Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Jay Leno predicts demise of vehicles running on gas.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Jay Leno predicts demise of vehicles running on gas.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 28  
Prev  |  Next
Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When the efficiency of EV hits your wallet you'll see the change. Many act as though installing an outlet requires a 2nd mortgage. It's no more costly than installing an outlet for AC or anything else.
When consumers see the efficiency of EV translates into reduce cost you will see change.
I agree inner city street parking will provide the biggest challenge but again it's not insurmountable. Condos and apartments are less of an issue. Designated parking with dedicated outlets is all feasible.
We are debating the will to get these things done not the ability to get it done.
As mentioned above technology can bring change overnight. The internet started relatively slow, many really didn't truly understand what it was all about.
Fast forward to today and the internet is a staple in most homes.
It is about to revolutionize the way we watch TV.
It has changed the way we shop.
While EV may not have the same impact as the internet it will change the way we see the automobile and dramatically alter our travel habits.
WE are think of cars as we now know them. That will all change.
EV will involve into smaller more nimble more efficient shuttle cars that take us on our local travels. We will all have these smaller more efficient vehicles for daily use. Our commute will be done by shuttle car.
Long distance travel may still be done by ICE, but the price of gas will likely increase until it becomes unaffordable for daily use.
This forced efficiency is coming. Climate change and all the buzz words will be part of the makeover. I'm not necessarily a proponent of EV's. I drive a diesel dually daily for my commute, but I see the writing on the wall.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/19 08:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

When the efficiency of EV hits your wallet you'll see the change. Many act as though installing an outlet requires a 2nd mortgage. It's no more costly than installing an outlet for AC or anything else.
When consumers see the efficiency of EV translates into reduce cost you will see change.
I agree inner city street parking will provide the biggest challenge but again it's not insurmountable. Condos and apartments are less of an issue. Designated parking with dedicated outlets is all feasible.
We are debating the will to get these things done not the ability to get it done.
As mentioned above technology can bring change overnight. The internet started relatively slow, many really didn't truly understand what it was all about.
Fast forward to today and the internet is a staple in most homes.
It is about to revolutionize the way we watch TV.
It has changed the way we shop.
While EV may not have the same impact as the internet it will change the way we see the automobile and dramatically alter our travel habits.
WE are think of cars as we now know them. That will all change.
EV will involve into smaller more nimble more efficient shuttle cars that take us on our local travels. We will all have these smaller more efficient vehicles for daily use. Our commute will be done by shuttle car.
Long distance travel may still be done by ICE, but the price of gas will likely increase until it becomes unaffordable for daily use.
This forced efficiency is coming. Climate change and all the buzz words will be part of the makeover. I'm not necessarily a proponent of EV's. I drive a diesel dually daily for my commute, but I see the writing on the wall.

Very good insight!

In fact even the giants in conventional car manufacturing industry are preparing for this new revolution.

lbrjet

Gold Canyon, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/19 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I, along with tens of millions of others are not in a similar situation. So no all of your insight's and photos don't help a bit. I guess you missed my point.

BTW, if I could wire for an EV I probably would. I like the technology.

2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/19 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lbrjet wrote:

I, along with tens of millions of others are not in a similar situation. So no all of your insight's and photos don't help a bit. I guess you missed my point.

Howdy. Curious what “if I could wire for an EV” mean.

Cheers.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/19 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lbrjet wrote:

With any luck your employer might eventually install some charging stations.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/19 08:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Power hungry Tesla Mode X vs the Ike...

Link

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/19 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

lbrjet wrote:

With any luck your employer might eventually install some charging stations.

California tech companies and new facilities-buildings being built now have charging stations.

Even some new Walmart have them.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/13/19 09:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

lbrjet wrote:

Cheers.

I'm taking about my daughter Tesla X, but her house ia already wired for a Tesla EV.

Just did re-wiring for 220-240v for faster charging.

* This post was edited 08/13/19 09:42pm by Yosemite Sam1 *

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/19 09:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

lbrjet wrote:

Cheers.

I'm taking about my daughter Tesla X, but her house ia already wired for an Tesla EV.

Just needs re-wiring for 220-240v for faster charging.

Ah yes. A 240 volt circuit is nice to have. Your daughter will have a 32 amp portable EVSE that came with the car has an adapter to plug into a 14-50 stove plug. Nice for visits and your own eventual EVSE.

Cheers.

lbrjet

Gold Canyon, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/14/19 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I now live in a condo with a parking garage for all. Would require a majority of the homeowenrs to approve the wiring install. Ain't happening in my lifetime. I work for the State of Arizona and wiring at work ain't happening either.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 28  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Jay Leno predicts demise of vehicles running on gas.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.