cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are RV weigh stations - Houston ?

bsheet2
Explorer
Explorer
I am a complete novias. Just bought a 2017 Thor Challenger 37YT. Been reading about weighing the MH to set correct tire pressures. Have not been able to locate a place that can determine the weight on each of the 4 wheel quadrants. Been out to the Loves stations that use the CAT Scales. They can get front and back axel weights but can't get side to side.

Anyone know a place in Houston (preferably NW quadrant) that can weigh a motorhome the correct way?? Any of the RV dealers have scales??
10 REPLIES 10

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
bsheet2 wrote:
tropical36 wrote:

I for one, only weigh each axle and then add 10 -15 psi over the inflation tables for taking care of all the variables.
Also use the truck stations along the interstate and have even been know to stay overnight is some instances. After all they're free and the personnel are always friendly and glad to do it.
Last time, was in June along I95 in CT, whereas the one official wanted to know all about Motorhomes and showed us the best spot for parking. This made it all too convenient, by getting off of a crowded highway, during rush hour and for making an early arrival at our CG in RI, the next morning.

Good way to go about it I am sure.

I had seen some info about my particular model MH that one side may be a good bit heavier than the other. Based on my weight data today it looks like that is true. If I fill my potable water tank full There is almost a 1000 pound heavier load on my right rear wheel than on the left rear wheel. The front wheels are loaded about the same. My fear was just adding a fudge factor might not be enough. Glad I got the 4 quadrant weights. I likely will travel with 50% potable water to lighten the right side some. And put heavier stored items on the left side. Balance things out a bit more.

Having that kind of difference has to be rare, or I would think so.
Whatever the case, the tires on each axle should be inflated the same and for reflecting that imbalance.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

bsheet2
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:

I for one, only weigh each axle and then add 10 -15 psi over the inflation tables for taking care of all the variables.
Also use the truck stations along the interstate and have even been know to stay overnight is some instances. After all they're free and the personnel are always friendly and glad to do it.
Last time, was in June along I95 in CT, whereas the one official wanted to know all about Motorhomes and showed us the best spot for parking. This made it all too convenient, by getting off of a crowded highway, during rush hour and for making an early arrival at our CG in RI, the next morning.

Good way to go about it I am sure.

I had seen some info about my particular model MH that one side may be a good bit heavier than the other. Based on my weight data today it looks like that is true. If I fill my potable water tank full There is almost a 1000 pound heavier load on my right rear wheel than on the left rear wheel. The front wheels are loaded about the same. My fear was just adding a fudge factor might not be enough. Glad I got the 4 quadrant weights. I likely will travel with 50% potable water to lighten the right side some. And put heavier stored items on the left side. Balance things out a bit more.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
bsheet2 wrote:
I am a complete novias. Just bought a 2017 Thor Challenger 37YT. Been reading about weighing the MH to set correct tire pressures. Have not been able to locate a place that can determine the weight on each of the 4 wheel quadrants. Been out to the Loves stations that use the CAT Scales. They can get front and back axel weights but can't get side to side.

Anyone know a place in Houston (preferably NW quadrant) that can weigh a motorhome the correct way?? Any of the RV dealers have scales??

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

bsheet2
Explorer
Explorer
Success! Was able to weigh my MH today at the Flying J near Hempstead, Texas just off HYW 290. Was able to get the 4 quadrent weights. First weigh which give total and seperate weights for front and rear axals. Then reweigh ($2 more) by putting only the left side of the MH on the scales. This gave wheel weight for left side front and back. Then calculated the right side wheel weights by subtracting the left side wheel(s) from their axel weight.

Looks like I should use about 90 psi in all tires. And the right rear wheel wheel(s) can have almost 1000 lbs more weight on it than the left. Will probably only carry about 40 or 50 gallons of potable water when traveling to even things up a bit. The potable water tank is on the right side.

Thanks!

bsheet2
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
You might try A-1 Scales as I remember you can get all 4 corners there,lots of room to do it.

Thanks! I will try Flying J first. If that doesn't pan out will give A1 Scales a call.

bsheet2
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. I spoke with the Flying J at Hempstead. They said we should be able to get all 4 corners. They have a CAT scale.

I had checked at the Loves going west on Hwy 290. The concrete around the CAT Scale is not level with the scale itself. So you cant get just one side of the RV onto the scale.

The Flying J at Hempstead advised the surrounding concrete is level with their scale so they should be able to weight once and get total weight plus front and back axel weights. Then pull the RV on with only one side on the scale to get wheel weights on one side. THen just calculate the weights for the remaing wheels.

I will give this a try.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might try A-1 Scales as I remember you can get all 4 corners there,lots of room to do it.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought new tires at a truck RV tire shop, they Weighed all four corners.
Jerry Parr
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
Try cat scale locator near Houston. It shows 3 places

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
separate axle weights will do for now. maybe someone will know of a place. you might look for a scale at a moving company or materials yard but those likely won't be set up for 4-corner weight. you'd have to be able to maneuver on and off the scale to get those weights.

in the meantime check these links.

https://weightogollc.com/contact-us

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/how-to-find-a-4-corner-weigh-station-338055.html
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle