cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gnats

LuckeyUs
Explorer
Explorer
We spray the toilet & the garbage more than daily. We even sprayed the grounds & underneath the trailer, & still the gnats persist. Is there any way to get rid of them once theyโ€™re inside the house.
14 REPLIES 14

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
LuckeyUs wrote:
We spray the toilet & the garbage more than daily. We even sprayed the grounds & underneath the trailer, & still the gnats persist. Is there any way to get rid of them once theyโ€™re inside the house.

Quit eating ripe monkey pickles....:E

I'm not sure what that is ?

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a problem with them in my house. The only way I have found to get rid of them is get some of those Bug Bombs. You know the type where you set it up, let it spray on it's own, and leave the house with all of your pets for a few hours.

This kills them everywhere. Even in the walls. I have to do it in my old house about twice a year.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Walaby wrote:
I would just like it to work to reduce the GuhNats while eating or gathering outside. Understand there will be an endless supply.. just want the ones hanging around me to have first sip of the vinegar.

Mike

I know a lot of people use a small but strong fan to blow the gnats and mosquitos away.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Walaby wrote:
Wow.. neat trick Dale. I'll have to remember that and give it a shot.

Does it work outside?

Mike

I'm sure it would, but I have never tried it. I must confess, I did an internet search and found this. It fit my criteria of 1) cheap, 2) I had everything I needed.

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

3boxerss
Explorer
Explorer
I use left over pickle or olive juice.Poke a few holes int the lid of a jar with the pointy end of the pop/can opener and put leftover juice in it. sometimes i just set the jar out if the pickles or olives are gone..
2017 Wildwood XLite 201BHXL
2016 Ford F250
Previous Camper 2001 Bantam B19 by Trail Lite

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I use a couple of short, fat used prescription bottles. I put about an ounce and a half of apple cider vinegar in them and about 3 drops Dawn dishwashing liquid. Then I stir them enough to mix the soap in without making bubbles.

I set 2 or 3 of them out without the caps on them. The soap helps to break the surface tension of the vinegar. When fruit flies or gnats try to land on the surface of the vinegar to get a sip they go right under and drown.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
LuckeyUs wrote:

Quit eating ripe monkey pickles....:E
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife uses the vinegar trick too and it works very well. You can also use beer as the attractant in place of the vinegar, works great.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would just like it to work to reduce the GuhNats while eating or gathering outside. Understand there will be an endless supply.. just want the ones hanging around me to have first sip of the vinegar.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Yes,it'll work outside but you'll be dealing with an endless supply of gnats.

My 93yr old aunt sets mouse traps outside thinking she'll catch mice before they get in.

Boband4
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the same. Usually have to change the vinegar after about two days. Seems as though it has to be fresh to work.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow.. neat trick Dale. I'll have to remember that and give it a shot.

Does it work outside?

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Wait until the SPCG hears about that cruelty (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty of Gnats)
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
This is what I do. Simple, cheap, and non toxic.

Take a jar or glass. I used an empty jar and clean it out. Put about a half cup of apple cider vinegar in it. Stretch saran wrap over the mouth of the jar. Use a toothpick to poke holes in the top. They have to be big enough for the gnat to crawl into. Secure with a rubber band. Set it on the counter in the kitchen or wherever the gnats persist. You could do one in the bath, one in the kitchen, etc.

The gnats are drawn to the cider vinegar and will crawl into the jar but won't be able to get out and will drown. Works like a charm. Leave it in place until you don't see any more gnats.

Dale
Dale Pace

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5