Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Adjust brakes with drop axle??
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Adjust brakes with drop axle??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
joebedford

Finally back home in the north

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 08:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never heard of taking the drums off to adjust the brakes. Exactly how do you do it?

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/19 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

Yes, there are some losers for inspection mechanics but it also is not hard to find good ones either.. Just have to weed out the bad ones.

I've been weeding out the bad ones for 57 years without much success. A new trailer, freshly inspected, was delivered to me with one brake never connected at the factory.

I do my own brake service and know what I have, so don't think or insinuate that I am lazy. How would you like to buy a used trailer, then completely service all four wheel assemblies then drive it 6 miles only to have a PA inspection station strip lugs, contaminate the new grease, adjust wheel bearings way too loose, toss your new cotter and install a new one that is so skinny it barely touches the nut? Just one example of the fine work that could kill people done by a highly recommended local shop. This is just one example, I could write a book.

But what is the point of this, we discussed it before and you will never agree.

joebedford

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I should have said that this trailer is only 6 months old. It has about 2500 miles on it. I don't need to have the brakes inspected where I live. I had hoped that the brakes would be OK once they were broken in, but no. So I want to adjust them for the very first time.

Fortunately I have a one ton dually that has plenty of stopping power. Still, trailer brakes are there for a reason.

Rvpapa

Alberta , Can.

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As the ghost reply from yesterday said, try with the tire and rim removed. This will allow you to use a 90 degree bent spoon. Takes a bit longer but is do-able.
When I rebuilt my trailer and doubled up the frame I had to use drop axles to get away from that 'haul on logging roads' clearance look.
Art.

joebedford

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/19 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What I actually did: I bought the brake adjuster spoon and put the trailer way up on jackstands. Couldn't find the adjuster wheel. Took the wheel off. Couldn't find the adjuster wheel. Took the hub off and tried to get the spoon on the wheel while actually looking at the wheel. Couldn't do it.

I pushed the adjuster a few clicks from the hub side and remounted the hub and wheel. It tested OK.

The next wheel, I did the same thing but when I put the hub back on it was way too tight. Backed off the adjustor about half way and it tested OK.

Two more brakes to go.

It's a long job and a real PITA. Guesswork and redo.

Good thing is that I had a chance to see that there's not enough grease in the bearing yet there was a little grease on the drums and magnet. Cleaned that.

Cotter pins were installed upside down so I flipped them.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Adjust brakes with drop axle??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.