Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Jay Leno predicts demise of vehicles running on gas.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Jay Leno predicts demise of vehicles running on gas.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 28  
Prev  |  Next
Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lbrjet wrote:

I now live in a condo with a parking garage for all. Would require a majority of the homeowenrs to approve the wiring install. Ain't happening in my lifetime. I work for the State of Arizona and wiring at work ain't happening either.

I hear ya.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lbrjet wrote:

I now live in a condo with a parking garage for all. Would require a majority of the homeowenrs to approve the wiring install. Ain't happening in my lifetime. I work for the State of Arizona and wiring at work ain't happening either.

When the majority of owners see the efficiency and cost of EV the wiring will happen.
Again this debate is not about the ability to have your condo wired for EV. It certainly can be done.
The issue now is more about changing our mindset vs. having the ability to do it.
EV has been in place long enough for us to know that it will be a game changer

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I could see in a large city new condos and apartments having plugs for charging as a selling feature. A lot of motels in the North use to have a plug in for a engine block heater.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

I could see in a large city new condos and apartments having plugs for charging as a selling feature. A lot of motels in the North use to have a plug in for a engine block heater.

Happening half a block away on a new appartment complex being built. Right in their advertising. Each stall provided with EV charging. I think what they probably mean is each parking spot has a receptacle. The renter would provide their own EVSE. Don’t know yet wether it’s 120 or 240 volt. Either way I’m guessing it will be a 20 amp breaker. That would work.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

lbrjet wrote:

When the majority of owners see the efficiency and cost of EV the wiring will happen.
Again this debate is not about the ability to have your condo wired for EV. It certainly can be done.
The issue now is more about changing our mindset vs. having the ability to do it.
EV has been in place long enough for us to know that it will be a game changer

It's already happening in the West Coast. It is so ubiquitous even for us non EV owners.

I believe Jay Leno when he says (that if everyone can overcome the affordability sticker shock and do cost-of-ownership calculations) no one will be buying a gas car anymore.)

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

Happening half a block away on a new appartment complex being built. Right in their advertising. Each stall provided with EV charging. I think what they probably mean is each parking spot has a receptacle. The renter would provide their own EVSE. Don’t know yet wether it’s 120 or 240 volt. Either way I’m guessing it will be a 20 amp breaker. That would work.

Seriously, how much more would it cost to have an EV plug provided as an option to new home, condo or apartment?

Surely, solar panels on home in new development in California is a more difficult sell but it is becoming standard.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lbrjet wrote:

AZ seems to be anti EV, anti wind power, anti solar, anti net metering.
Going to be a while before the old cronies retire.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

Seriously, how much more would it cost to have an EV plug provided as an option to new home, condo or apartment?

Surely, solar panels on home in new development in California is a more difficult sell but it is becoming standard.

Even if you went big, a stove plug is all that one needs in a garage of a new home. New construction my guess would cost 200 bucks ish. I’d have to dig up the receipt but I think our stove plug install in our town house garage was under 400 bucks.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kansas gets 36.4 percent of it's power from wind turbines. Currently number one in the nation percentage wise. Grid capacity is not a issue for chargers. For me a Diesel fits my needs with the range to pull a large camper 900 miles in a day. My commuter is a gas truck for around town and short trips. I could see a electric truck filling those needs but would be reluctant to do so due to the cost.

* This post was edited 08/14/19 08:33pm by colliehauler *

stsmark

Northern CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My local utility PG&E now has a solar only option for .6 cents a KWH extra. My avg. cost per mo is about 3.50 extra. I’m definitely keeping my 20k + in my pocket instead of on my roof.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 28  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Jay Leno predicts demise of vehicles running on gas.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS