cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major Road Closure in Indianapolis—UPDATE

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Update: all roads are open right now. More closures after Labor Day.

If you plan to travel through Indy in the next month or so, you need to be aware of road closures. I465 on the SE side between I65 and I70 will be closed until about 8/24. This includes the I74 interchange. After Labor Day, 465 will be closed between 65 and 70 on the southwest side.

This is a big deal even if you don’t plan to use 465. Traffic through the city from east to west, and south to north is being forced onto other roads by this closure. Since 65 and 70 share a common route through downtown, this section will be heavy.

I was through town on Saturday and Sunday afternoon, and both days I saw bumper to bumper traffic trying to get from 65NB to 75EB. I expect rush hour will be a treat!

If you can avoid Indy, do so.

Pain to do these full closures, but better than 3 months of one lane hell.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73
8 REPLIES 8

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Update. See first post
John & Kathy
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
down home wrote:
I got sidetracked. Usually going north we use I65 anyway. At the Elizabethtown, exit to new I69 alignment to 75 still puts us below Cincinnati?
I71 to I75 how is that road? And where does it intersect I75?
Now if we could miss Louie-ville, where that I69 section is now much better.
So at Elizabethtown is it possible to go east a good route and miss Cincinnati?

I69 is nowhere around Louisville. Comes into Indiana at Evansville, goes to Martinsville. Gap in the road and then picks up on the NE side of Indy and on through Fort Wayne.
John & Kathy
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I got sidetracked. Usually going north we use I65 anyway. At the Elizabethtown, exit to new I69 alignment to 75 still puts us below Cincinnati?
I71 to I75 how is that road? And where does it intersect I75?
Now if we could miss Louie-ville, where that I69 section is now much better.
So at Elizabethtown is it possible to go east a good route and miss Cincinnati?

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
smarty wrote:
Many thanks for this headsup. Heading thru Indy in two weeks on way to Hartford

Theoretically it will all be open at that time. But check first.
John & Kathy
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
Many thanks for this headsup. Heading thru Indy in two weeks on way to Hartford

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
down home wrote:
The new I69 routing Interstate type roads not complete yet, from I24 east will that take you above Cincinnati before intersecting I75, and if it won't where does the new I69 routing take you; above Indy Perhaps?
I have n idea as to mileage either. AT Cincinnati I75 was completely torn up for miles this June. Took over an hour to get clear of the mess.
So I'm thinking of I24 north intersect the Pennyrile Parkway, at the Ft Campbell exit, the new I69 routing, and east to I75 if we can miss Cincinnati. Once clear of that mess.

69 takes you to Indy right into the mess. If I was heading that direction I’d consider taking the WK to I65 then around Louisville to I71 up to I75 in Ohio.
John & Kathy
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
The new I69 routing Interstate type roads not complete yet, from I24 east will that take you above Cincinnati before intersecting I75, and if it won't where does the new I69 routing take you; above Indy Perhaps?
I have n idea as to mileage either. AT Cincinnati I75 was completely torn up for miles this June. Took over an hour to get clear of the mess.
So I'm thinking of I24 north intersect the Pennyrile Parkway, at the Ft Campbell exit, the new I69 routing, and east to I75 if we can miss Cincinnati. Once clear of that mess.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
TY. I will avoid Indy.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad