cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to RVing.....please help

Underoath1842
Explorer
Explorer
I just got a coachmen apex 31' and have been reading all the manuals and watching a ton of videos. And so I went there to where its stored and checked all the inventory that it had. Now there were a few things I had no idea what they were....I was hoping someone on here could help me. Also, I've heard its imperative to get a surge protector for electric hookup, is that true? Here are some pictures of what I'm not sure of. Any help is much appreciated thank you.

Ps I'm adding in all the photos I took just in case you noticed something I didnt.***Link Removed***
43 REPLIES 43

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
Underoath1842 wrote:
I just got a coachmen apex 31' and have been reading all the manuals and watching a ton of videos. And so I went there to where its stored and checked all the inventory that it had. Now there were a few things I had no idea what they were....I was hoping someone on here could help me. Also, I've heard its imperative to get a surge protector for electric hookup, is that true? Here are some pictures of what I'm not sure of. Any help is much appreciated thank you.

Ps I'm adding in all the photos I took just in case you noticed something I didnt.***Link Removed***

Several years ago I was camping and a friend was in the next spot.
Lightening hit the huge Pine tree between us. It came down and run in on his electrical system. Fried it.
I had a surge protector. My camper suffered no damage.
I'm a believer.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Do not buy the bottom of the line surge device.

You want the top of the line which will prevent open neutral from connecting among other things,

If the power cord has four prongs it is 50 amp; if only 3 then 30 amp.

If you are a 30 amp RV then it is quite possible to manage without such a device, provided you are willing to manually check the outlet before you plug in.

Underoath1842 wrote:
Would this be an okay one for us? Also do I need 30 or 50 amp? Sorry if these sound like stupid questions. I have been reading other posts but didnt see anything about this.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

troubledwaters
Explorer
Explorer
Underoath1842 wrote:
Before I order...which I need to do soon....is this what you're talking about?

You don't want this if your TT is 30 amp. If your TT is 30 amp you want a 50 amp male to 30 amp female.

Underoath1842
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Mark. Thanks everyone.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
MarkTwain wrote:
Underoath1842 wrote:
Last question. What's a dog tail? Lol and thanks for the rest of the advice

It is a little electrical cord 2' long that has a 50 amp connector on 1 end and 30amp on the other end. you can also buy a dog tail that is 30 amp on one end and 15 on the other end if you need to plug you trailer in when you have it home. 1st look to seek the size of your trailer/RV electrical cord. The 50 amp cord is bigger than the 30amp. If your trailer was has a 50amp, and you get into an RV park that only offers a 30 amp connection, then that is when you connect your dog tail. Just go to Amazon or Camping world to buy the dog tail. They are not real expensive.

fixed it.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Underoath1842 wrote:
Oh one more important question....my AC is 15,000 btu, I'm wondering what the cheapest most reliable quiet generator rd would work for that?

Harbor Freight 3500 watt with electric start. Do get the extended warranty.

or

Champion 3400 watt with remote electric start.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Underoath1842
Explorer
Explorer
Before I order...which I need to do soon....is this what you're talking about?

Underoath1842
Explorer
Explorer
I see them being called "dogbone"...same thing?

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Underoath1842 wrote:
Would this be an okay one for us? Also do I need 30 or 50 amp? Sorry if these sound like stupid questions. I have been reading other posts but didnt see anything about this.

Look at your main breaker. If it’s 30A, then get a 30A. Same with 50A.
That’s the minimum of surge protection. I would go with a Progressive Industries surge protector.
Also good to have are a 30 to 50 amp dogbone and a 30 to 15 amp dogbone if your camper is 30A. If it’s 50A, then get dogbones made for that size. These allow you to plug into various outlets.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Underoath1842 wrote:

It is a little electrical cord 2' long that has a 50 amp connector on 1 end and 30amp on the other end. you can also buy a dog tail that is 30 amp on one end and 110 on the other end if you need to plug you trailer in when you have it home. 1st look to seek the size of your trailer/RV electrical cord. The 50 amp cord is bigger than the 30amp. If your trailer was has a 50amp, and you get into an RV park that only offers a 30 amp connection, then that is when you connect your dog tail. Just go to Amazon or Camping world to buy the dog tail. They are not real expensive.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Underoath1842 wrote:
The generator would be mostly used for when out on the land with no one around, so I guess its loudness wouldnt really matter. Thanks again everyone.

Well then I suggest looking at Champion inverter 3500 watt gens, a lot cheaper than Honda or Yamaha and work well.

i have this generator and i runs my 15k btu ac.. mine is gas/propane model. i don't run anyother heavy power users like microwave while ac is running

Underoath1842
Explorer
Explorer

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Underoath1842 wrote:
Would this be an okay one for us? Also do I need 30 or 50 amp? Sorry if these sound like stupid questions. I have been reading other posts but didn't see anything about this.

Get 50 amp with a dog tail to let you reduce down to 30 amp if you need to. Most RV parks are set up for 50 amp. With 50 amp you don't have to worry about how many appliances you can use at the same time without blowing your circuits, especially if you are running 2 air conditioners at the same time.
Buy a " Progressive surge protector 50 amp", cost a little more but you get much more protection. The Camping World surge protectors are cheaper but don't give you much electrical protection compared to the "progressive" surge protector.

Underoath1842
Explorer
Explorer