Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

anti sway bar

noonenosthis1
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all,

We've changed our tow vehicle from an Excursion to an F350, srv, 4x4. We tow a 2017 Keystone Cougar, 32reswe, 35'6", dry weight 7360. We use one anti sway bar, should we add another?

Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
friction bars work just fine, we've been using them for decades
two "looser" bars work better than one "tight" one

unfortunately, they are not as well made as they used to be but then so are lots of consumer goods.
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
I would ditch the sway bar you got and go with a Reese Dual Cam. Much better sway control. The friction bar is what they give you when you buy your first trailer. They are cheap and get you out the door!

It only took 5 replies to reach this point. The friction bars work, but few are ever adjusted correctly so a more expensive hitch is needed to take the operator out of the equation.

Yes they work, but the design is old and there are much better options out there!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Why would you need to add more sway resistance by stepping up to a more capable tow rig?
How does it tow now? How does it tow without sway bar hooked up?
Is there an issue youโ€™re trying to overcome or is there currently no issue with how it tows?
Answers to these questions will answer your question I think.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
I would ditch the sway bar you got and go with a Reese Dual Cam. Much better sway control. The friction bar is what they give you when you buy your first trailer. They are cheap and get you out the door!

It only took 5 replies to reach this point. The friction bars work, but few are ever adjusted correctly so a more expensive hitch is needed to take the operator out of the equation.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
i would give it time to see how it feels. our TT is approx same size as yours. pushing 10k lbs loaded to camp. i have a ford f250. cheapo ez lift wdh with one sway bar. almost a year with this TT and have towed long distances. very little sway even on windy days. feels solid. an extra sway bar is not that expensive though.

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
we have two on our 26 ft trailer
they don't need to be nearly as tight and spreads the load to both sides of the a frame and hitch. overkill probably but very effective
we broke one once, the eye on the truck end broke apart, not while backing too tightly!! still don't know why. we remove them when backing tightly(but maybe I forgot once!)
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
This^^^^
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe the suggestion by the manufacturers is use 2 when the TT is over 30'
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers