cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Want an electric truck?

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Interesting video about towing with a Tesla. Sure, a TC would be different, but the video shows how much power loss and how far off the range is while towing.

Seems like the range concerns that some of us have for a Truck Camper are valid. At least, I think Tesla is pretty much state of the science right now. They had issues with doing a 65 mile loop followed by a 65 mile towing loop.

The Fast Lane Car Tesla X towing.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member
38 REPLIES 38

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
westernrvparkowner wrote:
For me, an electric truck would have to preform nearly equal to my GMC 2500. I could sacrifice 20% in range, provided I could refuel completely in no more than triple the time I can refuel a gas truck. I coulg justify a price premium. But I couldn't accept any decrease in payload and towing capacities. And those range requirements have to be met under the most adverse condItions relating to loads and weather.

I think the adverse weather (eg real cold weather) would probably make it not work for you. Everything else would probably doable. Cold weather affects EVโ€™s, cold weather affects EVโ€™s towing even more. You might be running your GMC 2500 for awhile yet.

Petrol vehicles will have a role to play for a decade or two yet. Your situation is one of them yet.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
For me, an electric truck would have to preform nearly equal to my GMC 2500. I could sacrifice 20% in range, provided I could refuel completely in no more than triple the time I can refuel a gas truck. I coulg justify a price premium. But I couldn't accept any decrease in payload and towing capacities. And those range requirements have to be met under the most adverse condItions relating to loads and weather.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
DWeikert wrote:
Why would you need a fast charge at home?

Well God forbid you have to leave your home more than once per day. Maybe I want to head in one direction in the morning, then the other direction in the afternoon. I'm not going to be happy if I have to wait until tomorrow to run that second errand.

Or, maybe there's an EMERGENCY? Need to take a sick kid to urgent care... Nope, sorry, car's dead, gotta wait until tomorrow morning... or call an ambulance, or beg a neighbor with a gas car, or call an uber. Maybe making them suffer will toughen them up.
So you drove the thing 250+ miles in the morning and you get home near empty and start normal charging at 25 MPH....

How far is urgent care anyway? Yes some people may have 40+ miles to the grocery store and maybe same to the hospital. But really what is it?

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Yโ€™all can beat this to death again if you want. The treehuggers say itโ€™s THE answer. The rednecks say itโ€™s garbage.
Bottom line, no, itโ€™s not THE answer yet. But itโ€™s AN answer. Commuter vehicles, short trips, great, for now.
Hooking and booking with some real weight, uphill into the wind, out in the country, EVs are not up to that task yet or even close. Thereโ€™s not even any infrastructure to support it.
So keep arguing, but you all know the answer and refuse to acknowledge the other side of the coin.

This is it in a nut shell. Someday they may be awesome and I will want one. But thats not today. They don't build any electric vehicle today that I find useful for me, except a golf cart or a fork lift. Even those 2 I would rather have gas and propane for the second.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
mkirsch wrote:
DWeikert wrote:

Well God forbid you have to leave your home more than once per day. Maybe I want to head in one direction in the morning, then the other direction in the afternoon. I'm not going to be happy if I have to wait until tomorrow to run that second errand.

Or, maybe there's an EMERGENCY? Need to take a sick kid to urgent care... Nope, sorry, car's dead, gotta wait until tomorrow morning... or call an ambulance, or beg a neighbor with a gas car, or call an uber. Maybe making them suffer will toughen them up.

Iโ€™m not following. On the off chance you came home in a gas car and wanted to go out that afternoon the other direction would have to gas it up before you went home. Do the same thing with the EV. Weโ€™ve been in that situation a couple times. Pop into a fast charger for 15 minutes before you go home. Put half a charge on it. Then when you get home youโ€™ll still have half a charge for emergencies.

Itโ€™s not that hard living with an EV. Home fueling makes it considerably more convenient than gas diesel or propane or hydrogen. And the fuel is a heck of a lot cheaper.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
DWeikert wrote:

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:
I don't remember the exact numbers, but fast chargers do draw about 5 kW.
Not too many houses have wiring for that and you will need fast charger for heavy vehicles.
On positive side, I hear that charging times batteries take are shorter and shorter.

Why would you need a fast charge at home? Most people will plug in the vehicle when they get home and let it charge overnight while they sleep. Fast chargers are only needed for people that want to charge mid trip.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Commercial fast chargers are more like 25kW to 200+kW. Most common is 25 to 75 but the newest are at the top and going up. Compare to Tesla's largest battery at 100 kWh.

Most normal home charging is about 30 amps at 240v for 7kW. About the same as an electric oven. Most new homes are wired with 200 amp service and could support close to 25kW charging but it is generally pointless for overnight charging. Even 80 or 100 amp service can easily support EV charging as the vehicles will charge slower if power is restricted. Even a 20 amp 240v circuit would be more than enough except for maybe an extreme commuter. I recently installed a 30 amp circuit in a rental house with just 100 amp main panel and easily provides 24 amps to the vehicle.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't remember the exact numbers, but fast chargers do draw about 5 kW.
Not too many houses have wiring for that and you will need fast charger for heavy vehicles.
On positive side, I hear that charging times batteries take are shorter and shorter.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Kayteg1 wrote:
Bedlam wrote:
No idea how much longer Tesla will tease buyers before it actually becomes available:

I was observing Tesla when they start advertising their first roadster 15 or 20 years ago.
Took them like 10 years to actually put them on the street (with heavy taxpayers contributions) and when I first saw the roadster on the street, my first question was "where is the remote for this toy?"
The roadster never become popular, even paper numbers would say it can beat most of the Ferrari in street racing.
Every few months I drive via Area 51 on Nevada desert. The 8 Tesla charging stations in Tonopah never have a customer, although I've seen couple of Teslas on the highway there. Gas stations often have waiting line.
So I am not holding my breath for Tesla pickup.
But on the other hand- I visited commercial vans service station in San Diego last month. They had 3 big delivery vans powered by batteries.
By Ford.

There will never be as much demand for DC fast chargers as gas stations as the vast majority of charging is done at home. We are seeing more and more Petrocans with fast chargers though. We have used them from time to time.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
No idea how much longer Tesla will tease buyers before it actually becomes available:

I was observing Tesla when they start advertising their first roadster 15 or 20 years ago.
Took them like 10 years to actually put them on the street (with heavy taxpayers contributions) and when I first saw the roadster on the street, my first question was "where is the remote for this toy?"
The roadster never become popular, even paper numbers would say it can beat most of the Ferrari in street racing.
Every few months I drive via Area 51 on Nevada desert. The 8 Tesla charging stations in Tonopah never have a customer, although I've seen couple of Teslas on the highway there. Gas stations often have waiting line.
So I am not holding my breath for Tesla pickup.
But on the other hand- I visited commercial vans service station in San Diego last month. They had 3 big delivery vans powered by batteries.
By Ford.
Couldn't refuse to take a picture of "engine compartment"

Click For Full-Size Image.

Bedlam
You will finally get an idea what the Tesla pickup will look like after two years of teasing. No idea how much longer Tesla will tease buyers before it actually becomes available:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/teslas-mystery-pickup-electric-cybertruck-unveiled-on-november-21-says...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Answer to the OPโ€™s question: NO!

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
I would like to see a hybrid RV with large battery pack. A driver selected switch would allow:

Performance mode where the internal combustion engine and battery powered motor would work together

Economy mode where the battery pack is the primary power source until it is expended

Boon dock mode where the internal combustion engine is powering the vehicle and charging the batteries

VIA motors was on the right track with this,wonder why GM cant do it

https://youtu.be/4XHbQLfgI6g