cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canadian Satellite in the Southern US

Canuck_Travelle
Explorer
Explorer
Seeing that its getting later in 2019 (August 12 as I write this) I am beginning to think "TV IN FLORIDA" when we get back to our winter home around first part of November, 2019.

The thoughts running through my mind since I am using Shaw Direct is how many channels will be available or will there be the few I like. Since we are Maritimer's and we are on the "advanced Shaw" channel network we watch 58 CBC, 60 Global, 61 ATV also channel 491 BNN Bloomberg. Also like a few US News channels from Shaw Direct which we subscribe to..

I have been looking through the link on here re the channels, on the satellite, there are apparently two satellites F2 and G1, if the channels stay on F2 we can get them in Florida, if on G1 we will not and if they come back or stay on F2 as HD we will be able to receive them so in short after October 13th (13th) we should know what channels we can receive in the southern US. Please correct me if I am wrong as I am a neophyte at all this!

Now if this scenario does not work out and receiving Shaw Direct is a non-starter what is our alternative?
There are two alternatives as I see them;
1.) Sling Box.
2.) Stream the TV over the internet using Shaw Free Range TV and a subscription to a VPN (Virtual Private Network) like ExpressVPN, BulletVPN, NordVPN or Surfshark to name a few.

The Sling Box route involves purchasing the unit (also very pricy) and hooking it up to the Shaw Direct system in our house and more or less "Slinging" the info over the internet and picked up at ones remote location, one must (I think) also purchase an app with a monthly fee (again I think).

So bottom line is I am looking for thoughts from others on what they do already, are planning to do if the channels off Satellite F2 is not available or if available not carrying the channels you want to watch.

Have any considered or are using Streaming, using a VPN or using a Slingbox or will they just give up on Canadian TV in a southern location if the new Shaw Direct is out or does not provide the channels that you want. I have purchased an Outside Antenna to use short term in Florida as there are many channels available on it but also several that I would not be interested in but at least a quick way of getting some TV but no Canadian TV of course!.

I do have in Canada at our home Fibre-OP at a 150 Meg down and up (Sometimes a bit less) and a 10 Meg DSL Service down and a 1.5 Meg up in Florida. I leave this on at home during the six months we are snowbirds. The Florida DSL is very steady not varying by very little from the 10 Meg download. So I think I am a good candidate for either Sling Box or Streaming using a VPN Service for Network speed. In our park we have a hard connection rather than the park WI-FI which is very chancy as its speed is up and down and some RV's use it for lengthy downloads thus making it useless for this purpose..

Love to hear any suggestions from other snowbirds or anyone in our position TV wise or possibly is contemplating doing either of the two alternatives suggested above.
2017 Chev Silverado LTZ,6.2 Engine,8 SPEED,4WD, Nav Option, Leather Package, almost all options.
16 REPLIES 16

Canuck_Travelle
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
I'm pretty sure that in the end my Shaw channels will cover everything I want. By the time their F satellites die it'll be time for me to stop snowbirding.

Good way of putting it, maybe too much worring eh!

On the Sling Box subject I see where there are good prices on used ones so might pick one up to try, the Technology will give me something else to do in Florida and if out and about I can pick up the news back home like how much snow the folks back home got...LOL....no wonder they hate my calls!
2017 Chev Silverado LTZ,6.2 Engine,8 SPEED,4WD, Nav Option, Leather Package, almost all options.

Canuck_Travelle
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
I'm pretty sure that in the end my Shaw channels will cover everything I want. By the time their F satellites die it'll be time for me to stop snowbirding.

Good way of putting it, maybe too much worring eh!

On the Sling Box subject I see where there are good prices on used ones so might pick one up to try, the Technology will give me something else to do in Florida and if out and about I can pick up the news back home like how much snow the folks back home got...LOL....no wonder they hate my calls!

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II

Canuck_Travelle
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
I was going to recommend joining digitalhome.ca which is an excellent resource, but I see you've already posted exactly the same question there.

The only other thing I will say is that Shaw Direct has THREE satellites. G1 cannot be received in Florida but F1R and F2 can. Any channels on the latter two (after Shaw Direct has finished juggling) will be available in Florida.

Thanks Joe Bedford, its looking like a VPN of any kind might not work as Shaw Direct has Technology to stop it, gonna be too late by the time we get there to change directions so I think in our case we might bite the bullet and get a Sling Box, it does work as a Canadian Resident in our Park has it and had it before BELL shut off their footprint to the southern US...I think in or about 2012??, I dont really know these folks real well or I would be able to pick their brain (now I wish I had checked with them on their Sling Box..O Well, too late now) funny now but I heard the wife at the time when Bell moved the Satellite footprint lamenting about "its crazy all the UPS trucks coming in bringing Shaw Direct Dishes, etc., because all the Bell Snowbirds lost their Canadian TV" I guess she was thinking what a great move they made having the Sling Box...LOL

Yes, I posted on Digitalhome.ca (might as well pick everyones brain eh?) and you are right that is a great Forum as is this for all especially Canadian Snowbirds.

Thanks again for your reply!

quartzster
Explorer
Explorer
Canuck Travellers wrote:
"Using Shaw Free Range will not work with a VPN."

The VPN's I mentioned are supposed to allow that content through, see below for more info, I wonder if anyone on here has tried this technology to see if it works. I know what you are saying I used to get that "You flown too far" when in Florida and trying "Streaming" using my regular Internet but as I said before it is sold as a working technology....all else fails I will subscribe to it from Florida, (you can get three months free) ...than we all will know, I am betting it works for one of these five or more not listed VPN's
Here is the site

On edit another Forum I go to also claims "It don't work" re using a Special VPN but did not specify which or all VPN's....we will see.....

I use one of the major vpn's and it does not work, I would say that none of them will work for shaw freerange, but haven't tried them all. Vpn's do work for sports blackouts.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
agesilaus wrote:
All TV broadcast satellites orbit the equator. So Florida actually gives you a better view of your satellite than Canada does.
Actually it depends which way the transponders are pointed. Transponders aimed for arctic reception probably won't be available in Florida.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I was going to recommend joining digitalhome.ca which is an excellent resource, but I see you've already posted exactly the same question there.

The only other thing I will say is that Shaw Direct has THREE satellites. G1 cannot be received in Florida but F1R and F2 can. Any channels on the latter two (after Shaw Direct has finished juggling) will be available in Florida.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:
All TV broadcast satellites orbit the equator. So Florida actually gives you a better view of your satellite than Canada does.

If only it was that simple. While your hypothesis is correct your answer is wrong. Most satellites have the ability to focus the beam so that only a specific area can receive a specific broadcast. This is how Dish and DirecTV are able to provide local Network programming only to small portions of the US covering the general area of the local.
In Canada, Bell Express Vu is not available at all in the US once you drop down past the upper couple of States. Shaw IS available in the Entire US and some of Mexico EXCEPT for the programming broadcast from their newest satellite (G11?, I forget). That satellite beam if very well focused and reception South of the US border is highly limited and not available at all once you get a couple of States South of the border.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Canuck_Travelle
Explorer
Explorer
From another site "Channels left or not left" the poster crossed out the ones in red that will be changed (Just let the link set a spell) now this was in June and it might have changed and maybe changed again but this poster's shot at it (I think the poster has some inside knowledge on it so worth checking)
poster

Here is some info from Shaw Direct re Channel changes Shaw

Canuck_Travelle
Explorer
Explorer
"Using Shaw Free Range will not work with a VPN."

The VPN's I mentioned are supposed to allow that content through, see below for more info, I wonder if anyone on here has tried this technology to see if it works. I know what you are saying I used to get that "You flown too far" when in Florida and trying "Streaming" using my regular Internet but as I said before it is sold as a working technology....all else fails I will subscribe to it from Florida, (you can get three months free) ...than we all will know, I am betting it works for one of these five or more not listed VPN's
Here is the site

On edit another Forum I go to also claims "It don't work" re using a Special VPN but did not specify which or all VPN's....we will see.....

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
DTV satellites and I assume Shaw satellites have the ability to control the beam transmit pattern in complex shapes. The DTV National 101W satellite for example excludes most of Canada and Mexico while covering the 48 states.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

quartzster
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
agesilaus wrote:

Spot beamed perhaps.

Yes

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:

Spot beamed perhaps.

quartzster
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:

The trouble is, we're not supposed to be getting any channels south, anywhere. That is because Directv and Dish do not want any other satellite services available.

So we get certain channels on two satellites and none on the other,
as soon as you cross the border, as a result. That could still change and we may get even less.