear waste is a prime example of what was thought as the ideal clean power as well.

I know that heavy metals are extremely toxic to the human body.

* This post was edited 08/11/19 11:36am by colliehauler *

Trekkar

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

D.E.Bishop wrote:

[image]

Nor do I think he knows any more about the demise of the fossil fueled motor vehicle than I do.

This is neither her nor there but it seems the majority don't agree with you.

I don't know about the "need" but it seems the majority of the people are "buying" more of what these entertainers, athletes and media personalities with their incomes exceeding the doctors and other professions you mentioned.

Yeah, it sure worked when they told us all who to vote for in 2016![emoticon]

2001 RoadTrek 190

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BillyBob Jim wrote:

If someone could develop a car that runs on hot air and bulllshit, this thread has more than enough of both to power as many as they could build lol.
Ever notice that "Hide" button? You don't have to read any of these threads. Try using it rather than just posting derogatory nonsense.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 28  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Jay Leno predicts demise of vehicles running on gas.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS