Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Jay Leno predicts demise of vehicles running on gas.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Jay Leno predicts demise of vehicles running on gas.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 28  
Prev  |  Next
Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/19 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MNGeeks61 wrote:

*cough* and quick let's get back on topic [emoticon]

I don't see Jay Leno's prediction happening in my lifetime. But I'm thinking he may be right. It will just take a bit longer.

Depends on how long you've already been on social security.[emoticon][emoticon][emoticon]

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/19 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MNGeeks61 wrote:

Good news for those who are thinking of having their RV pulled or carried by Tesla semis.

Tests showed range of up to 600 miles on 75,000lbs load.

That's ideal for my 300 miles by 3pm rule for me.[emoticon]

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

MNGeeks61 wrote:

I don't see Jay Leno's prediction happening in my lifetime. But I'm thinking he may be right. It will just take a bit longer.

Depends on how long you've already been on social security.[emoticon][emoticon][emoticon]

True. I would say any body in their late 60’s to early 70,s will see the the change to a predominance of EV’s. It will happen sooner in Europe and later in North America. Asia will be regional although that will be the case to some degree in North America as well. California, BC and Quebec will see predominancee first. I would think 10 percent of all new sales in these regions will happen in two years. BC is already at close to 8 percent and I think Quebec is as well.

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/19 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

MNGeeks61 wrote:

Good news for those who are thinking of having their RV pulled or carried by Tesla semis.

Wow! How much are they at the local Tesla dealership?

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

MNGeeks61 wrote:

Well, the article I read is a bit ambiguous. From the article:

"According to the driver, the truck is operating at approximately 75,000 lbs and the truck is meeting or exceeding the range estimates."

Now that doesn't actually state the truck is hauling a load of 75,000 lbs., only that the truck is "operating at approximately 75,000 lbs.". So the total truck and trailer could be 75,000 lbs. combined. The article says a load of 75,000 lbs. but where did they get their info, and is it strictly unbiased? This is from a very EV positive site. Maybe a bit of positive spin?

As far as the range, it seems they "will have 300-mile and 500-mile range options for $150,000 and $180,000 respectively." Now it doesn't state which model this one is, and that makes a considerable difference in "meeting or exceeding the range estimates.".

And don't forget: "Last year, Musk said that the Tesla Semi production version will have closer to 600 miles of range." But he also said they'd be in production this year...

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well for very large 5er's that already use a MDT the Tesla semi might just be the ticket. Besides no more idling Diesels in the campground.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/19 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

MNGeeks61 wrote:

The news said, $150,000 for the 300 mile range and $180,000 for the 500-600 miles.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/19 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

MNGeeks61 wrote:

Well, the article I read is a bit ambiguous. From the article:

"According to the driver, the truck is operating at approximately 75,000 lbs and the truck is meeting or exceeding the range estimates."

Now that doesn't actually state the truck is hauling a load of 75,000 lbs., only that the truck is "operating at approximately 75,000 lbs.". So the total truck and trailer could be 75,000 lbs. combined. The article says a load of 75,000 lbs. but where did they get their info, and is it strictly unbiased? This is from a very EV positive site. Maybe a bit of positive spin?

As far as the range, it seems they "will have 300-mile and 500-mile range options for $150,000 and $180,000 respectively." Now it doesn't state which model this one is, and that makes a considerable difference in "meeting or exceeding the range estimates.".

And don't forget: "Last year, Musk said that the Tesla Semi production version will have closer to 600 miles of range." But he also said they'd be in production this year...

True. Tesla timelines at best are a suggestion. But keep in mind there is a history there. The model 3 was a full year late and even then slow to ramp. But they did ramp and now they are close to half a million model threes on the road, building a thousand per day and exporting to a dozen countries. Outside of China they literally dominate the EV industry.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/19 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

Well for very large 5er's that already use a MDT the Tesla semi might just be the ticket. Besides no more idling Diesels in the campground.

We can start salivating right?

I wonder who among the top RV manufacturers will jump ahead to do a rig on this platform.

Is Thor the biggest now?

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/19 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Lynnmor wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

MNGeeks61 wrote:

The news said, $150,000 for the 300 mile range and $180,000 for the 500-600 miles.

Sorry, that's just the semis, not the RV yet.

And I don't think it will reach the dealership. It will be hit by the freight industry for whatever Tesla can make.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 28  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Jay Leno predicts demise of vehicles running on gas.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS