cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

When replacing tow vehicle, do you.....

humblerb
Explorer
Explorer
take out the rails and use on the new vehicle?
Or do you replace on the new vehicle?
I'm in my first Fifth Wheel and 2500 tow vehicle.
Just curious what most people do.
At this point in my life, I'm paying someone else to do the installation.
16 REPLIES 16

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
humblerb wrote:

Seems you have a new RAM 2500. If it does not have the factory pucks, get them installed. Then you can get a hitch that uses them or a picture frame and use your exist hitch. I use the Demco picture frame as I feel it is better than the Reese/Ram one. Chris

X2
One item I was looking for in used TV got it in the 2016 Ram, otherwise I would have done like Chris (AKA Me Again) and bought the kit and installed myself on the truck and not had the rails.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
humblerb wrote:

Seems you have a new RAM 2500. If it does not have the factory pucks, get them installed. Then you can get a hitch that uses them or a picture frame and use your exist hitch. I use the Demco picture frame as I feel it is better than the Reese/Ram one. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
I took my rails out and moved them to my new truck. actually my local RV shop did it but they recommended a new bolt set, which I agreed with.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Reese hitch is presently in it's 3rd truck with the original rails. A dealer moved it to truck #2 without a problem. A hitch dealer moved it to truck #3. Hitch is now 23 years old and still serviceable. I doubt that I will replace the present truck but if I do I would replace the hitch.

belairbrian
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if it's illegal, but I have had dealers say no to a used hitch. When we went from TT to 5er, the dealer wouldn't take the TT hitch. This was a full load leveling system with anti-sway. Ended up selling it used on CL.

Might be more of a lawyer/liability thing.

As far as moving rails, I still have the ones installed in 05, 3 trucks later.
TV 2007 Chevy 2500 Long Box Vortec 8.1/Allison or 2016 Tundra Crew Max 5.7L 4x4
2022 Freedom Express 192RBS
Equalizer 4 way WDH, Prodigy 3 BC
USAF Retired
WAR EAGLE

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think Ford GM and Ram have all offered puck systems since about 2015.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

smithrjd
Explorer
Explorer
I moved my old rails over, but used new bolts and sandblasted and painted the old rails. 5 years now no issues.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If I was a dealer I wouldnโ€™t install used parts. YOU can reinstall whatever you wish.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

My Superglide has been swapped from 3 trucks..... The rails as well. The ONLY things that needed to be replaced was the 2 frame mounts for the pins to fit in, they changed with the frame changes..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Ditto for the puck system. Got the factory hitch prep on my 2012 F350 even though I did have to buy a new hitch to fit it.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
If buying a new truck now I would consider one with the puck system like RAM. Not sure if Chevy or Ford have them or not. Means you need a new hitch and no rails at all.

I like the fact that with the puck system when the hitch is removed everything comes out of the bed leaving it totally flat.

When I switched to my 2013 Chevy I purchased new rails it was cheaper and less hassle then removing them.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Never heard of illegal; but then "dealers is dealers!".

I bought my current truck used and it had rails in it, so I left the rails in the old one when I passed it to my son. He uses a Reese goose-neck adapter on the rails to pull his construction dump trailers.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Illegal to install used rails? I question that one.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
We ordered our current truck in Az and had the dealer change the hitch to this truck.
the story was we had to have new parts as it was illegal for them to installed used rails. True or false it was how it was so new rails happened. But no pins were installed . I sensed something was not right and lifted the hitch up. Good call as it was getting dark. After 3 or 4 winter going south we had a problem and 2 pins that hold the hitch head were missing. 3400 lbs of pin weight was what was holding it from coming off. Then my mind saw the old truck with 6 pins on the bed when we had them install the 4 pins. It was a weird thing how it happened for us to know this as the 2 pins did not show.

So give you truck a good inspection.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110