cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

snowbirding

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking of going south for a month this coming Feb. This would be our first time other than just passing through.We are looking for recommendations for a park but not the resort type. The following states are where we are thinking. Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and possibly the Florida panhandle. Also if near water the wife is concerned about our dog near alligators. Has anyone experienced any problem with them. I've tried reassuring her there wouldn't be as he'd be on a leash but of course I'm not speaking from experience
15 REPLIES 15

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the suggestions. We decided today to go back to Sedona Az area as we haven't been there since 15. We miss all the hiking in the Red Rock country Will be staying at Distant Drums in Camp Verde

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We spend about 3 months in Florida each winter moving around the state with 1-2 week stays in state and national parks. This winter we're staying north of I-4 due to several social commitments, but other years we've gone as far south as the NPS' Midway Campground on the Tamiami Trail in the Big Cypress National Preserve. We typically average about $25/night and make reservations up to 11 months in advance for the best park/site selections.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
jplante4 wrote:
We enjoyed parks in the panhandle as well. There's a different feel in that part of Florida. We really didn't enjoy the W.Palm area at all. You spend most of the time waiting for the left turn signal. Sarasota was nice, but once again way too crowded.

FL parks have gotten a lot more crowded than when we did our Gulf Coast trip in 2015-2016. In general, the further south of I-4 you get, the more expensive it is and the less available the sites are.

In the panhandle- HoHum in Carabelle, Topsail Hill SP in Santa Rosa Beach. In MS, Buccaneer SP in Waveland.

I spent several winters at Buccaneer. They have monthly rates during the off season. There is a regular group of snowbirders that meet there every year. Never saw a gator. I think your concern is warranted but not during the winter.

Magnolia Branch Wildlife Reserve near Atmore, AL has been another regular stop for me.
Larry

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
...In the panhandle- HoHum in Carabelle, Topsail Hill SP in Santa Rosa Beach. In MS, Buccaneer SP in Waveland.

+1 for HoHum. Super nice folks- staff + campers.

We also stayed at St George Is SP. Isolated and QUIET. Bit of a drive to anywhere from there tho.

Now you are all gonna laugh at me for this, but I have stayed in 5* hotels all over Europe and I've never seen nicer bathrooms than at Coastline RV Resort(the higher priced CG, not their regular CG). Trust me, its worth the price of an overnight stay to see those bathrooms. I took dozens of pictures (yes, it was empty!) so I can build me a bathroom like that in my next house.

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
Anything south of I-4 in the winter is expensive as well as crowded during the winter. Your chances of getting a site now are better in the Pan Handle than south of I-4. Everyone wants warmer weather and as a result you pay for it in price and waiting in traffic. I have lived in Fl since 1983 and as soon as my wife retires Iโ€™m heading north to avoid winter crowds and unbearable summers. Pan Handle is beautiful. The temps can be a little chilly but still better the -10 up north.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Reserve now. Lots of nice state parks, Army Corps of Engineers and other public campgrounds scattered through those states but anything near the coast and far south will be in high demand. I don't worry about wildlife as there are far more likely dangers; such as traffic, etc. Just keep away from the edge of the water; especially after dark. There's probably 2 or 3 incidents a year involving alligators.
Jayco-noslide

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoyed parks in the panhandle as well. There's a different feel in that part of Florida. We really didn't enjoy the W.Palm area at all. You spend most of the time waiting for the left turn signal. Sarasota was nice, but once again way too crowded.

FL parks have gotten a lot more crowded than when we did our Gulf Coast trip in 2015-2016. In general, the further south of I-4 you get, the more expensive it is and the less available the sites are.

In the panhandle- HoHum in Carabelle, Topsail Hill SP in Santa Rosa Beach. In MS, Buccaneer SP in Waveland.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
hornet28 wrote:
No way would we be going into Florida other than the panhandle

Why not? We're planning on snowbirding in Florida this coming winter. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on why Florida is bad?

Personal preference.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We've spent several winters in Florida, Alabama and Louisana if you have any sense it's easy to avoid gators. It's the snakes you be careful of.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
hornet28 wrote:

Why not? We're planning on snowbirding in Florida this coming winter. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on why Florida is bad?
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
You do understand that it can be cold there too? Maybe not Muskegon cold but 30's or so. To get to actual warm/hot weather you need to be below Tampa. Granted, Feb. is close to being spring in those parts. Here in East TN I am mowing my lawn in March so you may luck out depending on mother nature and be blest with warm enough weather to enjoy yourselves.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I don't recall where in Florida this happened but about a year ago, there was a story of a woman walking her dog on a walkway near a pond and a gator grabbed the dog and pulled it in the water. The woman tried to save the dog and was pulled into the water too. Both the woman and dog died from being bitten and pulled under. Not an every day event obviously but sometimes crazy stuff happens.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want to be near Mobile AL then in Theodore a very good park is "All About Relaxing". Great hosts and owners. Much to do in the area on the island and the battleship visits. All About Relaxing
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi