Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Jay Leno predicts demise of vehicles running on gas.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Jay Leno predicts demise of vehicles running on gas.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 28  
Prev  |  Next
2oldman

New Mexico

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/11/19 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thomas201 wrote:

It has never been about how you get there, it is about making money.
The universal motivation.

ppine

Northern Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/04/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/11/19 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jay Leno knows a lot about cars.
Predicting the future of fossil fuels is not easy. Its use for transportation is an entrenched technology. We need to give people compelling reasons to switch to something else.

Oil is something we have been fighting over for decades. We spend a lot of money to protect our interests. We have a gigantic military compared to the rest of the world. We have been fighting in the Middle East for 19 years over oil. We are saber rattling with the Iranians in the Strait of Hormooz over oil.

Diesel engines will probably be popular even when gas engines are not. We can run diesels on canola oil, algae, cooking oil, **** seed and a lot of other things.

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

Senior Member

Joined: 12/13/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 08/11/19 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

timmac wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

Well if scientists are correct we'll be Borg ( Star Trek reference) in 80 years and have no need to travel, we'll all share a collective memory. Just as valid as any other WAG about the future.


For those that watch CNN and believe their Fake News are already Borgs..

[emoticon]

and then there are those that believe anything an orange monkey says is true. "Believe me" !!


Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS. Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey.

2oldman

New Mexico

Senior Member

Joined: 04/15/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/11/19 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

T18skyguy wrote:

and then there are those that believe anything an orange monkey says is true. "Believe me" !!
"Nobody knew health care could be so hard."

The fake news conspiracy has worked well for him.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/11/19 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thomas201 wrote:

There are about 1 billion cars (not counting trucks) in the world, we made just over 72 million cars in 2016 and there are about 3 million EV's as of 2018. So, if you are going to make an impact you better get EV production up to at least 50 million a year. So you need to get a move on to make much difference. Tesla's production heck is nothing compared the the hurdles you must overcome.

However as a retired petroleum engineer, let me tell you why I like EVs and see the money to be made. First, a few start ups are taking oilfield brine and producing lithium. These fine folks are converting a cost center, into a profit center and the loot will fall through to the bottom line! Who owns the mineral rights? Who are you going to get to drill and produce the wells to get lithium brines? You will use multiple effect evaporators in the US to concentrate the brine, you will buy the gas from us, hopefully right at the well head, save you money and makes us more! All plastics in the cars will come from us, battery case, resins, carbon fibers, synthetic rubber, PVC insulation on the wires, epoxies to encapsulate the electronics, the list goes on and on. Ships, almost all freight railroads, and trucks run on fossil fuels to transport the parts to the assemble plants. Also, natural gas continues to increase market share in utility production, so we will charge the batteries for you. Get on the money train, woo, woo!

It has never been about how you get there, it is about making money.


Optimism and cheering is nice.

But I hope you sold your oil stocks before it hit the recent 52-week low.

Looks like the global investing community is not as bullish and cheerful as you.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/11/19 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with Leno EV will take over. Yes getting the infrastructure in place will take time. Teaching the public a new way of life will also take time but the internal combustion engine is a dinosaur. Too many parts.
Lots of heat loss, just too inefficient.
Technology has caught up to the internal combustion engine, a better mouse trap is here. The heavy lifting for the most part has been done. Now its a matter of logistics and attitude.


2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide


ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

Senior Member

Joined: 03/22/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/11/19 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

T18skyguy wrote:

timmac wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

Well if scientists are correct we'll be Borg ( Star Trek reference) in 80 years and have no need to travel, we'll all share a collective memory. Just as valid as any other WAG about the future.


For those that watch CNN and believe their Fake News are already Borgs..

[emoticon]

and then there are those that believe anything an orange monkey says is true. "Believe me" !!


He has done good by me..... Im in for 2020 ! !


Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet


fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 08/11/19 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

I agree with Leno EV will take over. Yes getting the infrastructure in place will take time. Teaching the public a new way of life will also take time but the internal combustion engine is a dinosaur. Too many parts.
Lots of heat loss, just too inefficient.
Technology has caught up to the internal combustion engine, a better mouse trap is here. The heavy lifting for the most part has been done. Now its a matter of logistics and attitude.
"Too many parts"!!
Have you ever seriously looked at the electronics necessary to keep an EV running? It's not like there's just a battery and a motor.


Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 08/11/19 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Lantley wrote:

I agree with Leno EV will take over. Yes getting the infrastructure in place will take time. Teaching the public a new way of life will also take time but the internal combustion engine is a dinosaur. Too many parts.
Lots of heat loss, just too inefficient.
Technology has caught up to the internal combustion engine, a better mouse trap is here. The heavy lifting for the most part has been done. Now its a matter of logistics and attitude.
"Too many parts"!!
Have you ever seriously looked at the electronics necessary to keep an EV running? It's not like there's just a battery and a motor.


It should have been clarified to "moving parts" as most likely to break and need regular maintenance.

At least listen to actual owners whose cost of maintenance for 3 years are washer fluids.

Turtle n Peeps

California

Senior Member

Joined: 06/23/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 08/11/19 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Have it your way. Lets look at a P100D S model on KBB.

That's a 150K car with all the fees on it. It's one year old and now it's worth 85K. 150K minus 85K= 65 Thousand Dollars!

If you bought this car last year and tried to sell it this year you would lose around 65,000!

65,000 divided by 12= $5,400 a month! So you would lose over, $5,400 A MONTH!

But just think of the gas you save! [emoticon]
Very similar to 2018 BMW 7 Series ALPINA B7 xDrive Sedan 4D

KBB 87k used vs 150k new


That's all well and good EXCEPT Tusk said his car appreciate! He really did! And then doubled down on it!

Losing over 5K a MONTH does not sound like appreciating to me! I kow, I know, he was talking about the future! LMAO Just like the Semi that is going to roll at the end of this year! And FSD at the end of 2017!


~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~


"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 28  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Jay Leno predicts demise of vehicles running on gas.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.