cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Upgrading to 35 lb tanks- super quick.

K3WE
Explorer
Explorer
For most new trailers equipped with 25 lb LP tanks on the toungue, can you basically swap them out for 35 lb tanks, or do you need to lengthen the hose and/or lengthen the threaded rod that holds them?

Doesn't seem like rocket surgery to adapt, but curious if you need to adapt anything at all.

Thanks.

(Note: I am sure there are exeptions)
7 REPLIES 7

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
We sprang for aluminum 40 pounders, which weighed about the same full as a steel 30 pounder.
Longer center rod, hard to say about the lp lines, pretty sure I changed the low pressure post regulator line and raised the regulator.
-- Chris Bryant

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Often can be done, just be aware of the extra weight which will be on the tongue..

While heavier tongue is often desirable for best towing ,IF you are one of those folks who are right at your tow vehicle cargo ratings, the extra tongue weight may put you over..

20 lb cylinders when full are somewhere around 38-39 lbs each..

30 lb cylinders when full are going to be somewhere around 58 lbs each..

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
20# cylinder
H----18"
D----12.5"

30# cylinder
H----24"
D----12.5"

40# cylinder
H----29"
D----12.5"
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes direct swap if the hardware, hoses and cover can handle the extra height.
Go right to 40 pound if you like.

The propane fitting and pressure is the same.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure fiberglass cover is tall enough and your pigtails are routed so they don't rub on it. Mine rubbed a hole in one of the lines and began to leak.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

parkmanaa
Explorer
Explorer
First, you are talking about 20 lb (5 gallon) and 30 lb (7 gallon) cylinders. Most of the things you need to make it happen, in addition to the 30 lb. cylinders, themselves:
Make sure there is no clearance problem that hinders installation of the taller cylinders.
Probably longer lines leading from cylinder to regulator. You don't want these lines to be pulled tight.
Longer all-thread center rod to hold them in place while you're traveling.
A fiberglass cover for the taller cylinders.
Otherwise, it is a very simple changeover.

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
20lb to 30lb maybe.