Explorer
The best route thru Chicago, 294 or 94 north

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS
19 REPLIES 19

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
Just went around Chicago via 294 on the fringes of morning rush each way a few weeks ago. Tail end heading to Elkhart Lake on the way around 9:30am and the beginning at 7:30am heading home. Did the 94 downtown route a few years ago. Never again. Limited traffic this trip, basically around O'Hare where there is major construction underway, with lane shifts and no shoulders.
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
We live far enough west of Chicago that hopping on I-43 and I-41 to get to Green Bay makes more sense than taking I-94 to I-43.

But... if you're coming in from Indianapolis or somewhere else that general direction, taking I-74 to I-39 to I-43 will add 110 miles to the drive. At our MPG, that's $36 in extra fuel, which might actually be worth the lack of frustration and lack of tolls. You'll have higher overall speeds so time-wise it might be a wash, and if you're stuck in traffic, you might wind up burning more fuel on the shorter routing. I'd take that bet and head west...

Failing that, I-294 is manageable in non-peak times. There's construction on I-94 between the IL/WI state line and Milwaukee, so that's actually worse than what you'll deal with getting around Chicago.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I gather you mention Chicago on your way to Door County because you are coming up I65 maybe.

I hate to say it. But I294 at your time would be the best. It is a zoo most of the time but moving.

When you get to Milwaukee I think I41 may be faster. Lot more to see on I43 going north.

If you do not have Ezpass get an I-pass before you leave. It is recognized anywhere Ezpass is used. What I like about it is at the most I have $40 in their account if not used. By it once and use it whenever. Including the east coast.

https://www.getipass.com/

In Illinois you get ยฝ off on tolls. Not sure what happens going east.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
I strongly encourage you to pick a route that avoids Chicago by 50-100 miles if you are just going around it

Traffic near and around Chicago is nuts and when one adds in road construction and towing a camper...

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I believe I would go up the thumb, then west! Kinda joking then maybe not. Chicago is a whole lot of crazy.Peak times all roads lead to nowhere. People run the left lane until their exit then block up traffic crossing to the exit, cutting off everyone. Most have pretty fast cars apparently as those that the induce with road rage in can't catch them.

shirleyj62
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I would take I-74 west out of Indianapolis to Bloomington, Illinois. From there take I-39 to Beloit or Janesville or Madison then head to Door County. You avoid the tolls and Chicago traffic.

Chicago tollways have gotten into rush hour mode 7x24. It is best to avoid them if you can.
Shirley, David and Lady

2017 Sunseeker 3010 DS
2010 Toyota Yaris (toad)

WrightOn
Explorer
Explorer
Going through Chicago on 94 on a Sunday morning (non-Bears home game) is quite easy. The other routes take you out of your way. Chicago is just like any other big city...avoid the rush hours.
Out numbered 4:1
2011 F350 PSD 6.7L Dually
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Empty Nest'n with our Rott!

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd take I-80 to Utica IL then north into WI on 39. That will be bad enough without going anywhere near Chicago

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
I-80 - you couldn't pay me enough to drive through Chicago. BTDT

97chevor
Explorer
Explorer
STBRetired wrote:
294 for sure. I am assuming you are coming from the east. 94 would take you through downtown with lots of traffic and construction. There is some construction on 294 but traffic seems to move through it fairly well. Way better than the traffic moves on 94. Get an IPass if you can. It also works as an EZPass. Tolls in Illinois are 1/2 as much if you have the IPass as opposed to paying cash. I'm not sure if an EZPass is given the same discount even though it will work in Illinois. If this is a one shot deal, then just pay the money and forget about the electronic toll device.

That's not true if you have a trailer in tow. But the toll road does offer a discount after 10 pm for those combination vehicles.

Another thing you gotta watch is the toll road has been going to automated toll collectors during off peak hours on the outside areas of the city.

Busdriver
Explorer
Explorer
Also another? Do you save $$ with ez pass the way I am looking at there chart the toll is the same with 4 axle with or with out ez pass?

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
294 it is also safer if you have any problems.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
294 for sure. I am assuming you are coming from the east. 94 would take you through downtown with lots of traffic and construction. There is some construction on 294 but traffic seems to move through it fairly well. Way better than the traffic moves on 94. Get an IPass if you can. It also works as an EZPass. Tolls in Illinois are 1/2 as much if you have the IPass as opposed to paying cash. I'm not sure if an EZPass is given the same discount even though it will work in Illinois. If this is a one shot deal, then just pay the money and forget about the electronic toll device.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
There are few places on earth as infuriating as the Kennedy, especially outbound, at 3 pm.