cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Charleston SC

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
Just came back from a wedding at Wild Dunes Resort. Never been to that area before and had little time to check out the area but did spend a couple of hours in Charleston. Would love to go back with the TT and stay a little longer. After checking RVParkReviews, I was wondering if anyone has recommendations on CGs within about a half hour or so drive. Thanks for any info.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience
13 REPLIES 13

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
ken56 wrote:
Looking at going around the first week of December. Is the weather still fairly decent then? You would think I would know but I have never been there at that time of year.

It'll be chillier, but still pretty decent. We normally go in the middle of February and it average 60 degree days and 45 degree nights. It looks like December is about the same, but January is about 3 degrees cooler. A light jacket or sweatshirt and its very comfortable, especially coming from Maryland temps that are usually in the high 20's...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at going around the first week of December. Is the weather still fairly decent then? You would think I would know but I have never been there at that time of year.

LakeN
Explorer
Explorer
The main 3 mentioned are all good. Buck Hall is very cheap, small and has a wonderful Intracoastal Waterway view!
'16 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 25B
'14 Ford Focus Titanium Toad with Blue Ox tow system

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I never stayed at James Island but have reservations for late October. Also considered Buck Hall Recreation area, north of Charleston on the ICW. Mixed reviews. Might check it out when we are there.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
James Island is a fantastic park. Clean, spacious sites with lots of trees. Lots of amenities at the park... waterpark, climbing wall, hiker/biker paths, playgrounds, pools, etc. We stay there each year when we stop in Charleston coming back from Florida. Lots of food and grocery options within a couple minutes drive. Plenty quiet and peaceful. Very very easy access to Folly Beach, Charleston and Mt Pleasant.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Pawz4me wrote:
The campground at James Island County Park. It's a fairly easy 15-20 minute drive into the downtown/historic district. They also have a shuttle bus if you don't want the hassle of driving and finding a place to park.

X2

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
accsys wrote:
We normally stay at Oak Plantation just west of Charleston and an easy drive into town. We can usually get in to it when James Island has no room. It has a variety of sites, most of them a little larger than the normal RV Park and right on US 17 so easy in and out.

We've stayed at Oak Plantation a few times. It is a nice campground and good alternative if you can't get into James Island. It is also the closest to Downtown Charleston.

For those that aren't aware, there is RV parking in Downtown Charleston, in the parking garage by the visitor center, it's on the ground level. The last time we were in Charleston it was free. Not sure if it is still. The last time we went we knew we'd only be going into Charleston on our way out, so it worked out nice. We only live 3 hours from Charleston and didn't want to bother with bringing the car.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
The Mount Pleasant KOA fits your distance objective and is a well run, well maintained property. Weโ€™ve stayed there a few times and will definitely go back.

another vote here for koa mt pleasant

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
We normally stay at Oak Plantation just west of Charleston and an easy drive into town. We can usually get in to it when James Island has no room. It has a variety of sites, most of them a little larger than the normal RV Park and right on US 17 so easy in and out.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mount Pleasant is nice. However James Island is the go to CG in the area. Call early. It is hard to get into.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
The Mount Pleasant KOA fits your distance objective and is a well run, well maintained property. Weโ€™ve stayed there a few times and will definitely go back.

Make sure it's the mount pleasant KOA and not Charleston north

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
The campground at James Island County Park. It's a fairly easy 15-20 minute drive into the downtown/historic district. They also have a shuttle bus if you don't want the hassle of driving and finding a place to park.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K