cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick Connect for Extra Batteries in truck bed?

TCBob
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for recommendations for power connections for extra batteries in my truck bed?

I have carried 2 extra batteries in bed of truck for years now to power my inverter for 110 AC power for my CPAP. Have just run cables out thru one of the "basement" side hatches to connect. While this works, it is way past time to replace this "make shift" solution. I really like the absolute separation from the "house" system batteries, so neither system can drain the other by mistake.

I am thinking of something like the twist locks often used on marine shore power systems, but think there must be something made for 12 volt systems other than the classic cigarette lighter style plug/socket set. The ones I have seen so far just don't seem like they would take the load.

Also know i have seen threads about adding extra batteries in truck bed, but I am not coming up with the right search terms to find them. Suggestions both for plug in connections and search terms for thread or links?

Thanks.
2004 S&S 8.5 SC Ponderosa
1999 Ford F-350 4X4 7.3-PSD DRW
14 REPLIES 14

Bedlam
I also used the Anderson connectors between truck, camper and enclosed trailer. A hammer crimp tool works well for these large gauge contacts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKHSPVGHzNI

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
I used scrap wood to isolate the metal prongs from the metal vice. The vice was a giant heat sink that make it take a lot longer to heat up the prong. The wood isolated the cold vice from the prong and worked nicely

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Anderson plugs are used commercially in electric forklifts and they pass the field tests all the time, so hard to beat the design.
Few tips how to deal with cables as the big crimping tool is not easy to get.
I did solder some heavy cable using propane torch from plumbing jobs.
Remove the metal prong from the plastic, put it in the vise, or vise grip with hole facing the sky, put some cut solder inside with flux and then warm up with the torch, while sticking cable in it. You will feel when the solder melts and the cable goes down. Make couple of turns for the solder to melt around.
Another way I used them - having cables with done ends with ring connector, I removed the prong from the plastic housing, hammer the sleeve end flat, drill a hole in it and used very short bolt to bolt cable to the prong. With some grinding the bolted connector will fit back into plastic housing.

TCBob
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for the ideas both on connectors and set up. All good. Looks like I was just using wrong terms for my google search! These are exactly what I was looking for! I was just thinking a little too limited, the winch, tow truck jumpers and Aircraft make so much sense.

Special thanks to fpoole - for the photos and extension cord idea!

Traver8 - I agree a 12 vdc CPAP option would likely be cheaper...but I am always amazed at the extra stuff we (especially when grand children are with us) end up plugging in for the 110 vac. AND I just kind of like the redundancy of the extra battery capacity. It has proven helpful on more than one occasion.

Any other ideas on "Threads" here for installation ideas would be very welcome. As I mentioned in original post, I know i have seen some here, but have been stumped on "Search Words" to find.
2004 S&S 8.5 SC Ponderosa
1999 Ford F-350 4X4 7.3-PSD DRW

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
ajriding wrote:
+1 for the Anderson.
I have two batteries in the truck bed and connect them with Anderson.

Keep in mind these shown above require to be soldered in, but are very good DC plugs.

The SB350 terminals CAN be crimped but they require hydraulic crimpers !

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
+1 for the Anderson.
I have two batteries in the truck bed and connect them with Anderson. I have big ones.
I ran through the wall with bolts that carry the current instead of fishing in wire…

Keep in mind these shown above require to be soldered in, but are very good DC plugs.

I have heavy cables and just set up camper so cables are a sideways U shape and same on battery side, so when loading/unloading I can move truck a few feet and not harm the cables or pull them.

I get TC about 2 feet from cab, then plug/unplug them and all is good. The rest of the magic happens inside.

Traver8
Explorer
Explorer
TCBob, if all you are trying to provide power to is your CPAP - have you looked into 12vdc power options for it? Might be simpler and easier, maybe cheaper.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The industry "standard" for things like electric pallet jacks, fork lifts and commonly used on tow truck jumper leads are Anderson SB Conectors. These are available in 50A to 350A ratings.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used connections like Ski Pro ^. I installed a diode isolator under the hood, and ran battery cable gauge wires to through bulkhead posts high in the front of the box. I made shortie cables with the connector from the bulkhead fittings to the batteries in the camper. I can quick disconnect without tools when unloading the camper. I can remove the truck half of the cables from the box lugs to store it out of the way when hauling stuff with the truck.

14.6v measured at the batteries with the engine running.

I disconnect the little blue charging wire in the camper cord end to the truck, but leave it alone on the truck end so it works for my other trailers that have emergency brake batteries.

Any connector mentioned above that is rated for the alternator amperage will work.

My new campers batteries are at the total opposite end of the camper

KMLsquared
Explorer
Explorer
There is also high current plugs used on semi trailers for charging the lift gate batteries.

Liftgate charge plug
2002 Doge RAM LB QC 4x4 HO 6spd
2003 Rampage 33TB
2007 CRF80F
2006 TTR50E
2004 CRF70
2002 TTR125L
2002 Banshee
1969 Baja Bug

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We use a bunker industry one on the wrecked that is 175A for 1/0AWG gauge wire.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
From aviation - aircraft external power connectors - 12 and 24 VDC

Aircraft Spruce
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I use quick connects used for attaching a winch to a vehicle, where the winch is removable. Amazon here;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KHQQY7E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Impossible to reverse voltage due to design.

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Yah, the plugs that I use, are quick connects..

Takes a little bit of Crimping to put the wires in depending upon gauge etc.. but they're kinda kewl as I use them for the additional 8 6vt in the white boxes... and when off loading just disconnect them...
I also have a 10' extension so I can keep camper off loaded and truck by it's side and reconnect them....

Here's a link for the pics, you'll kinda have to browse thru them, but I had 2 batts each in the black boxes and swapped them out for 4 batts in the white boxes... Watch the gauge of wiring... I went from 2 gauge to 4/0000... It makes a big difference..

Hope that helps...
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10’ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow N’ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website