Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Jay Leno predicts demise of vehicles running on gas.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Jay Leno predicts demise of vehicles running on gas.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 28  
Prev  |  Next
Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/14/19 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

Kansas gets 36.4 percent of it's power from wind turbines. Currently number one in the nation percentage wise. Grid capacity is not a issue for chargers. For me a Diesel fits my needs with the range to pull a large camper 900 miles in a day. My commuter is a gas truck for around town and short trips. I could see a electric truck filling those needs but would be reluctant to do so due to the cost.


I have not decided yet but would look at the new Tesla pick up truck to replace my tow vehicle.

It is supposed to have higher or similar capability as F150 and said to cost less than $50,000.

Am dreaming of not having to stop every 200+ miles and shelling out $100+ each, lol.

stsmark

Northern CA

Senior Member

Joined: 09/09/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/14/19 09:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think to much “Cyberpunk” styling will be huge mistake for Tesla. The Rivien vehicles are the ones that have my interest. I think its going be interesting to see what the real capabilities of current technology in a purpose designed tow/utility vehicle are.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/14/19 10:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stsmark wrote:

I think to much “Cyberpunk” styling will be huge mistake for Tesla. The Rivien vehicles are the ones that have my interest. I think its going be interesting to see what the real capabilities of current technology in a purpose designed tow/utility vehicle are.


Rivian is a Chinese-Nissa partnership. I would trust that more if it's just Nissan producing this EV truck in China based on their manufacturing standards.

Tesla has many prototypes. My son said the truck was a reverse engineering of F150.

And yeah, Jeep and Toyota made a mistake in feminizing their 4WD vehicles and now going back to the beefy looks. Tesla should do the same. Trucks should not be associated with the word "pretty".

* This post was edited 08/14/19 11:10pm by Yosemite Sam1 *

stsmark

Northern CA

Senior Member

Joined: 09/09/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/14/19 11:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rivian is an American Co. Their Fremont is in Normal IL. Amazon and Ford have invested 1.2 billion so far.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 08/15/19 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"feminizing their 4WD vehicles"

Sexism in truck design? Seriously?


Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/15/19 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I get the impression Rivian will be more marketed towards the contracter type and the Tesla maybe more to the truck enthusiast. Both have a market. Tesla has a fairly big following which will work for them initially. Right now Tesla makes over a 1000 cars per day about 500 per day which are sold in the US and 150 per day sold in Canada with the rest spread out over another dozen countries with a lot of pent up demand. Lots of room for growth there. Trucks are more of a North American thing so Rivian will have a smaller but still significant market.

Interesting Factoid. The number of public charge locations just passed number of public gas stations in Britain.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/15/19 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stsmark wrote:

Rivian is an American Co. Their Fremont is in Normal IL. Amazon and Ford have invested 1.2 billion so far.


I stand corrected. Thanks!

Mistook it for a Southern California Chinese EV manufacturer who invited if I'm interested to a post in their organization.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/15/19 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

I get the impression Rivian will be more marketed towards the contracter type and the Tesla maybe more to the truck enthusiast. Both have a market. Tesla has a fairly big following which will work for them initially. Right now Tesla makes over a 1000 cars per day about 500 per day which are sold in the US and 150 per day sold in Canada with the rest spread out over another dozen countries with a lot of pent up demand. Lots of room for growth there. Trucks are more of a North American thing so Rivian will have a smaller but still significant market.

Interesting Factoid. The number of public charge locations just passed number of public gas stations in Britain.


We should welcome it for healthier competition that we the consumers will eventually benefit.

The more the merrier.

Europe may overtake us in proportion of EV cars.

But they are not so into our trucks, lol.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/15/19 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

"feminizing their 4WD vehicles"

Sexism in truck design? Seriously?


Comments is similar with those doing research and reviews on the industry.

This refers to the manufacturers efforts to make the trucks more comfortable but also messed up with the designs of putting curves in lieu of those sharp beefy corners.

Cars actually have "feminine" market nichel. That's why we men won't buy or be caught driving a soccer-mom (another sexism) minivan.

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

Senior Member

Joined: 12/16/2002

View Profile



Posted: 08/15/19 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

I get the impression Rivian will be more marketed towards the contracter type and the Tesla maybe more to the truck enthusiast. Both have a market. Tesla has a fairly big following which will work for them initially. Right now Tesla makes over a 1000 cars per day about 500 per day which are sold in the US and 150 per day sold in Canada with the rest spread out over another dozen countries with a lot of pent up demand. Lots of room for growth there. Trucks are more of a North American thing so Rivian will have a smaller but still significant market.

Interesting Factoid. The number of public charge locations just passed number of public gas stations in Britain.


We should welcome it for healthier competition that we the consumers will eventually benefit.

The more the merrier.

Europe may overtake us in proportion of EV cars.

But they are not so into our trucks, lol.


The US truck market is protected. The Europeans will build EV trucks for other markets.


"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 28  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Jay Leno predicts demise of vehicles running on gas.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.