cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

need a trailer that is low to the ground

Sportsmen
Explorer
Explorer
My wife is having serious problems with steps do to arthritis in her knee. The trailer that we have now requires 4 steps to get into the trailer and is causing her problems. I am interested in knowing if anyone can recommend a TT that has maybe only one or two steps to enter the trailer.

Thanks in advance !
2016 Jayco Jay Flight 27BHS 6210 empty, 8200 GVW
2016 F250 CC 6.2L(gas) 3:73 diff (3157lb. payload)
21 REPLIES 21

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago Micro Minnies. Some have only one step outside. Possibly one inside, or none.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Design a ramp with rails.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
My 27-foot 2006 Jayco JayFeather rides low and is easy to get in-and-out of. Even so, I've never scraped anything, and the waste discharge pipe is just ahead of the axles, so I've never had problems hitting anything.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
My wife fixed the problem, she replaced the knee.
I did the same. Awesome fix!!!
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

kodiakcanuck
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the lowest trailers I have seen out there are the mid-2000's Jayco Jay Feathers. i.e: https://www.arrowheadcampers.com/inventory/1361/mayfield-kentucky-traveltrai-jayco-jay-feather-lgt-2...
2011 Kodiak 240KSSL
Husky Center Line WDH
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman 3:92,8-speed,5.7L HEMI
2007 Kodiak 214 HTT (prior)
2010 Dodge RAM 1500 4x4, 3:55, 5.7L (prior)

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
My wife fixed the problem, she replaced the knee.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
One word- AIRSTREAM.

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
they are getting higher and higher it seems.
we have a kx spree 260, its quite low, just two steps.
my wife has similar issues with steps, so we are staying with trailers that are low.
as already stated, low trailers become a problem with ground clearance, particularly rear "departure" angles especially if the sewer connections are low and far back on the trailer
our first trailer was a 19ft with one step and we had to back into our driveway at an angle to clear the sewer pipes. we also "grounded out" leaving a small ferry with a steep ramp a couple of times. I had two huge casters welded to the frame just behind the bumper two prevent that happening again!

smaller and older trailers are generally lower, but watch for the sewer connections and stab jacks. if needed both can be moved closer to the axles, sewer pipes are usually easy to move, stab jacks may need to be ground off and rewelded

high trailers with leaf springs can be lowered, either with blocks between the axles and springs, relocating the axles above the spring if possible etc etc
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can she walk up a ramp?

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
trailer in my sig has 1 step.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

NWnative
Explorer
Explorer
Airstream's are low to the ground....
2019 Ford F250 Lariat CrewCab Short Bed 4x4 - 6.2 Gas w/4.30 Axle
2016 Airstream Flying Cloud 30RB / Blue Ox Sway Pro / Rock Tamers
2021 Mazda CX-9 Signature AWD

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just sold a small hybrid trailer that had one easy step.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Consider an RV stair lift. Can get a standing platform, seat, or entire wheelchair.

http://www.discovermymobility.com/store/scooter-lifts/burr/handy-lift/index.html
Many others... shop around.

At least you save the cost of trading the RV for a low boy.

Honestly. This would probably be your best bet. Having a TT that sits close to the ground makes for a bad towing experience. Why? you may ask.
Because they drag. Every time you start up an incline. The rear drags, turn into a gas station up a slight hill it drags. Mine set low, and drug nearly every trip. So much so, that I had the spring mounts moved to the top of the axles to keep it off the ground.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Consider an RV stair lift. Can get a standing platform, seat, or entire wheelchair.

http://www.discovermymobility.com/store/scooter-lifts/burr/handy-lift/index.html
Many others... shop around.

At least you save the cost of trading the RV for a low boy.