cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

using wifi while camping

pigpen1003
Explorer
Explorer
When i'm using my truck's WiFi, how do i keep my trucks batteries charged, will using shore power and the truck hooked up to the trailer keep my trucks batt's charged? my running lights in my truck stay on during operation, so my batt will deplete very fast, also will a batterie charger be needed instead during usage? if nothing else works?
12 REPLIES 12

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Big Katuna wrote:

Iโ€™d stick a battery charger on it and be done.

Way too easy!

Kinda makes you wonder why did he ask..:@

~

pigpen1003
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for their input, i appreciate it

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
The OP does not give any info on his truck or how the truck gets WiFi, so this is based on my experience with my GMC Canyon and getting WiFi service via the built-in OnStar system as of several years ago. GMC may have changed the system since then.

WiFi service is provided by my Canyon when the engine is running. The truck computer automatically shuts down the WiFi service approx. 30 minutes after the engine is stopped and the key is removed from the ignition (to save the battery). To keep the WiFi service running, I can remotely start my truck with the ignition key fob(?) to recharge the battery. The computer will shut down the engine after approx. 15 minutes unless the key is reinserted into the ignition. A battery tender will not keep the computer from shutting down the WiFi service.

It's a real PITA system so I get my WiFi service via my cell phone hotspot that's plugged into the TT wall socket. The only disadvantage is that the truck OnStar system has a greater reach (signal boost) than my cell phone.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
WiFi today or starting the TV tomorrow? Easy choice for me. There is no free lunch.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does that truck have dual batteries? I doubt my truck would flatline the batteries after using WIFI for an hour. After all a small laptop battery will run WIFI for 3 or 4 hours as well as powering the rest of the computer.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
Perfect time for a Deltran battery tender. They come with quick connect ends that can be installed on the battery and then just plug in as needed. I bet even a 1.5A trickle charge would keep up...or bring up the battery after it gets used for a few hours.
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Iโ€™d stick a battery charger on it and be done. If the marker lights are incandescent you could change them to LED and greatly drop the draw.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
This is a VERY good question. My wife will sit in the truck with ACC on for the wifi to post pics and whatever, although I recently installed a Winegard wifi 4G for the trailer. But if I don't buy 4G data from Winegard, she'll sit in the truck for an hour using the truck wifi.
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
If your truck and trailer are wired properly, they should automatically disconnect from one another when you shut off the ignition, thus shore power will NOT charge your truck battery. This is to prevent your being stranded because you can't start the truck after boon docking (i.e., no shore power).

So I agree with @GordonThree: use the truck's wifi very sparingly when the engine is off.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well normally you run the engine to charge the battery. Why do you need that much WIFI anyway? If nothing else you could use a battery charger. Frankly this is a new question that I've never seen here before...heh.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check the truck battery voltage. 12.6 is charged. 13.2+ is charging from the trailer. 12.5 or less is discharging.

OK to post the truck make and model. Ford has an isolation relay, some others do not.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Use the WiFi very sparingly.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed