Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Quick Connect for Extra Batteries in truck bed?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Quick Connect for Extra Batteries in truck bed?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 09:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

+1 for the Anderson.
I have two batteries in the truck bed and connect them with Anderson.

Keep in mind these shown above require to be soldered in, but are very good DC plugs.

The SB350 terminals CAN be crimped but they require hydraulic crimpers !

TCBob

Junction City, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/19 11:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you everyone for the ideas both on connectors and set up. All good. Looks like I was just using wrong terms for my google search! These are exactly what I was looking for! I was just thinking a little too limited, the winch, tow truck jumpers and Aircraft make so much sense.

Special thanks to fpoole - for the photos and extension cord idea!

Traver8 - I agree a 12 vdc CPAP option would likely be cheaper...but I am always amazed at the extra stuff we (especially when grand children are with us) end up plugging in for the 110 vac. AND I just kind of like the redundancy of the extra battery capacity. It has proven helpful on more than one occasion.

Any other ideas on "Threads" here for installation ideas would be very welcome. As I mentioned in original post, I know i have seen some here, but have been stumped on "Search Words" to find.

2004 S&S 8.5 SC Ponderosa
1999 Ford F-350 4X4 7.3-PSD DRW

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 11:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anderson plugs are used commercially in electric forklifts and they pass the field tests all the time, so hard to beat the design.
Few tips how to deal with cables as the big crimping tool is not easy to get.
I did solder some heavy cable using propane torch from plumbing jobs.
Remove the metal prong from the plastic, put it in the vise, or vise grip with hole facing the sky, put some cut solder inside with flux and then warm up with the torch, while sticking cable in it. You will feel when the solder melts and the cable goes down. Make couple of turns for the solder to melt around.
Another way I used them - having cables with done ends with ring connector, I removed the prong from the plastic housing, hammer the sleeve end flat, drill a hole in it and used very short bolt to bolt cable to the prong. With some grinding the bolted connector will fit back into plastic housing.

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used scrap wood to isolate the metal prongs from the metal vice. The vice was a giant heat sink that make it take a lot longer to heat up the prong. The wood isolated the cold vice from the prong and worked nicely

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/19 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also used the Anderson connectors between truck, camper and enclosed trailer. A hammer crimp tool works well for these large gauge contacts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKHSPVGHzNI

[image]

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Quick Connect for Extra Batteries in truck bed?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS