cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Voltage or Ground

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
The battery boost feature that ties both house battery and chassis batteries together, Has a switch on my panel,When I push that switch does it send voltage to solenoid? or does it make a ground for that solenoid ?
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.
28 REPLIES 28

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
wildmanbaker wrote:
What is going on? Why are we at each others throats? Aren't we trying to help each other, or is Russia changing out posts? LOL.

Because many people can't read a post without injecting what they think you said..

might as well close this thread, already way off the rails.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Are you saying the house circuits are unfused?

no

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
What is going on? Why are we at each others throats? Aren't we trying to help each other, or is Russia changing out posts? LOL.
Wildmanbaker

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
The battery boost feature that ties both house battery and chassis batteries together, Has a switch on my panel,When I push that switch does it send voltage to solenoid? or does it make a ground for that solenoid ?

Locate your battery boost solenoid. If it has a single control terminal, then it is almost certain to require a voltage applied to that terminal to activate. If it has two terminals, then one would be grounded by a wire and the other would be hot.....which one would be switched by the boost switch should be determined with a voltmeter.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm not MOST people but I accept your apology.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
why are you replying to a message directed to Tom/Barb?

rgatijnet1 wrote:
pianotuna wrote:

BTW you may catch more flies with honey, than with vinegar.

Tom/Barb wrote:
I have determined that the re-lay/ solenoid has one large post which is a hot terminal at all times, it is used as a distribution bus of many house circuits.

WTF, I never said that house circuits are unfused. I said that usually the wire switched is the hot wire, which is why he shows no voltage at the small wires of the solenoid. The FUSED WIRE goes to one side of the switch and when the switch is closed the power is fed to the solenoid. If he took a resistance reading of the two small wires one would show an open and the other would show a short to ground. The open wire would have the 12 volts on it when the switch is thrown to boost.

Sorry, like every other post, most people put the POST that they are replying to at the top of their comment.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
why are you replying to a message directed to Tom/Barb?

rgatijnet1 wrote:
pianotuna wrote:

Tom/Barb wrote:
I have determined that the re-lay/ solenoid has one large post which is a hot terminal at all times, it is used as a distribution bus of many house circuits.

WTF, I never said that house circuits are unfused. I said that usually the wire switched is the hot wire, which is why he shows no voltage at the small wires of the solenoid. The FUSED WIRE goes to one side of the switch and when the switch is closed the power is fed to the solenoid. If he took a resistance reading of the two small wires one would show an open and the other would show a short to ground. The open wire would have the 12 volts on it when the switch is thrown to boost.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tom/Barb wrote:
It is the 2 small posts that are my concern. neither is hot with the obvious wires connected.

we have 1 wire that is not marked, it is neither a ground or 12volt hot..
As long as there is no voltage present I assume the 12+ is switched. s/b safe to check continuity to ground.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:

Tom/Barb wrote:

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II

Tom/Barb wrote:
Regards, Don

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Usually with any switch, you are turning the hot voltage wire off and on. If you were switching the ground off and on there is always the risk that something could short out the always hot wire on the solenoid.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It should only be hot at two times:
1) when the engine is running and the chassis battery(ies) are charged. (above 12.2 volts
2) when you push the "aux" start button.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Can check with a voltmeter. If the ground is switched I would expect to find 12+ at the coil continuously.

Possibly visual inspection to see if the coil is connected direct to the frame.

The other large post, is open and connected directly to the chassis battery positive posts.

It is the 2 small posts that are my concern. neither is hot with the obvious wires connected.

we have 1 wire that is not marked, it is neither a ground or 12volt hot..

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
During normal operation, this Solenoid is controlled by the Intelic brain box. Does that brain box provide ground or power to the solenoid to close it.

It's too bad you didn't learn from MrWizard. He has the terminology correct and you still say it wrong. You are one of those that make is difficult for the rest of use that supply correct answers. And no, I'm not hiding behind my keyboard, I'll say it to you face if you want.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson